Dragon's Lair Fans - Arcade Lifestyle
September 22, 2018, 03:31:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ALS'/DLF' : your daily dose of Arcade Life Style...inside the Dragon's Lair!

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: :: Rolling Thunder Roadtrip ::  (Read 15731 times)
Dazza

View Profile
« on: January 18, 2009, 01:19:11 PM »

So I've set the Rolling Thunder world record on Mame. It's time to get serious and take the arcade record  Twisted So first step, I need to get access to a machine.... Someone on Jamma+ points out there is one on EBay!  arrow

I think it's slightly overpriced and put an offer in, it's ACCEPTED Grin No messing around, I want this before Christmas, so I arrange to pick it up the next day! It's in Southampton so a couple of hours drive, lets plan the route.  arrow

Unfortunately it won't fit in my car so I need access to a van. My brother in law has one, so I call him up and he says he can lend me the van and will come along to help too   It's a small van so we measure it to see if it will fit  arrow

Hmmm, won't quite fit. We are going to take a chance and bungy close the doors. The van is full of work equipment so needs emptying  arrow

After clearing, damn generators are heavy, we have some room  arrow

The helpers, Luke and Steve  arrow

We need to fill up with petrol arrow

Some snacks for the journey, Pringles (the best crisps ever) Kiss  arrow

And of course, our favorite drink, DR Pepper!  arrow

We have some pasties and other drinks but they are tucked away in the back of the van. So we set off and half way round the M25, can you believe it, it's clear!  arrow

The van is VERY slow, top speed 70mph DOWN HILL!!! We get there just before dark and meet Jon the seller. We unload "The Machine", doesn't she look a beauty  arrow

The original side art is in fantastic condition  arrow

Money is exchanged and Jon has one last touch. This is now MINE!!!  Evil arrow

Ok, now lets try and fit it in the van.... Hmmm... as expected it sticks out the back  Embarrassed Shocked Still we cover it up to protect that artwork  arrow

"Secure" the door with a single bungy rope! I'm not so sure but Steve says it's gonna be ok shock Well we are stuck here with a machine and it's getting dark so we have to chance it  arrow

Phew, we made it all the way back home. The machine is still in place, let's uncover it and move it inside. No pictures of the process....'cause we are both handling it  Cheesy lol  arrow

Finally, in the house  arrow

Unfortunately the game PCB is faulty so no new world records for a while yet! I'm going to try and fix it myself so it could take a while  Shocked

I'll get some closer pictures of the machine inside and out when I get a chance Smiley

[EDITED: Now using Goggle photos rather than PhotoBucket ransomware]
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 05:28:59 PM by Dazza » Logged
DarthNuno
Administrator
ArcadeLifeStyler'

Singe's castle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 08:10:25 PM »

Thanks for posting the Road Trip Dazza  Kiss

Headline of course  Wink  arrow

Congratulation, now you have your 'Holy Grail'  Wink

Regarding your faulty board,Funkycochise here -as a die hard fan of Rolling Thunder- would maybe have few boards as spare ? Drop him a message, who knows  roll eyes Wink

Regarding the control panel overlay, the one on your game, the lower part is all black  Huh? ...

...comparing to mine  arrow

Anyway, good luck for the restoration Dazza   Smiley

Space Ace Space Ace Space Ace

Dexter

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 09:42:20 PM »

Awesome stuff  Grin

Dazza

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 11:07:01 PM »

Thanks for posting the Road Trip Dazza  Kiss

Headline of course  Wink  arrow

Awesome, I've always wanted a dragonslairfans headline  Grin

Regarding the control panel overlay, the one on your game, the lower part is all black  Huh? ...

Yes, I knew about that. As part of the sprucing up the previous owner did he got a reproduction marquee (yep we know ALL about that one) AND CPO. Unfortunately the only reproduction items are based on the american one  arrow

As you can see there isn't any of the nice art on the lower part of the CPO  Cry But then again the machine looked like this befopre he replaced it  arrow

I'll just have to keep my eye out for a NOS one (not likely) or do myself a vector of the CPO too and a get a proper reproduction done!!!!  shock shock

I'll definitely message FuckyCochise. Bruno didn't you have a faulty board? Are you keeping it as a spare or would it be up for sale? Any spare parts are useful, the board has lots of custom chips!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 05:29:35 PM by Dazza » Logged
Dexter

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 12:34:02 AM »

I've got 4 spare Rolling Thunder boards. I can check them all again and I'd be happy to pass one on to you if you want ?

Steve
Dazza

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 12:40:37 AM »

I would be absolutely ECSTATIC!!!! PM me some details and see if we can sort something out....
Dexter

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 01:56:36 AM »

I would be absolutely ECSTATIC!!!! PM me some details and see if we can sort something out....

PM sent  Cool
DarthNuno
Administrator
ArcadeLifeStyler'

Singe's castle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2009, 09:27:50 AM »

A working board for sale, right here  Wink

funkycochise

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2009, 01:39:11 PM »

Let me introduce into the topic.
In fact, I already own a rthunder pcb that was working.
What happened ? I'm guilty, I decided to wash the pcb and when I had to place the chips back on location, I went wrong
with one of them.
After switching on, a small smoke started to come from one chip with the matching smell  Undecided

Here is the chip :

It was covered with a sticker.
it rt1-5.6u in mame rthunder.zip rom set

I have same behaviour as on the pcb with mame if I corrupt the file in the archive (0x00 filled)

So if a good soul out there have a broken pcb or is able to create one of these chip would be great !

Dazza

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2009, 10:58:51 AM »

That chip is an 82S123 32 x 8 bipolar PROM. As can be seen from this cross reference website:

http://www.mikesarcade.com/cgi-bin/spies.cgi?action=url&type=info&page=PromRef.txt

I'm not the best person to say where to get a replacment from but a quick search reveals this place sells them (or compatible replacements). They will also program them for you at a fee (I think it's $10):

http://www.hobbyroms.com/proms.html

I have a programmer, but unfortunately it does not support this chip type. Remember these are a program once only chip, so make sure you definitely have the right ROM when burning it. I posted a thread in Jamma+ and there were a few people on there with programmers that were capable of burning the chip and more than willing to do a burn if supplied with the blank chip.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 11:29:37 AM by Dazza » Logged
funkycochise

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2009, 08:08:58 PM »

Thanks dazza for your precious informations...
overall for the cross refs Sheet.

I'll inform you for my evolutions on the subject...

Regards.
funkycochise

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2009, 10:28:08 AM »

stuffs ordered...

stay tuned
Dazza

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2009, 11:04:56 AM »

Excellent, did you get them to program it for you?
polaris

veni vidi congai

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2009, 11:58:45 AM »

I'll definitely message FuckyCochise.

thats a funny typing error Cheesy
 Space Ace

just keeping an eye on things
funkycochise

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2009, 01:15:01 PM »

Excellent, did you get them to program it for you?
a friend will do it for me  Wink
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: