Author Topic: Outrun deluxe sitdown  (Read 55796 times)

Reboot

• View Profile
Re: Outrun deluxe sitdown
« Reply #90 on: August 26, 2014, 05:58:11 PM »
Have made a movie of it will upload it later.
Swapping the monitor could be a solution to get it working on time for RGE 2014 but i also didn't hear the game music so hopefully the pcb isn't fried also, then a monitor swap won't help either.

The bigger question is how did it got broken? Is my garage too humid or too cold or did it break because i have moved it around.
Haven't played it for a year. (must a cab be on regularly?)

Do I need to put a moisture absorber in the cab by the monitor or is that a bad thing to do?

Is it a bad thing to power the cab on again, now that I now that the monitor is broken (can it do more damage to other parts)?

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #91 on: August 26, 2014, 06:03:29 PM »
My guess is that some Fuse blew because of the monitor problems and that this is the reason you don't have the music anymore.

Check the fuses "around" the power supply.

I would disconnect the monitor from the power connector before powering it up again.

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #92 on: August 26, 2014, 06:08:11 PM »
Just checked the manual, it says there is a breaker that pops out when the machine is overloaded. Maybe this breaker came out ?

You just have to push it back, but first disconnect the monitor :)

Q*ris

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • CAP'TAIIIN ARCADE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 26, 2014, 10:29:42 PM »
Do I need to put a moisture absorber in the cab by the monitor or is that a bad thing to do?
I would say: don't do that if it's the kind of moisture absorber that's filling itself with water and that you have to empty regularly.
Big chances are either you'll forget to empty it or, like me: totally forget that it's inside the cab when you'll move it  :arrow: that's bad, really bad…
That stuff ain't water it's really acid and will damage every metal parts it touches + your hands.

anunaki

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 28, 2014, 04:56:17 PM »
Reboot I may have a monitor for you at eurocade.

Reboot

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 29, 2014, 12:51:30 AM »
sorry for the delay but here are the clips of the monitor problem

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/78649287/outrun_error_2.flv

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/78649287/outrun_error_1.flv

Haven't had the chance to look further into it, but thanks for all the reaction  :)

Reboot I may have a monitor for you at eurocade.

Thanks, hopefully there is nothing else wrong with it so a temporarily monitor swap will make it possible that the 2nd outrun deluxe will be attending RGE/Eurocade 2014 also.

On that note, I don't know how to set the game on freeplay. I presume some dipswitch settings but I don't have the hardware thing that you guys put outside the cab to simulate the coins input. (don't know how it is called, I want one!)

I would say: don't do that if it's the kind of moisture absorber that's filling itself with water and that you have to empty regularly.
Big chances are either you'll forget to empty it or, like me: totally forget that it's inside the cab when you'll move it  :arrow: that's bad, really bad…
That stuff ain't water it's really acid and will damage every metal parts it touches + your hands.

Sounds just like me, I always forget those things, so a no-go for me then.

Mmmm, maybe I can integrate that in my workshop :)

How hard is it to swab the entire monitor on a OR deluxe ? maybe we can temporarily put in another 25" ?

About the shifter on the other OR Deluxe: I think you will need to exchange two wires reboot :)

The sticker is right and so is the position of the stick so it must be two swapped wires for low and High :)

The screws that holds the frame are in a tight spot at the front so you must somehow open the front also to get those screws out I think. (dare not to do it myself at the moment, don't know what can be touched and what not around a monitor)

The shifter cable has indeed been put on wrong when I put it back in place (dumb mistake caused by hurry  :D)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #96 on: August 29, 2014, 01:06:11 AM »
Reboot, as long as you don't put your hand around the anode cap (the rubber cap) on the CRT you will be just fine.

It is very likely the monitor is actually already discharged as it normally does during power down BUT since it "blew" it -might- have not discharged for some reason.

As long as it is relatively easy to open the cover to replace the monitor it should be possible. We need to know what connectors are used though.

Reboot

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 29, 2014, 01:09:55 AM »
Something else. I red somewhere on klov that the 3d printed gears I got from TravisH are NOT to be used with the original springs because those are too strong and will damage the 3d printed gears.

(I think TravisH himself had mention it on his sell page on klov).

Too bad because I had bought an original spring to complete mine and had put them in my now broken 2nd outrun. That steering wheel feels much nicer than my 1st unit where I have put the new springs in which came with the gears. It feels too loose to my taste.

Have others bought those replica gears and springs from TravisH? How do you feel about those springs?
Don't get me wrong, I like TravisH service but only too bad about those weaker springs.

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #98 on: August 29, 2014, 01:10:29 AM »
Just watched the movies....be sure not to touch there ! :)

Nice fireworks going on and I would definitely say that fly-back is toast.

Because of the sparking I'm pretty sure the fly-back is actually not even able to build up the High Voltage.

Anyone know a source for Polo fly-backs in Europe ?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 01:12:36 AM by Level42 »

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #99 on: August 29, 2014, 01:14:15 AM »
So, if you disconnect the power to the monitor, does "the rest" of the machine start up ? That is, does it "play blind" ?

Reboot

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 29, 2014, 01:22:04 AM »
Reboot, as long as you don't put your hand around the anode cap (the rubber cap) on the CRT you will be just fine.

But what about the other side of the cable of the anode cap (where it flashes in the video) Can you touch that side or the cable which end in the anode cap?

Is the flyback unit you mentioned earlier an easy thing to swap?

oh no, now that I think of it, you have to discharge the monitor to get the anode cap of the monitor else you can't swap the flyback unit. stupid me  :oops:

Reboot

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 29, 2014, 01:28:43 AM »

Oeps, you already answered my question. Must you never touch that thing or only now that it caught fire.

Thus both side of the cable where one side is the anode cap and the other side is the flyback unit are a no-touch?

So, if you disconnect the power to the monitor, does "the rest" of the machine start up ? That is, does it "play blind" ?

Will hopefully try to check it tomorrow.

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 29, 2014, 02:14:16 PM »

Nice fireworks going on and I would definitely say that fly-back is toast.

Because of the sparking I'm pretty sure the fly-back is actually not even able to build up the High Voltage.

Anyone know a source for Polo fly-backs in Europe ?

I agree 100%, that flyback is toast!  ;D

it looks like a dead short in there..

anunaki

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 29, 2014, 02:15:32 PM »
What do we need or need to know about the monitor swap? I don't like to bring a monitor in vain;)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #104 on: August 29, 2014, 03:26:43 PM »
Reboot, can you make pictures of the cables and more important the connectors that go to the monitor ?

That way Anunaki can see if his K7000 can connect straight to it (I think this will be essential).
Also, is it "easy" to remove the entire monitor ? That is, can you open the top of the cabinet or so....we have no clue :)