Author Topic: ## Road Trip ## GALAXIAN THEATER from NAMCO !!!  (Read 744297 times)

Geosword X

• View Profile
    • My Youtube page
Re: ## Road Trip ## GALAXIAN THEATER from NAMCO !!!
« Reply #300 on: January 27, 2013, 02:04:15 AM »
Having actually played it BITD: do not leave anything out Bruno. The G3 must be G3, with all "bells and whistles". You don't want to see other machines' lights or other lighting from the corner of your eyes.
The feeling of being in the "theatre", totally "encapsulated" gives you a feeling of being inside the spaceship....believe me, every part has it's function. Even the sound would be wrong without side-panels or leaving other stuff away....

But I'm confident Bruno's plan is: as original as possible  ;D

A agree with you man! Why play G3 with open walls and Daytona USA blaring next to you, its built as an enclosed theater, not an open room projection like in today's home theaters. Bruno PLEASE take your time with your project it's coming along so well!!

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #301 on: January 27, 2013, 07:45:54 AM »
EPISODE 09: "The Walls"

Starring : Darth Nuno

It's now time to close the Theater by fixing the side panels.

[mhhh, cannot easy remove these 5 years old stickers now (don't have my stickers remover product atm), will do it l8ter...]

Fixing these side panels are not too complicated (except they are heavy to manipulate alone), but they must be perfectly aligned to each other, or the light may enter into the Theater. The correct alignment also depend how accurate the base elements (boxes under the side panels) were placed (they all must be horizontal!).
So far so good  :)  :arrow:

Namco engineers did it well! You can't see it on the pictures, but each panel has few small holes that allow to slightly adjust the panel, by inserting a (strong)nail into. Men, without that it would be impossible for me to do the job alone, especially in my case : I only have access from the 'inside' of the theater, the outside part is against the wall!  :P

Right side done!  :arrow:

I'm happy... I didn't find back the five 'screen plastic cover'.... they were hidden in a box still in my attic! They are now 'on location'  8) See, it's the 5 black covers on the top of the screen. They hide the screws. Note that they supposed to have a sticker on them, missing on mine. Will reproduce them l8ter.
Oh, I also found back the 'base plastic cover', but they are not fixed atm...

General view of the Namco mother ship!  ;D  :arrow:

Ok, same job for the left side...

Yeah, it's huge... NAMCO is HHUUGGGEE!  :-* :-* :-*

The Toutânkhamon's grave Theater closes gradually...  8)

Now, let's fix the 6 screen roofs.

These 6 panels have to go here, on the top of the screen, by sliding them under the brackets  :arrow:

View from the top  8)  :arrow:

Done!

Guys, these panels are really heavy for being manipulated alone, especially when I have to slide them between the brackets on the top of the theater! It's was a pain to do that!

View from the front... impressive! I wanna play now!  ;D

While I contemplate the Theater, I can hear a 'boom'! What the hell??
Ok, see that ladder on the top of that Berzerk?  :arrow:

Well, I put my laptop on the top of that ladder in order to film the restoration process with its integrate camera...it fell behind the Berzerk!  :evil:  :arrow:

Ok, still alive! But now I'll use a safer and better way to do it... with this brand new camera!  8)  :arrow:

Starting from now, the video will have better quality! (I should have to buy it at the beginning of the project)

The End

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: January 27, 2013, 07:55:11 AM »
I'm happy... I didn't find back the five 'screen plastic cover'.... they were hidden in a box still in my attic! They are now 'on location'  8) See, it's the 5 black covers on the top of the screen. They hide the screws. Note that they supposed to have a sticker on them, missing on mine. Will reproduce them l8ter.

If you have the file, i can take them along with my ongoing sticker run on vinyl if you want. i am in the middle of a run right now..

Let me know  ;)

The theater is comming along great !  :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 07:56:42 AM by Etienne MacGyver »

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: January 27, 2013, 07:56:31 AM »
Thanks Etienne, will check that  ;)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: January 27, 2013, 09:41:54 AM »
a lot has already been said about that, bruno, so i'll save my breath and just add this: you're a mad man :P 8) ;D

what i've been wondering though is this: why did you decide to "squeeze" that galaxian theater in the corner of the room? if i were you, i would have centered it in the middle of the wall, so that you could actually see the left and the right outer side of the theater. i would then have put arcade machine on the oppising sides of the theaters' sidepanels, so that you always have the theater in your back while playing those machines. imho it would have looked so much nicer and not that "squeezed" ...
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: January 27, 2013, 09:48:39 AM »
Well, in short, I tried (thanks to Google SketchUp) all the location/orientation possibilities for the Theater, and that one is the best one. You'll better figure out what I mean when you'll see the Theater and the other games in the V3...  8) But yeah, that Theater located in the middle of the V3 would be a blast, it was my initial idea, but my V3 is not large enough for that scheme... :roll:

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: January 27, 2013, 09:48:52 AM »
Episode E08 'Like a Huge Meccano" is now available in video. :arrow:

8)

Nic-fryer

• View Profile
« Reply #307 on: January 27, 2013, 01:28:01 PM »
Well, in short, I tried (thanks to Google SketchUp) all the location/orientation possibilities for the Theater, and that one is the best one. You'll better figure out what I mean when you'll see the Theater and the other games in the V3...  8) But yeah, that Theater located in the middle of the V3 would be a blast, it was my initial idea, but my V3 is not large enough for that scheme... :roll:

Could we see any of these sketch up positions or have they been deleted?

Also can we see a sketch up of the entire lair (V1,V2,V3) when it's finished. Now that I've written it it seems difficult. But if you want :)
- BLANK -

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: January 27, 2013, 01:43:14 PM »

i'm sure you've tried various "virtual" combinations, but judging from the following picture there seems to be tons of space to the left of the theater :arrow:

all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: January 27, 2013, 02:20:05 PM »

i'm sure you've tried various "virtual" combinations, but judging from the following picture there seems to be tons of space to the left of the theater :arrow:

Maby his planning to put games against the NAMCO sign on this side then??

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: January 27, 2013, 02:42:58 PM »

that would be a shame - that namco sign is so cool and needs to stay entirely visible! (imho of course)

uncletom

• View Profile
« Reply #311 on: January 27, 2013, 02:53:24 PM »
Nothing is really terminal. It's just a large cabinet, it can be moved. Or disassembled to a certain degree, then moved and reassembled. If the initial plan isn't working out too well Bruno can easilly redecorate. In a month, or two, you know, after a good nights sleep, a few belgian burgers and maybe some steroids - easy peasy. No problem at all.

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: January 27, 2013, 03:33:53 PM »

that would be a shame - that namco sign is so cool and needs to stay entirely visible! (imho of course)

It is cool, but look how high it sits, i dont even think it will be covered by the machines...

uncletom

• View Profile
« Reply #313 on: January 28, 2013, 10:05:58 AM »
It's certainly taller than Starblade, seeing the cabinet side panels next to the G3 there in the picture.

but.. aha! Did Bruno 'squash' his Starblade? - I did it to mine. The game is super awesome, no doubt, but I just couldn't find the space to leave the cabinet intact. And (please don't hit me...) it can be played in a more comfortable fashion with a starwars-yoke on any low-res cabinet.

And speaking as a doctor about to amputate a patient's leg; the same can be done to the Galaxian 3. It can be 'compressed' in a similar way.

atarikid

• View Profile
« Reply #314 on: January 28, 2013, 12:50:15 PM »

View from the front... impressive! I wanna play now!  ;D

The yellow lighting could be a problem here. Are you going to cover the raster ceiling?
Coder of EasyMame
- Pinball Star Trek NG
- Mame cabinet