Dragon's Lair Fans - Arcade Lifestyle
January 25, 2021, 02:34:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ALS'/DLF' : your daily dose of Arcade Life Style...inside the Dragon's Lair!

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10
  Print  
Author Topic: [Restoration] Moon Patrol - Return to the Lunar Surface  (Read 65657 times)
Superully
ArcadeLifeStyler'

Southern Part of Germany

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2011, 08:48:35 PM »

They are now using a new machine-scanner / paint provider (LEVIS). Hope this will as accurate as the previous one...

looks (and works) like the one i've set my eyes on arrow

I'll send you the paint asap, and let you know the total with shipping cost via PM  Wink

YEZZZ!!! thx so much for doing this, bruno! can't wait to try out the paint. Let's see how good that scanner is ...

all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!
Belike
ArcadeLifeStyler'

Budapest, Hungary

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2011, 09:57:40 PM »

And you have a nice Nintendo Climber handheld Bruno! Grin
DarthNuno
Administrator
ArcadeLifeStyler'

Singe's castle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2011, 10:53:11 PM »

And you have a nice Nintendo Climber handheld Bruno! Grin

Well spotted... I'm testing it right now! Great one... I didn't know it  Tongue

* sun_climber.jpg (155.03 KB, 640x480 - viewed 523 times.)

DarthNuno
Administrator
ArcadeLifeStyler'

Singe's castle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2011, 02:56:23 PM »

... and paint can sent this after noon by mail.... fingers crossed for the best color match  Tongue

Superully
ArcadeLifeStyler'

Southern Part of Germany

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2011, 04:48:05 PM »

you're the man! can't wait to give it a try - let's see what this new scanner is capable of ...

all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!
Ronald Reagan
ArcadeLifeStyler'

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2011, 04:59:23 PM »

that's an awesome little machine, that paint recognizer  shock

An Error Has Occurred!
The last posting from your IP was less than 40 seconds ago. Please try again later.
Level42
ArcadeLifeStyler'

Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2011, 07:04:08 PM »

What do they cost ?

Superully
ArcadeLifeStyler'

Southern Part of Germany

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2011, 07:17:55 PM »

What do they cost ?

around 400 euros! i could get a new one for 370 euros. i've offered the seller 200 bucks, but he didn't take my offer. i wonder why ... Wink

Superully
ArcadeLifeStyler'

Southern Part of Germany

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2011, 11:08:34 AM »

i want to have the game up and running for my birthday in 2 1/2 weeks, so i need to hurry a little bit. i'll be posting an update on the color issue in a short while, but for now my main goal is to get the game up and running. remember, after we had brought it upstairs, it kept resetting and eventually the +5V led on the power supply board went out, so there was cleary an issue with the voltages. i checked the connectors on the power supply and found that one of them was broken and even burnt. i've learned since then that this is a common issue an williams power supply boards and that this connector (amongst other stuff) needs to be replaced!

i got some friendly help from a KLOV guy ("dokert" Kiss) who's going to assist me in the repairs, but in the meantime i wanted to make sure the game is working apart from the power supply issue, so i pulled out a switcher and one of those bob roberts williams switching power supply kits and set up a temporary testing station arrow

all the voltages checked out fine, so i anxiously turned on the game - here's what i got on the screen Sad

as if the game wanted to play a round of hangman with me Wink!

anyway, it looked like some sort of vertical collapse to me, so i contacted dokert again and he told me to pull the chassis and check two white ceramic resistors. you can see them on the following picture in the top right corner arrow

here's a closeup. they looked fine to me, but dokert also suggested reflowing the solder joints, ...

... so i turned the chassis around and immediately realized that one of the joints had cracked Evil! i removed the old solder and re-attached the capacitors with new one

after that, i put the chassis back in, discharged the monitor again (which was a good thing to do, because i still got sparks and some crackle), re-connected all the wires and turned the game on. to be honest, i wasn't expecting it to work, but see for yourself arrow

another "YES, BABY!!!" Space Ace Space Ace Space Ace

picture is crisp, need to work on the orientation though a little bit, but it's as good as it can get! so i plugged in the control panel and tested if everything was working (left, right, jump, fire) - BINGO!!!

now "all i need to do" is finish the paint job and be done with it! i'll be rebuilding the original power supply nevertheless (at least i'll be trying to), but for now i know that i can play the game once the cosmetic part is done! YES, BABY

Etienne MacGyver
ArcadeLifeStyler'

The Netherlands

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2011, 11:30:31 AM »

Great to see that its working Ully !

Sometimes it can be so simple... (and sometimes not.....)  Twisted
Belike
ArcadeLifeStyler'

Budapest, Hungary

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2011, 11:34:44 AM »

Great job, you shouldn't call yourself an electric noob from now. Grin
Level42
ArcadeLifeStyler'

Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2011, 12:53:40 PM »

Nice one !

Superully
ArcadeLifeStyler'

Southern Part of Germany

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 02, 2011, 06:56:48 PM »

the restoration continues ...

i'm a guy who likes trying out new stuff in real life (i'd call myself adventurous), so i thought why not give something a try which i had read about on the KLOV forum. it's called bluing, a process in which steel is partially protected against rust. i wanted to try this out because spraying the screws black makes them look nice, but is not very durable. so after a lot of searching around, i found the required stuff in a german weapon's shop (shock Cool)!

be careful, this stuff can be dangerous to your health!

i also got myself a bluing pen to touch up smaller areas

basically what you do is dip the screw (or the desired part) into the liquid ...

... and watch it turn black - or not! looks more brown to me than black Sad

i read that adding a little wd-40 should improve the results

but i still don't like what i saw!!! Cry

don't know if i did anything wrong or if the results can be imrpoved, but for now i'd call this an epic fail! i wished it would have turned out as black as the following guy Cool arrow

ok, back to the "spraying board". moon patrol uses tons of bolts to keep various parts in place, so here we go Shocked

i'd like to use the opportunity to introduce you to my cozy "spraying booth" - here's the staircase leading upstairs!

here's what it looks like at the top of the stairs

when you turn your head to the left, here's what you see - doesn't it look somewhat scary? i'm always a little bit scared when i go up there in the evening Ghost

in the middle of the attic (where i still cannot stand up entirely) i've set up a small workspace

up here, i don't have to worry about overspray or unhealthy vapors. however, since the roof is NOT insulated AT ALL there are minus degrees up there in winter and sauna temperatures in summer - reminds me of my apartment below! Wink Embarrassed

just a small selection of freshly-sprayed bolts!

to be continued ...

Muerto
ArcadeLifeStyler'

Denmark

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2011, 07:20:22 PM »

Holy moly! - they sure know what they are talkong about on Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

And looking very good Ully! WOW!

Etienne MacGyver
ArcadeLifeStyler'

The Netherlands

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2011, 07:26:00 PM »

in the middle of the attic (where i still cannot stand up entirely) i've set up a small workspace

Nice C64 you have there  Wink

I know how it feels in you attic, mine is the same, i cannot stand straight, but im thinking of making a worktable there with a chair, then i dont hit my head  Grin
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10
  Print  

Jump to: