Author Topic: [Restoration] The King of the Jungle: Aaayihiah-Yihi-Ahauauooooo  (Read 240976 times)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
Re: [Restoration] The King of the Jungle: Aaayihiah-Yihi-Ahauauooooo
« Reply #180 on: January 05, 2012, 11:03:28 AM »

touching the wires as stated above yielded no result, but i found out why: in order to accept credits, the board needs +12v and since i'm still missing those, it simply can't work. however, with my newly aquired splice connectors this problem will hopefully be solved soon!
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #181 on: January 05, 2012, 11:10:33 AM »
Already mentioned somewhere in this topic I guess? But here's something for an old 80's magazine 8)  :arrow:

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 05, 2012, 11:13:15 AM »

yesterday evening, i brought the chassis home for a cap kit round, this morning, i set up my soldering stuff on my school desk (good thing the holidays still last)!

caps ready, i'm ready, let's go

i've done a couple of successful cap kits in the meantime and once again i have to admit that i really like that job (although i prefer monitors which don't need any attention at all)

however, it's still fascinating for me to see the difference in size between the old and the new caps

everything's done under the watchful eyes of my cat gnocchi :-*

a "colorful bunch" of old capacitors

this afternoon, it's testing time for the capped chassis - fingers crossed!!!
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #183 on: January 05, 2012, 01:05:57 PM »
I want to be a teacher too ! Already back at work since tuesday :(:(

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 05, 2012, 04:19:29 PM »
I want to be a teacher too ! Already back at work since tuesday :(:(

gotta love those school holidays :-*

anyway, just came back from my mother's place. first thing i did was put the capped chassis back into the cab :arrow:

the good news is that the slight "wobble" of the monitor is gone, the bad news is that the distortion at the top is not :(

time to try the potentiometers! i expanded the picture vertically which made the picture already better. then i realized that by moving the picture further to the right with the horizontal centering potentiometer, the distortion at the top got better and better. moving the picture to the very right of the screen almost makes the distortion disappear entirely. however, i don't want to have 3 centimeters of nothingness on the left and the picture itself "glueing" on the right of the screen, so i moved it back a little bit. now it's almost centered and still looking much better than before. additionally, i've just found in the manual that there is a horizontal raster position adjustment (= a jumper) by which you can move the screen to the left and the right. i'll try that the next time i'm up at my mum's place, for now this is what the screen looks like at the moment :arrow:

then i turned to the next problem, the missing +12v. grabbed one of the splice connectors i received this morning and a yellow wire for the switching power supply connection and set everything up

one push with the pliers (as suggested by andré) and the connection is super tight!

hooked the new wires up to the switcher ....

... and 12 volts we have! :)

connected the coin door to the wiring harness, turned the machine back on and immediately heard a hum from the speaker - so far, so good. walked around the machine and saw one coin insert light on, the other one off (note that i had replaced both of the lights with new ones). tried to add a credit with the microswitch: nothing! had a look at the non-working coin insert light and the moment i touched it the entire system went down :evil:. disconnected the coin door from the harness, power everything back up - still working (puh). then i tried to add a credit the way that bela had suggested by touching the ground pin and the coin mechs pin simultaneously on the harness connector, but nothing happened at all, no credits were added to the game! :'(

i forgot to measure whether the +12v are reaching the end of the connector (but why should they not), i'll have to do that later!

any suggestions?

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: January 05, 2012, 04:32:11 PM »

any suggestions?

Yes, degauss that monitor, there is a bit of a purple in the left bottom corner  ;D

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: January 05, 2012, 05:55:03 PM »

read something about a cmos battery being responsible for the game not coining up? cmos battery on jungle king? i need to dig into this ...

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 05, 2012, 06:37:10 PM »
what pin do you short with ground ?

italiandoh

• Italy
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: January 05, 2012, 06:56:29 PM »
time to try the potentiometers!
any suggestions?

Yes, did you check the power supply stage of the monitor? Does it output correct voltages according to the manual?

Matteo

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: January 05, 2012, 07:12:05 PM »
what pin do you short with ground ?

i took the connector going to the coin door. the manual says that pin 1 is ground, pin 2 is left coin insert, pin 3 is right coin insert. then i took a wire, connected one side to pin 1, the other to pin 2 (later pin 3) and hoped it would add a credit - which it didn't. did i do this correctly?

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: January 05, 2012, 07:12:47 PM »
Yes, did you check the power supply stage of the monitor? Does it output correct voltages according to the manual?

all i did was check whether 120v are fed into the monitor. anything else i should measure?

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 05, 2012, 07:37:07 PM »
Try to short pin "j" from Connector "G" solderside to ground and see what happens.

if it coins up, then follow the wire from that pin to where it goes..

http://www.mikesarcade.com/cgi-bin/spies.cgi?action=url&type=pinout&page=JungleKing.txt

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: January 05, 2012, 07:42:03 PM »
take ground from the connector as well? is my way of shorting ths correct?

italiandoh

• Italy
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 06, 2012, 11:38:34 AM »

all i did was check whether 120v are fed into the monitor. anything else i should measure?

Yes, you need to make sure the power supply stage of the monitor is in working order before trying to adjust it. And leave it on for 15 mins before that. What model is it? In the service manual you should find the electrical schematic and/or the electronic adjustment procedure for it.

Matteo

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: January 06, 2012, 12:05:18 PM »
wells gardner 19k4903