Author Topic: [Restoration] Moon Patrol - Return to the Lunar Surface  (Read 99396 times)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
Re: [Restoration] Moon Patrol - Return to the Lunar Surface
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2011, 08:48:35 PM »

They are now using a new machine-scanner / paint provider (LEVIS). Hope this will as accurate as the previous one...

looks (and works) like the one i've set my eyes on :arrow:

I'll send you the paint asap, and let you know the total with shipping cost via PM  ;)

YEZZZ!!! thx so much for doing this, bruno! can't wait to try out the paint. Let's see how good that scanner is ...
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2011, 09:57:40 PM »
And you have a nice Nintendo Climber handheld Bruno! ;D

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2011, 10:53:11 PM »
And you have a nice Nintendo Climber handheld Bruno! ;D

Well spotted... I'm testing it right now! Great one... I didn't know it  :P

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2011, 02:56:23 PM »
... and paint can sent this after noon by mail.... fingers crossed for the best color match  :P

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2011, 04:48:05 PM »
you're the man! can't wait to give it a try - let's see what this new scanner is capable of ...
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Ronald Reagan

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2011, 04:59:23 PM »
that's an awesome little machine, that paint recognizer  :shock:
An Error Has Occurred!
The last posting from your IP was less than 40 seconds ago. Please try again later.

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2011, 07:04:08 PM »
What do they cost ?

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2011, 07:17:55 PM »
What do they cost ?

around 400 euros! i could get a new one for 370 euros. i've offered the seller 200 bucks, but he didn't take my offer. i wonder why ... ;)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2011, 11:08:34 AM »

i want to have the game up and running for my birthday in 2 1/2 weeks, so i need to hurry a little bit. i'll be posting an update on the color issue in a short while, but for now my main goal is to get the game up and running. remember, after we had brought it upstairs, it kept resetting and eventually the +5V led on the power supply board went out, so there was cleary an issue with the voltages. i checked the connectors on the power supply and found that one of them was broken and even burnt. i've learned since then that this is a common issue an williams power supply boards and that this connector (amongst other stuff) needs to be replaced!

i got some friendly help from a KLOV guy ("dokert" :-*) who's going to assist me in the repairs, but in the meantime i wanted to make sure the game is working apart from the power supply issue, so i pulled out a switcher and one of those bob roberts williams switching power supply kits and set up a temporary testing station :arrow:

all the voltages checked out fine, so i anxiously turned on the game - here's what i got on the screen :(

as if the game wanted to play a round of hangman with me ;)!

anyway, it looked like some sort of vertical collapse to me, so i contacted dokert again and he told me to pull the chassis and check two white ceramic resistors. you can see them on the following picture in the top right corner :arrow:

here's a closeup. they looked fine to me, but dokert also suggested reflowing the solder joints, ...

... so i turned the chassis around and immediately realized that one of the joints had cracked :evil:! i removed the old solder and re-attached the capacitors with new one

after that, i put the chassis back in, discharged the monitor again (which was a good thing to do, because i still got sparks and some crackle), re-connected all the wires and turned the game on. to be honest, i wasn't expecting it to work, but see for yourself :arrow:

another "YES, BABY!!!" :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:

picture is crisp, need to work on the orientation though a little bit, but it's as good as it can get! so i plugged in the control panel and tested if everything was working (left, right, jump, fire) - BINGO!!!

now "all i need to do" is finish the paint job and be done with it! i'll be rebuilding the original power supply nevertheless (at least i'll be trying to), but for now i know that i can play the game once the cosmetic part is done! YES, BABY

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2011, 11:30:31 AM »
Great to see that its working Ully !

Sometimes it can be so simple... (and sometimes not.....)  :twisted:

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2011, 11:34:44 AM »
Great job, you shouldn't call yourself an electric noob from now. ;D

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2011, 12:53:40 PM »
Nice one !

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 02, 2011, 06:56:48 PM »

the restoration continues ...

i'm a guy who likes trying out new stuff in real life (i'd call myself adventurous), so i thought why not give something a try which i had read about on the KLOV forum. it's called bluing, a process in which steel is partially protected against rust. i wanted to try this out because spraying the screws black makes them look nice, but is not very durable. so after a lot of searching around, i found the required stuff in a german weapon's shop (:shock: 8))!

be careful, this stuff can be dangerous to your health!

i also got myself a bluing pen to touch up smaller areas

basically what you do is dip the screw (or the desired part) into the liquid ...

... and watch it turn black - or not! looks more brown to me than black :(

i read that adding a little wd-40 should improve the results

but i still don't like what i saw!!! :'(

don't know if i did anything wrong or if the results can be imrpoved, but for now i'd call this an epic fail! i wished it would have turned out as black as the following guy 8) :arrow:

ok, back to the "spraying board". moon patrol uses tons of bolts to keep various parts in place, so here we go :o

i'd like to use the opportunity to introduce you to my cozy "spraying booth" - here's the staircase leading upstairs!

here's what it looks like at the top of the stairs

when you turn your head to the left, here's what you see - doesn't it look somewhat scary? i'm always a little bit scared when i go up there in the evening :ghost:

in the middle of the attic (where i still cannot stand up entirely) i've set up a small workspace

up here, i don't have to worry about overspray or unhealthy vapors. however, since the roof is NOT insulated AT ALL there are minus degrees up there in winter and sauna temperatures in summer - reminds me of my apartment below! ;) :-[

just a small selection of freshly-sprayed bolts!

to be continued ...

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2011, 07:20:22 PM »

Holy moly! - they sure know what they are talkong about on :!: :!: :!:

And looking very good Ully! WOW!

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2011, 07:26:00 PM »

in the middle of the attic (where i still cannot stand up entirely) i've set up a small workspace

Nice C64 you have there  ;)

I know how it feels in you attic, mine is the same, i cannot stand straight, but im thinking of making a worktable there with a chair, then i dont hit my head  ;D