Ok, first problem to solve... the monitor is not working.
Fortunately I've found in my area a good 25" TV monitor for sale! Before installing it, let's check if it can handle the RGB signal coming from the VGA -> CGA (over scart) converter.... yes!
The geometry/size of the picture won't be a problem, because the CGA converter I'm using here includes potentiometers to set all that stuff
Oh, and the monitor bezel did't fit the defect monitor. I suspect It was not the original firefox bezel and/or it has been rebuilt but not right... anyway
Let's see that bezel adjustment later... and let's remove the defective monitor now :
Yeah... it's like disassembling a plane!
Oh, the defective monitor isn't the original one I would say... that also may explain why the monitor bezel doesn't fit?!
Yeah, all that shit just to have access to the monitor! Now replaced by my TV monitor
I'm very happy of this TV monitor... easy to disassemble, easy access to everything... great picture quality... here's the ref for archive purpose :
Let's plug the game. Nice picture, but have to fix the bezel in order to match the TV. There is a tube fluorescent to light the control panel. Once the bezel fixed, there won't be light seeing on the bottom of the screen...
Well, I'm already very happy! Because yeah, I can play the game... for the very first time... on this killing cockpit
I really appreciate the game. It's a rail shooter like Starblade or Galaxian3... you don't control the moves of the plane, only the gun. For sure, it's not what we can name a 'classic', because I love the movie, I really love the ambiance, the sounds, the voices... and what's on screen of course!
The 'sprites' are of course a 'little bit basics' comparing to the real movie running on the background, but who cares... so 80's! I love the trip, the 'experience'!
And this is typically the kind of game that can be appreciated ONLY inside a cockpit, with the right controls, for a total immersion!
And what about this marquee! Damn, it looks soooo cool!
OK, calm down Nuno... even if it's playable, it's not done!
TO DO LIST :
- fix the monitor bezel, possibly use an other one!
- fix the X potentiometer on the yoke... there are some 'garbage moves' in the middle range of it (new 5K potentiometers ordered)
- fix one button from the yoke which is not working (new switch ordered)
- use buttons to credit the game, escape from the game (this will allow to save high score) but also adding one to power off/on the computer inside... all these buttons in an accessible area of coruse(behind coins door)
- adjust the monitor size (need someone else for this operation or ... a mirror
- possibly upgrade the computer for a faster loading of the game
...and find a right location inside the Nuno's Lair!