Author Topic: [Restoration] Moon Patrol - Return to the Lunar Surface  (Read 99390 times)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
Re: [Restoration] Moon Patrol - Return to the Lunar Surface
« Reply #60 on: February 02, 2011, 07:32:56 PM »
Nice C64 you have there  ;)

i left it there on purpose for you guys. unfortunately it is broken!!! :'(
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

baritonomarchetto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 02, 2011, 07:33:20 PM »
Great work so far Ully! When a monitor start working as it should is always the best gratification  :spaceace:
"A true Gentleman leaves no puzzle unsolved"

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #62 on: February 02, 2011, 08:03:10 PM »
Nice C64 you have there  ;)

i left it there on purpose for you guys. naturally it is broken!!! :'(

There...fixed that...

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 03, 2011, 06:37:28 PM »

the restoration continues ... with the control panel!

time to get the old overlay off. remember, it had some cigarette burns and holes in it

it comes off pretty easily, but you can already see the nasty glue underneath

the blank control panel - still full of glue!

i'm using a heat gun and a scraper - almost like andre's patented control panel cooking method ;D

nasty! i should put those in a plastic bag and sell them as raisins ;)

i'm filling the holes where the screws hold the metal plate in place to make sure you don't see them through the overlay

bring on that fresh overlay! 8)

here it is - courtesy of arcadeshop.com

in position, ready to be applied

it starts off easily ...

... but gets more complicated! because of the two large bends it keeps rocking back and forth, so i'm fixing it to the table with clamps!

fits like a glove

the quality of that reproduction overlay is P-E-R-F-E-C-T

the final result: new buttons installed, joystick cleaned & rebuilt  :-*

:spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:

to be continued ...
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

scr33n

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 03, 2011, 07:49:02 PM »
Woooowwww !!!! So sexy  :-*

Congrats  :spaceace: as always  :lol:
PROJECTS FROM SCRATCH:

Galaga - PacMan - Donkey Kong Red Cab - Track & Field Upright - Tempest - Burgertime - Gyruss - Defender - Track & Field Cocktail - Robotron 2084

RESTORATIONS:

Q*bert - Timber

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 03, 2011, 07:54:54 PM »
The new overlay is looking great Ully!

those on the other hand look like Boogers to me...    ;D

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2011, 07:59:36 PM »
those on the other hand look like Boogers to me...

uaaaahhhhhhhhhh - what have you got in your nose, etienne? :lol:

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #67 on: February 03, 2011, 08:11:49 PM »
What ? No CPO cooking ? See, that's why you've got glue rests....

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 03, 2011, 08:30:34 PM »
What ? No CPO cooking ? See, that's why you've got glue rests....

don't know if CPO cooking and wood are such a perfect match ...

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #69 on: February 03, 2011, 08:31:57 PM »
But, isn't that a metal top layer on there ?

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 03, 2011, 08:42:33 PM »
But, isn't that a metal top layer on there ?

it is, but the metal is just a piece of the panel, the entire thing was "soaked" in glue! btw, what are you doing here, andré, shouldn't you be working on a panel yourself? ;)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #71 on: February 03, 2011, 09:45:45 PM »
Almost finished.....

Mmmmmm, you could have used a microwave. That will have a lot of effect on the metal, but little on the wood....

(Just kidding).

It looks like the metal is simply screwed to the wood ?

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 03, 2011, 10:00:22 PM »
One word...

REWLS!  :spaceace:

gamestencils

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 06, 2011, 01:33:27 AM »
Should you ever want to try the blue on bolts again, spin the bolt in a drill with some 400 grit sandpaper to rough it up and get rid of any galvanization.. then dip it a few times, put it back in the drill and buff with some paper towel.  They always look yucky to me right out of the dip too, but the final buff makes them nice!

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 06, 2011, 06:33:38 PM »

the restoration continues (i need to get this finished for my birthday - two weeks and counting ...)

a couple of days ago, i received a package from belgium

inside, two missing puzzle pieces: the sample sheet i had cut out of the cabinet and a big can of paint which bruno had scanned for me from the sample

i can't resist, i have to compare the two puzzle pieces immediately if there is a match between them - and at first glance there definitely is :)

but before trying out the paint directly on the cabinet, i need to close up the wound which had been left by the operation earlier

adding some glue for the "healing process" ...

... and some weight to keep it firmly in place!

back in place, but still not finished - more cosmetic surgery to be performed

filling the cuts with woodfiller (and evening out some imperfections of the "first patient" on the right)

here we go, the patient after making a full recovery! :-*

now i can finally try bruno's paint on the real deal: my beloved moon patrol cabinet. for testing purposes, i'll by applying some paint in two different spots. directly after painting it on, i'm shocked: the paint is way too bright! :o :o :o

fortunately i soon realize that the paint dries out much darker and after a couple of hours the final results are in - can you spot it (roughly in the middle of the following two pictures, NOT the darker spot in the lower / right edge)? it's not 100 % perfect, it's a little bit too dark, but so much better than what i had before. PLUS i've realized that there are different shades of blue on the cabinet, the upper back part is somewhat darker that the lower part, probably because of different exposures to light. i knew beforehand that touchups will never be a perfect solution, but the cab and the sideart are in such a nice condition that restencilling it would be simply stupid!

however, i still want it to be a little bit better and because i have so much paint, i can try some variations and i manage to come up with an almost perfect match by adding some drops of white. with that mixture in an extra can, i can finally start repainting the cabinet!

i use a small brush for the tiny imperfections ...

... and a foam roller for larger areas. once again, the paint starts out too bright, but eventually settles to a nice shade of blue!

of course the touchups are visible under certain viewing angles and light conditions, but as i've stated before, i will most likely be applying a protective clear coat which will hopefully even out the differences a little bit more. nevertheless, this result was totally worthwhile all the efforts! thanks again to bruno for the paint, couldn't have done it without your help :-*

two colors left: yellow and dark blue. i'll be doing some window shopping this week trying to find a matching dark blue - which is going to be close to impossible, so i've already prepared myself for another paint mixing session! as for the yellow, i'm taking a different route here, because there aren't many areas in need of touch ups - and those areas are small! so i've ordered something from the uk: a grey plastic bag! :D

inside, a set of the famous american sharpie pens. i've read on several occasions that these are the pens you should get when it comes to touching up artwork (e.g. the red crystals on crystal castles)!

the "blues" don't match at all, but the yellow looks very promising

great, the yellow covers up those black stripes nicely! (but i've just realized that there's another light blue area which i missed)

here's another example: BEFORE :arrow:

AFTER :arrow:

here's where i stand: i've done light blue and yellow on the left side and only yellow on the right side. up next is the missing light blue on the right and then hopefully the final color: dark blue. once this is done, i'll roll on one coat of clear and put the cab back together. all the parts are finished, the game is working - BRING IT ON!!!

:spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:

to be continued ...