Author Topic: :: Rolling Thunder Roadtrip ::  (Read 28043 times)

Dazza

• View Profile
:: Rolling Thunder Roadtrip ::
« on: January 18, 2009, 01:19:11 PM »
So I've set the Rolling Thunder world record on Mame. It's time to get serious and take the arcade record  :twisted: So first step, I need to get access to a machine.... Someone on Jamma+ points out there is one on EBay!  :arrow:

I think it's slightly overpriced and put an offer in, it's ACCEPTED ;D No messing around, I want this before Christmas, so I arrange to pick it up the next day! It's in Southampton so a couple of hours drive, lets plan the route.  :arrow:

Unfortunately it won't fit in my car so I need access to a van. My brother in law has one, so I call him up and he says he can lend me the van and will come along to help too  :wink: It's a small van so we measure it to see if it will fit  :arrow:

Hmmm, won't quite fit. We are going to take a chance and bungy close the doors. The van is full of work equipment so needs emptying  :arrow:

After clearing, damn generators are heavy, we have some room  :arrow:

The helpers, Luke and Steve  :arrow:

We need to fill up with petrol :arrow:

Some snacks for the journey, Pringles (the best crisps ever) :-*  :arrow:

And of course, our favorite drink, DR Pepper!  :arrow:

We have some pasties and other drinks but they are tucked away in the back of the van. So we set off and half way round the M25, can you believe it, it's clear!  :arrow:

The van is VERY slow, top speed 70mph DOWN HILL!!! We get there just before dark and meet Jon the seller. We unload "The Machine", doesn't she look a beauty  :arrow:

The original side art is in fantastic condition  :arrow:

Money is exchanged and Jon has one last touch. This is now MINE!!!  :evil: :arrow:

Ok, now lets try and fit it in the van.... Hmmm... as expected it sticks out the back  :-[ :o Still we cover it up to protect that artwork  :arrow:

"Secure" the door with a single bungy rope! I'm not so sure but Steve says it's gonna be ok :shock: Well we are stuck here with a machine and it's getting dark so we have to chance it  :arrow:

Phew, we made it all the way back home. The machine is still in place, let's uncover it and move it inside. No pictures of the process....'cause we are both handling it  :D :lol:  :arrow:

Finally, in the house  :arrow:

Unfortunately the game PCB is faulty so no new world records for a while yet! I'm going to try and fix it myself so it could take a while  :o

I'll get some closer pictures of the machine inside and out when I get a chance :)

[EDITED: Now using Goggle photos rather than PhotoBucket ransomware]
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 05:28:59 PM by Dazza »

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
Re: :: Rolling Thunder Roadtrip ::
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 08:10:25 PM »
Thanks for posting the Road Trip Dazza  :-*

Headline of course  ;)  :arrow:

Congratulation, now you have your 'Holy Grail'  ;)

Regarding your faulty board,Funkycochise here -as a die hard fan of Rolling Thunder- would maybe have few boards as spare ? Drop him a message, who knows  :roll: ;)

Regarding the control panel overlay, the one on your game, the lower part is all black  ??? ...

...comparing to mine  :arrow:

Anyway, good luck for the restoration Dazza   :)

:spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:

Dexter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 09:42:20 PM »
Awesome stuff  ;D

Dazza

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 11:07:01 PM »
Thanks for posting the Road Trip Dazza  :-*

Headline of course  ;)  :arrow:

Awesome, I've always wanted a dragonslairfans headline  ;D

Regarding the control panel overlay, the one on your game, the lower part is all black  ??? ...

Yes, I knew about that. As part of the sprucing up the previous owner did he got a reproduction marquee (yep we know ALL about that one) AND CPO. Unfortunately the only reproduction items are based on the american one  :arrow:

As you can see there isn't any of the nice art on the lower part of the CPO  :'( But then again the machine looked like this befopre he replaced it  :arrow:

I'll just have to keep my eye out for a NOS one (not likely) or do myself a vector of the CPO too and a get a proper reproduction done!!!!  :shock: :shock:

I'll definitely message FuckyCochise. Bruno didn't you have a faulty board? Are you keeping it as a spare or would it be up for sale? Any spare parts are useful, the board has lots of custom chips!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 05:29:35 PM by Dazza »

Dexter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 12:34:02 AM »
I've got 4 spare Rolling Thunder boards. I can check them all again and I'd be happy to pass one on to you if you want ?

Steve

Dazza

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 12:40:37 AM »
I would be absolutely ECSTATIC!!!! PM me some details and see if we can sort something out....

Dexter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 01:56:36 AM »
I would be absolutely ECSTATIC!!!! PM me some details and see if we can sort something out....

PM sent  8)

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2009, 09:27:50 AM »
A working board for sale, right here  ;)

funkycochise

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2009, 01:39:11 PM »
Let me introduce into the topic.
In fact, I already own a rthunder pcb that was working.
What happened ? I'm guilty, I decided to wash the pcb and when I had to place the chips back on location, I went wrong
with one of them.
After switching on, a small smoke started to come from one chip with the matching smell  :-\

Here is the chip :

It was covered with a sticker.
it rt1-5.6u in mame rthunder.zip rom set

I have same behaviour as on the pcb with mame if I corrupt the file in the archive (0x00 filled)

So if a good soul out there have a broken pcb or is able to create one of these chip would be great !

Dazza

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2009, 10:58:51 AM »
That chip is an 82S123 32 x 8 bipolar PROM. As can be seen from this cross reference website:

http://www.mikesarcade.com/cgi-bin/spies.cgi?action=url&type=info&page=PromRef.txt

I'm not the best person to say where to get a replacment from but a quick search reveals this place sells them (or compatible replacements). They will also program them for you at a fee (I think it's $10):

http://www.hobbyroms.com/proms.html

I have a programmer, but unfortunately it does not support this chip type. Remember these are a program once only chip, so make sure you definitely have the right ROM when burning it. I posted a thread in Jamma+ and there were a few people on there with programmers that were capable of burning the chip and more than willing to do a burn if supplied with the blank chip.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 11:29:37 AM by Dazza »

funkycochise

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2009, 08:08:58 PM »
Thanks dazza for your precious informations...
overall for the cross refs Sheet.

I'll inform you for my evolutions on the subject...

Regards.

funkycochise

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2009, 10:28:08 AM »

stuffs ordered...

stay tuned

Dazza

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2009, 11:04:56 AM »
Excellent, did you get them to program it for you?

polaris

• veni vidi congai
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2009, 11:58:45 AM »

I'll definitely message FuckyCochise.

thats a funny typing error :D
 :spaceace:
just keeping an eye on things

funkycochise

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2009, 01:15:01 PM »
Excellent, did you get them to program it for you?
a friend will do it for me  ;)