Author Topic: # UK ROAD TRIP 19# >>> ATARI FIREFOX COCKPIT!!!  (Read 70044 times)

Luigi

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
Re: # UK ROAD TRIP 19# >>> ATARI FIREFOX COCKPIT!!!
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2015, 09:55:34 AM »
The cabinet itself is a one of its kind masterpiece in carpenting art.

I was missing the first n in carpenting when I read the first time and I thought WTF  ;)

uncletom

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2015, 10:47:17 AM »
Hahaha.. I see! Yes, well perhaps I should say woodworking. Though I think it's carpenting (carpenter) in english.

Actually have a look at the cabinets from Atari, from the early 80s to even the mid 90s. You will never see anything anywhere remotely close to the designs.

Examples from Firefox and StarWars sit-in cabinets to uprights and semi uprights such as STUN Runner, XY Bots, Vindicators, Crystal Castles, Too Bin, I-Robot .. this one seems to have been used generically through time with Return of the Jedi, Firefox (UR) and maybe more. What Atari did wasn't only building cabinets for the purpose of a particular game, but beautifully integrating the theme of that game more or less into the cabinet design. And I don't mean decals and marquees. Most obvious would be Vindicators where the cabinet infact does look like some sort of upright standing tank!

My fav cabinets aren't the extravagant ones, I'm more for the practical implementations such as Gauntlet, mainly designed to welcome four players *around* the cabinet!? Incidently also which you can convert to play basically any game on, and what instantly pops into my mind is Golden Tee Live.

Point is, where other manufacturers, even the skilled japanese, were building arcade game cabinets for practical use, Atari was using its imagination bringing that extra dimension into the concept.

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2015, 11:45:36 AM »
You just described why I love Atari (cabs) so much :)

uncletom

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2015, 12:31:10 PM »
Me too man, me too.

Luigi

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2015, 12:44:21 PM »
Battlezone  :-* :-*

uncletom

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2015, 01:05:08 PM »
Yeah... and not the cabaret one, I presume.

How about 720* (with the ghettoblaster at the top)

http://flyers.arcade-museum.com/?page=flyer&db=videodb&id=4617&image=1