Author Topic: GH-28 : GALAXIAN THEATER for 28 players !!!  (Read 169746 times)

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
Re: GH-28 : GALAXIAN THEATER for 28 players !!!
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2011, 05:17:38 PM »

Thanks to the UGSF-SERIES website, here's the full content of the Galaxian3 press kit released in 1990 for the Osaka exposition... AWESOME  :-*  :arrow:

Damn! All these details... and I cannot read Japanese  :-\

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2011, 05:40:42 PM »
Impressive!

SeTTleR

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2011, 05:11:43 PM »
Wow! That thing is huge!! Would love to play this one day!
Mmh we need to find someone who can translate the documents. I'm currently learning japanese, but I think, I have to study a lot more in order to translate this :)
`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2011, 07:51:09 PM »
I'm waiting for Scr33n to make a replica.

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2011, 08:23:47 PM »
I'm waiting for Scr33n to make a replica.

ROFL!!!!!
+1

Reinhold

• Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2011, 08:55:49 PM »

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2011, 08:58:56 PM »
man, this thing is huuuge! i wonder if bruno would have disassembled this one as well ...  :P
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2012, 06:59:35 PM »
Found on Nico Video (a kind of YouTube in Japan) GH28 new footage, including a part of the briefing mission, a complete game, and also the 'exit from the ride'  8)  :arrow:

[CLICK ON THE PICTURE TO WATCH THE VIDEO]

Don't miss the end of the video, when the players are exiting the 'theater' ... can you spot the 'row' of Starblade? How many Driver's Eyes can you see?  ;) :P

uncletom

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2012, 09:30:54 AM »
Great job you're doing there nuno. I am just so grateful for you and our japanese members here on the forum, for your dedication and sharing all that info about these fantastic giant attractions, which I would have totally missed out on if it weren't for you guys.

Being located high up in Europe's northern, colder, regions I never had the opportunity to actually try either of these large 'space shooting theaters'. I once encountered the smaller 4-player Galaxian3 on a holiday in Paris, but it had the background scenery missing.

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2012, 08:37:05 PM »
Thanks you Uncletom  :-*

Happy to see there is some interest on this side of the earth!  ;) I've seen many pages on the web -GALAXIAN³ - related, but most of the time only in Japanese  :-\
Fortunately we have some Japanese members here who can help on this  ;)

I once encountered the smaller 4-player Galaxian3 on a holiday in Paris, but it had the background scenery missing.

Well, there's no GALAXIAN³ for 4 players... only 6, 16 ... or 28  ;)
Thanks to BIGJEJE, I have some parts of the Galaxian Theater who was ...in Paris  ;)

Here's a new video, quite interesting because it has been shoot in one take, from the briefing room to the air lock game, to the entrance, and finally to the exit...in one take!

Welcome back in the 3rd of June 1990  8)  :arrow:

[CLICK ON THE PICTURE TO WATCH THE VIDEO]

uncletom

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2012, 08:23:05 AM »
Super clip, thanks! I love the pilot's gloves, three different watches integrated in his glove there.

About the "4-player Galaxian3", I am positive that it wasn't the original konfiguration. But there were only four seats and four guns. Also the entrance I think was a bit modified because there was only one, not two. I guess that they had rebuilt it to fit in the smaller location. I remember that I was very thrilled about it, seeing it almost directly as I entered the arcade. But when I noticed that the background graphics wasn't there I understood that it wasn't fully functional.

uncletom

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2012, 09:13:37 AM »
Wow, namco must have spent some on the luxury inside the G3 28-player theatre. I just noticed you have these small indicator screen with 'power', 'shield' and stuff displayed next to your gun at each station.

But what I gather from the video the total game play is only around 3 minutes, that's excluding any instructions and end credits. Is this correct?

Also, from looking at the flyer/promo the whole 'theatre' seems supported by a single rotating collumn, so it's a moving platform. Kind of like the Galaxy Force deluxe machine. What puzzles me, because it seems to be a solid disc platform, is how the game play proceeds when one side of the platform inclines (platform is able to incline as well as rotate, based on the drawing in the flyer), how does it affect the players on the other side of the theatre? When one side tilts down, the opposite side tilts up (?)

So based on these physical facts, all players sit in the 'space ship' which is equiped with a multi-gunner (circular shaped) gun-tower .. sort of?

uncletom

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2012, 09:30:10 AM »
Also, I notice that the 28-player theathre has only flat shaded, non-textured polygons. Now I am inspecting the flyer again, and it seems like a mega-version of Starblade. Not Galaxian³ at all, but rather 99% Starblade.

The player filming this latest clip, it seems his view is to the rear of our gun-ship. Because at the start of the game he is launched backwards. Right? (I guess this moment is when the platform tilts slightly to simulate launching acceleration .. )

And, watching the clip I can see only what seems to be real-time rendered plygons. Both small targets and larger enemy flag ships are flat shaded polygons. And the planet explosion at the end is also very much like in Starblade.

Shouldn't the 28-player theatre infact be called "Starblade 28-player theatre" instead of "Galaxian³"?

Or, to be correct, perhaps the large theatre should be called Starblade, and what was released as "Starblade" in 1992 should infact be "Starblade - single player version", or simply "Starblade: Geosword"?

What is the name of the larger gun-ship in Galaxian³? Oops! I've learned that it's "Dragoon J2", here: https://www.dragonslairfans.com/smfor/index.php?topic=411.0
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 03:25:00 PM by uncletom »

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2012, 09:18:29 AM »
Ladies & gentlemen, here's finally a video of the famous 'GM16' model (Galaxian3 for 16 players) :

...that includes the briefing room and a full game.

Note the difference between the GH28 : the game briefing this time is completely presented on a video... no human like the GH28.

Enjoy.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 09:31:08 AM by DarthNuno »

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2013, 11:45:56 AM »

Thanks to the UGSF-SERIES website, here's the full content of the Galaxian3 press kit released in 1990 for the Osaka exposition... AWESOME  :-*  :arrow:

Damn! All these details... and I cannot read Japanese  :-\

Found the 'press kit version' pictures on this Japanese blog, and ... in english:-*

Too bad the available pictures are too small! Cannot really read this  :-\

I tried to found how to contact the blog owner for asking him where he got that US version of the flyer/press kit and request bigger pictures if possible... but I cannot figure out how to send him a mail (it's possible to send him a comment via his blog, but there's a picture check (written in Japanese) to confirm I cannot input ??? Anyone speaking Japanese to help me for contacting him?   :'(