Author Topic: :: Extreme Road Trip :: Q*BERT (@!#?@!? ) !!!  (Read 40835 times)

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
:: Extreme Road Trip :: Q*BERT (@!#?@!? ) !!!
« on: September 05, 2009, 03:12:22 PM »
Back three months ago... it's Wednesday, the 3rd of June 2009, I'm just back from my epic "Holiday in Florida / Texas".

The huge road trip is scheduled for tomorrow, very early.
This a not a typical road trip, It's a cabinet exchange. Let's load the cab' I'll give...

Yes, I'll let go this Pac Man Jr cabinet, which is a real Pac Man cabinet, but converted to Jr. I'm already more than happy with one Pac Man cabinet (this one), and Pat, who has the cab' I'm looking for, is looking for a dedicated Pac Man, so...

Let's prepare a special music CD to play in my car... Oh by the way, there is a special item on the following picture ::) I'll comment it after  :P  :arrow:

Ok, now let's go to sleep, and set the alarm at ...

Thursday , the 4rd of June 2009...4h30 am!  :ghost:

Yes, because this gonna be a huge one, I take few clothes and other stuffs... in case I've to sleep somewhere ::)

Argh... it's very early, but fortunately... it's summer time, so it's not as dark ...

More CD... I'll have a lot of time for listening them  8)

For this road trip, I'll cross all the France as you can see  :arrow:

Everything is ready, let's officially start this road trip  ;D :

Arriving at the French border...

Hey see... this is WOINIC, the biggest wild boar in the word! (more info about this right here)  :arrow:

After 2 hours  & half of driving, it's time to take my breakfast around the city of Reims :

Driving on the French highway is expensive... It happens too many times  :evil:  :arrow:

This coming picture is usually done at the end of the road trip...  8)  :arrow:

Arriving at Paris...

I'm alone for doing this road trip... I didn't have a lot of time for organizing it, and I didn't had enough time to invite a friend to come with me  :oops:... so I speak to myself ... I sing ... and I listen a lot of music!

Hey, I'm in Vierzon  ( see :: Report :: Exhibition / Rock'n'Brok years or THIS IS IT !!! VIERZON 2009 !!! topics).  :arrow:

Well, it's 12:26...

...I'm already very tired ...

... but ... does it is still far from here now?

:arrow: still 357KM to go @!#?@!  :ghost: :ghost: :ghost:

Hey, the caves of 'Rocamadour'... very famous spot in France  8)

France is a beautiful country, I like to 'road trip' here, but why the country is so big  :oops: ;)

At least... arriving at my final destination : Toulouse ...

Let's see... it's 4:00 PM.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 05:31:15 PM by DarthNuno »

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
Re: :: Extreme Road Trip :: Q*BERT (@!#?@!? ) !!!
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 06:08:24 PM »
I see a big hangar... I open the door and...

Welcome to STARCAB Arcade Shop  :-*  :arrow:

Welcome to the pat's lair  ;) It's a shop, it's a workshop, it's a game room... Awesome place  :P :-*

Pinballs  :arrow: :-*

I use to buy arcade parts from STARCAB.NET, but because I'm here... let's do some shopping (without shipping cost yyeaahhh!!!!)  :-* :-* :-*

All you need to repair games or to build mame cab is here... heaven!  :-*

Here's the man, here's Pat... while I'm doing my tour + shopping, he's preparing orders to ship...  :) :

Nice items here, see  :P  :arrow:

Tabletops collection  :-*  :arrow:

Marquee, CPO, ... I do my shopping of course  ::) :P

But for what the hell I'm here? So far from my home?  ::) ::) ::)

For Q*BERT of course

Here's a couple Q*BERT  ::)  :arrow:

TWO Q*bert's pinballs  :-* :-* :-* Man, I LOVE that pinball (I played on it like a crazy at the Vierzon 2009 fest') ... but ... but ... I'm a 'die hard' fan of the arcade game first  ::) :P ;D

So ?

So let's go to an other hangar  8)

This is it... this is really it... Q*BERT  :-* :-* :-* One the few last games still in my 'MUST HAVE' list  :arrow:

Ok, regarding the history of that cabinet. It's a dedicated Q*Bert, but It has been converted to a jamma multigame ( :ghost:), and when Pat got it, He started to converted it back to its original purpose ... Q*BERT  :-* So, he already did some work on it as you can see :

Ok, let's load the game very quick, in case he would change his mind  ::) :P  ;D  :arrow:

No, he won't of course... I know Pat now  :-* For the story I knew he had this cabinet since more than two years, and every month I asked him to sell it to me... but now he realizes he is working on so many projects, he would not have the time to finish it, and this cab wasn't in his priority list. So, as a favor I would say, he finally accepts that deal with me. Because he knows me, he know this cab will go into the heaven of old cabs, in a real safe place  ;) Thanks again Pat  :-*

...but I know you're very happy with your new cabinet too  :)  :arrow:

Did I told you I'm really happy too  :P :P :P  :arrow:

He doesn't have the original Q*Bert board, but he has a Q*Bert boot (jamma). Because the Q*Bert cab' is already in my car, he tries the board on an other jamma cab... seems ok at first sight :

:pac:  :ghost: :ghost: :ghost: :ghost:

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009, 06:58:46 PM »
OK my first idea on this road trip was to set ... something like a record ::) :P My idea was to accomplish the trip in less than 24 hours, alone... I thought it was possible, and ... I'm still sure it's possible but ... it sounds stupid and very dangerous at the end... and I'm a little bit to old for that ( :oops:) So... I accept his invitation : Be his guest until tomorrow.
For the story, even If I would like to go back to Belgium now, we won't let me go... because... I look so tired, and I can tell you I'm really tired...

So, let's have some good time here  :-*

Let's go back to the first hangar, in his office upstairs... nice  :-*  :arrow:

He was to tool for printing side arts, CPO, marquee ... and posters (I got my Star Wars cockpit poster printed on a mirror for him) :

Did you see that Cirqus Voltaire poster? Because print out of ink during the print, a small part of the poster (background on the right) is not well... Pat?
Ok Bruno... gift for you  :-* :-* :-*

Now, let's go to the Pat's house... hey, do you have a rabbit?  :arrow:

Cute! ...too bad Darth Nunette wasn't with me  ::) ...

Ok, because we are in Toulouse... impossible to miss the famous Toulouse sausages  ;D  :arrow:

It was a great evening with you and your wife Pat, thanks again for your kind hospitality  :-* :-* :-*

Before going to sleep Pat shows me an other jewel  :arrow:

Fully working... wow ... the warm sound of old music on this Seeburg... AWESOME  :-* :-* :-*

It's late now ...

I say good bye to Pat and his wife... because I'll leave tomorrow and I do not want to awake them... thanks for everything  :-* :-* :-*

After sleeping only 4 hours, it's time to go back on the road... again  8)  :arrow:

I'm easy ... I'm easy like a Sunday Friday morning...  :P ;D

I fact I'm still tired... RED BULL POWER!!!  :arrow:

Yeah!!! It's working ... I'm driving faster now... like RIDDDDDGGGGGGEEEEE RAAAAAAACCCCCCCCCCCEEERRRR !!! See  ;)  :arrow:

Usual 'back to home' picture... happy to finally read Q*Bert on a cabinet inside my car  ::) :P  :arrow:

Breakfast time...

Lunch time...

...few meters to go and ... a Q*Bert cabinet will enter 'officially' in Belgium  8)  :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:

...and ... I'm here... with the cabinet ... both safe... let's check the data now :

34H05 on road trip (including 4 hours of sleep) - 2036 KM on the road

But more than numbers, here's the real satisfaction!!! Q*Bert!!!

THIS IS IT!!! THIS IS REALLY IT!!! Q*BERT entering the Nuno's Lair V2  :-*  :arrow:

Here's the 'loot' of this road trip, in addition of the cab itself of course :

Now stay tuned for the restoration to come  ;)

:spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 07:04:23 PM by DarthNuno »

Ronald Reagan

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2009, 09:31:07 PM »
awesome trip. Q-bert rules, really nice to own such a cool cabinet.

Q-bert graffiti Amsterdam app. 1983
An Error Has Occurred!
The last posting from your IP was less than 40 seconds ago. Please try again later.

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2009, 10:54:06 PM »
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK ! Bruno found my holy grail in Europe !

And it is BEAUTIFUL !!!!!!!

I hate you ;) ;) ;)

Serious: Congrats my friend !! :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:

By the way, did you see this ? That would be +perfect+ for your Q*bert cab since the it is Jamma already:

http://www.jrok.com/xfer/msf

Will allow you to play all the Q*bert games plus lots more and the best thing is that it's not emulated ;)

Great-great road trip. If I had known Pat was in Toulouse I would have paid him a visit when I was on holiday in the Dordogne !

Did you pick-up that SI CPO ? I need one....

O, and if you plan on letting go one of those Q*bert CPO's......I'm game. I bet I'll never find one, so there's a distant plan to build a repro.....so I could really use it ;)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 10:58:10 PM by Level42 »

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2009, 10:59:31 PM »
nice big roadtrip !

thankx for the pics and story !  :spaceace:

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2009, 11:32:32 PM »
holy f***, bruno's got himself a q*bert  :o

congratulations on that fabulous score! and R-E-S-P-E-C-T for that roadtrip - hell of a ride. thx for sharing.

looking forward to the restoration!

@andré: don't worry, we'll both get our q*berts eventually (after all, import is always an option)
@bruno: nice marquees for great games. are those all on your must-have-list?
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2009, 09:01:44 AM »
Thanks guys  :-*

Yes André, I've seen you're looking for a Q*Bert too. I had to 'fight' more two years with Pat' ...and it finally happens.
I was seriously thinking about importing one (with other games 'almost' impossible to find in Europe too), but on the other hand, I've seen two or three times Q*Bert in UK during road trip (not for sale of course  :ghost:) ... so there is still hope for finding one in Europe.

Thanks for the link ( http://www.jrok.com/xfer/msf ) , it looks very interesting  :-* I've tried to search more information on the website, but cannot find anything else  :-[ Do you have more details about this?
I got a Q*Bert boot and a Jamma adapter, I'll try it to see if the game works fine and if that boot is accurate  ;)

For Ully, regarding the marquees, I would say they are all in the "Nice to have" ...but mhhhh! If I have a plan for a Moon Patrol or Robotron or Berzerk... they may joins the 'MUST have list'  ::) :P ;D

scr33n

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2009, 09:21:58 AM »
Woowww Bruno extreme roadtrip is the right word  :shock: :shock:
You have once again found a great treasure here in Europe  :-* :spaceace:
And now we want to see a Moon Patrol or a Robotron (I love this game  :-*) in your lair !!! Good luck for your research  :spaceace: :spaceace:
PROJECTS FROM SCRATCH:

Galaga - PacMan - Donkey Kong Red Cab - Track & Field Upright - Tempest - Burgertime - Gyruss - Defender - Track & Field Cocktail - Robotron 2084

RESTORATIONS:

Q*bert - Timber

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2009, 10:32:30 AM »
congratulations! she´s a beauty!!!! :-* :-* :-*
.. how do you manege to keep quiret this long??? - 3 month´s!!!
When i buy sonthing i really want, i can´t keep it a seecret that long!!
 :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2009, 12:09:12 PM »
Indeed pretty hard. I had been chasing my SW cockpit for a couple of months with mails going very slow (sometimes 3/4 weeks no answer, then settling a date, canceling it again, settling another date, going to see it first before arranging the pick-up, again some weeks until the real pick-up......it was hard to not tell anybody, but worth it :)

Bruno, the cab is in good hands and in a great place so I'm really happy you got it ! (Plus that it's an extra reason to come and visit you again soon ;) ;) ;) ).
One time, I discovered a Q*bert for sale on e-bay in the US for a very good price. No-one seemed to be bidding (probably because it was listed with a wrong name) and I tipped the guys at KLOV (Because I didn't see me pay shipping for that cab, plus all the hassle of actually getting it here). Forgot who, but one of the regulars on KLOV lived pretty close to the seller and won it.....he is forever in debt with me :P :P

There's not too much info about Jrok's board, but he's pretty fast in developing and gettting it ready for sale, as we've all seen with his excellent multi-Willams board (essentially this is the same board with an adapter to host the different CPU). I think the most work is programming all the surrounding hardware in the FPGA chip and also there's probably a lot of work getting the sound to be 100%.

I'm not really sure, but I thought I read about bootleg Q*bert boards not having all the sounds correct (maybe the samples) ?

What you really need to check: Is the knocker still in the cab ?
I totally LOVE that feature of Q*bert. I was startled the first time I heard that and 2 seconds later laughing out loud because of it's extreme coolness :D

Jrok hasn't released very much info but he wrote this on the KLOV forum (on a thread I started about this board):
The idea is to get as many of the games supported as possible. The base hardware is currently working and the version '1' soundboard is functional. Some of the titles are horizontal others are vertical and it's not going to rotate the screen in hardware.

I do plan on supporting the knocker for Q*bert and it'll have the cocktail mode for Q*bert's Qubes.

With "as many of the games" he means the games that were running on (basically) the same hardware. We did some inventory of games that MIGHT be able to run on that hardware (some are sure, some maybe):

Q*bert
FHMC Q*bert
Q*bert's cubes
Mello Yellow Q*bert
7-11 Q*bert (prototype)
Krull
Mad Planets
Insector
Reactor
Curveball
Tylz (prototype)
Scew Loose (Prototype, only 3 cabs produced)

Of course, I didn't include wether these games are vertical or horizontal but James already said he won't be doing the rotation in hardware (like Sinistar on his multi-Williams).
Also, a Q*bert cab has the joystick "tilted" of course and this will probably be a problem with the non-Q*bert games.

About "Screw Loose" Jrok writes:
It is in mame, the base hardware is the same as the other Mylstar games. Just the soundboard is radically different than the earlier games.

Two 6502's, 2 x AY-3-8193 sound chips, 1 x SP0250 speech generator and 1 x dual 8 bit DAC. It's total overkill  I'm working on this at the moment, although kinda slowly. It's the same as the pinball System 80 'B' soundboard and functionally the same as the Mach 3 soundboard.

If it will be as good as the multi-williams, this will be another fabulous product and perfect for Bruno's jamma-tized cab :)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 12:33:15 PM by Level42 »

gyruss

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2009, 02:06:42 PM »
Cool trip and really nice cab!

petieken

• Belgium
    • View Profile
    • My VAPS Entry
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2009, 04:41:08 PM »
That's a great cab you got there 8), and some nice marquees too :)
The cab looks to be in pretty good shape (even for it's age), good luck with the restoration!
It's a good thing Pat offered you to sleep a few hours at his place, that's indeed an extreme roadtrip :o
Wanted: Cadillacs and Dinosaurs CPS1 Q-Sound pcb | SegaSonic The Hedgehog Art & instruction set

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2009, 05:45:05 PM »
I drove the same distance to my holiday in the Dordogne and though it was a LOOOOOONG drive.....
And that for someone who drives about 65000 km/year.

Amazing road-trip, but I would have done the same for a Q*bert !

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2009, 06:42:29 PM »
Amazing road-trip, but I would have done the same for a Q*bert !

i guess i'd go EVERYWHERE for a q*bert or a moon patrol (or ... or ... or ...  ;))
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!