Author Topic: THE ROADTRIP OF THE CENTURY REVEALED - LOOK FORWARD FOR HUNDRETS OF PICS  (Read 216142 times)

Alpha1

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
Re: THE ROADTRIP OF THE CENTURY REVEALED - LOOK FORWARD FOR HUNDRETS OF PICS
« Reply #240 on: September 03, 2014, 01:45:42 AM »
PCBs!!  :spaceace:

kos71

• View Profile
« Reply #241 on: September 03, 2014, 02:30:17 AM »
some of the cab i found where modified but sometime we have found the original pcb in a parcel at the spare part area of the warehouse.

keep faith

synonym9

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: September 03, 2014, 03:06:15 AM »
some of the cab i found where modified but sometime we have found the original pcb in a parcel at the spare part area of the warehouse.

keep faith

Thats what I think too.... :)
I have a dream....that one day....all members of forum are the same....no matter how long ago they have joined, how many games they own or how many posts they wrote ;)

PunkRockCaveman

• View Profile
« Reply #243 on: September 03, 2014, 09:04:13 AM »
I never ment to make a bad mood. I just tend to be realistic and I just speak on ten years of arcade collecting and more than 40 machines in stock in different states of restauration. It's hell. Really. Any hacked cab, project cab or otherwise badly non working cab that needs serious restauration is a very expensive and time consuming bastard. That's a fact. Havings dozends of them (and you must admit, none of the cabs pictured is likely anywhere near a "quite ok" state) would kill me. :D

None the less it's kinda fun to restaurate a cab of course and the moments the little rascals are running for the first time again after their long sleep in the dark are priceless. So I keep my fingers crossed that you will manage this rescue mission. But keep in mind to quit the job soon and work in parallel on that flux capacitor to travel back in time and warn your younger ego to maybe not buy all the machines when it comes to an end and too many cabs keep unrestaurated in your storage in the far future. ;)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #244 on: September 03, 2014, 01:03:21 PM »
I understand what PRC says, it's the story of my life :)

My progress on restorations is..........close to none existant ;) And I have only a handful of them to do.....

But others are surely faster.

About finding PCBs: Remember Berzerk has 7 of them :)

synonym9

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: September 03, 2014, 02:42:16 PM »
..........and you must admit, none of the cabs pictured is likely anywhere near a "quite ok" state..... :D

At that point I do not admit at all....

The Portraits does look, the dirt and some splashers of wall point - which removes easily - aside, absolutely great.
And so are the

Asteroids Delxue
Tac/Scan
Afterburner
Indiana Jones
Hang-On Cabaret
SEGA Rally
Virtua Fighter
Assault
the 2 S.C.I.´s
Some of the Midway Cabs
the 4 Laser Disc-Games
and the 2 Space Invaders-clones

and thats only the ones I recall at the moment.

But I have to say that it is also always a question of what do I expect to find (and my first cab was such a pot of garbage that everything I found after it was a beauty) and what do I understand by restoration.
I saw guys with ripped Artwork who just took some Eddings and recreated the missing areas....thats not what I understand by restoration.

I am really a perfectionist as I am a passionated home-worker and I enjoy restoring old things.

I really have to admit, PunkRockCaveman, that restoring a cabinet CAN end up expensive....my Hang-On for example is the most horrible fucked-up arcade machine I ever came accross (it is the certain one I refered to as my first cab) and only a shadow of what it was back in the day.

As for a rule I say, restoration can become expensive as soon as you deal with special controls rather than with usual sticks and buttons.

Since I wanted to have my Hang-On looking brand new (which is exactly the opposite from what it was when I picked it) I took some months to find every single piece I needed as N.O.S.-part or in mint condition....which happened, but I have around 400€ in N.O.S.-Parts so far and still miss the brake-lever and needs to buy a pair of grips.

I dont drink and smoke, so spending some money in parts is ok :)

Also the sideart needs to be printed, so all in all that cab will end up pretty expensive and I am aware that many guys of you would say that Hang-On does not worth that kind of effort, but it does for me.

I started another cab at the same moment and I spent nearly nothing so far.....so every cab is different in restauration but I prepare my self for the SEGA simulator-line up I pick there like the

Enduro Racer (which will be the biggest pain in the ass as it got the most moving non-standard-parts)
The Hang-On ride on bike and the
Afterburner

All in all its also a question in how good you are at work, how much experience you have and how fast you are.
Compared with what I restored or build in my live, a wooden cabinet is just a joke.

If you ever have worked on an american classic car you know what I mean, you cannot even work alone as for nearly every piece you need two or three guys giving there helping hands.

While you can easily remove a door from a VW Golf by yourself you better dont try this on a mid 70´s fullsizer like an Electra or a Caprice/Impala..same for the bonnet, windshield, bumpers and what you have, we have´nt spoken here about things like a TH350 or even 400 transmission yet and for sure not about a V8!

Something like the Berzerk does not keep me from sleeping at night as if the PCB-search turns out as a nightmare I run a PC and its ok for me....and I think every serious arcade machine lover would aggree with M.A.M.E.-ing over dumping, right?

I have a dream....that one day....all members of forum are the same....no matter how long ago they have joined, how many games they own or how many posts they wrote ;)

synonym9

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: September 03, 2014, 02:57:51 PM »
I understand what PRC says, it's the story of my life :)

My progress on restorations is..........close to none existant ;) And I have only a handful of them to do.....

But others are surely faster.

Lev´, I would guess that your progress is stagnating due to the fact that you have many other thing else to do, right?

Its always up to what pressure you have.

A small example, for a short time i worked with a guy who restored flats with water damages and other problems.
When I compare what performance I was forced to bring there in a single day and what the average homeworker does in one day....its not even compareable.

So if you do that as your hobby and you maybe have a family with children and even other hobbies of course the progress of your restorations is slower than it could be....but it is ok for you they way it is, right?

Same here, no real progress in the Hang-On for quite half a year, but if I would like to finish I could have it done within a week after the ordered parts arrived.

The finding of the parts costed me a lot of time and I still have to design something to get rid of that bloody steering-play.
Even if I would replace the part that is the problem it would´nt last long as there is a construction mis-design in the steering-mechanism of the Hang-On/Enduro Racer...but all in all its a great mechanism, very well designed (except that one problem).

For the Hang-On Bike and the Enduro Racer I will order all the parts at once, and I will even add the button for the Afterburner.

About finding PCBs: Remember Berzerk has 7 of them :)

Are there 7 different versions or does the game have 7 seperate PCB´s?

Tyrem

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • SK GameNatiX
« Reply #247 on: September 03, 2014, 03:24:07 PM »

Are there 7 different versions or does the game have 7 seperate PCB´s?

one game has 7 pcbs.
that´s why i wanted an original one with the original stick.
Looking for Dragons Lair 1 or 2, Space Ace, Double Dragon, Robotron and yeah... a Shinobi would be cool, too!

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: September 03, 2014, 03:45:27 PM »
Yes, 7 boards, its madness..

anunaki

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: September 03, 2014, 03:52:55 PM »
holy melony :o :o

that is just one game?

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: September 03, 2014, 03:57:01 PM »
Thats Berzerk  :D

anunaki

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: September 03, 2014, 04:02:22 PM »
it sure is ;D

Luigi

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: September 03, 2014, 04:21:09 PM »
oh dear...I remember the 'puzzle game' when I attached them to the wooden board  ::)

Tyrem

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • SK GameNatiX
« Reply #253 on: September 03, 2014, 04:27:37 PM »
oh dear...I remember the 'puzzle game' when I attached them to the wooden board  ::)

that´s why you want it like this! ;)
Looking for Dragons Lair 1 or 2, Space Ace, Double Dragon, Robotron and yeah... a Shinobi would be cool, too!

Byte Surfer

• View Profile
« Reply #254 on: September 03, 2014, 08:22:35 PM »
Austria is not so far from me :-)

I'm nearest... ready for a new euro-trip?   :o

BS