Author Topic: Outrun deluxe sitdown  (Read 55813 times)

Reboot

• View Profile
Outrun deluxe sitdown
« on: April 18, 2013, 05:40:55 PM »

Since i played an outrun standard sitdown at the local carnival in the eighties i wished i could own a outrun cab myself oneday, so when i started this nice hobby i always looked out for one on marktplaats. A few upright cabs came along but i was always outbid. But luckily one ad was placed not on marktplaats but on speurders.nl and by chance i looked there at the right time (normally i don't look there).

The operator of the arcade hall of ponypark Slagharen (a nice themepark in the Netherlands) was selling his last three outrun deluxe sitdown cabs (he had five). Although it's a huge cab i had to have it, so emailed him asking what he wanted for it and after some negotiation it was a deal for all three of them  :)

Because of their size i had to make room in my little garage to fit 2 of them at most, so it took a few weeks to clear the room. Then came the first disappointment. The three cabs where in working order when the seller had put them away he said, but when my brother went looking at his place one of them wasn't moving and had a troubled monitor wich gave a good picture after turning some pods at the monitor.
I wanted them badly so didn't make a great fuss about it only asked nicely if the seller could fix it (maybe just some loose wires or dipswitch setting i hoped), which he didn't want to because he was selling them and didn't want to put time in them anymore (understandable) The price didn't change although one wasn't moving. :(

Also because of their size i asked the seller if he could bring them to me for around 200 euro extra which he first thought was reasenable but would think about it. When he brought them it turned out to be 320 euro  :(
(I knew this before he brought them to me, so i accepted the price which was still good in my opinion)

Now that i had them at home i could check them myself and started the cabs. The first moved at startup which it is suposed to do and the game start up, nice, me happy.  ;D (still it has it's problems, will talk about that later)

The second one didn't and gave a motor error, also the screen wasn't readable (color garbage) for a few moments (when it displays the error message).
But luckily the game started up although the colors were all wrong (a blue ferrari instead of a red one)

The third one which my brother has is working as far as i know now with sometimes a strange sound when moving, just as if it is knocking against something. Have to look into that later.

After further inspection of the cabs the most important problem is the stearing unit. (just like everybody else) In the first cab gear b is missing with a piece of metal where the left spring suposed to grab onto (above gear c) . Also no springs. Instead of gear b it has some sort of red rubber belt

« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 08:36:57 PM by Reboot »

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
Re: Outrun deluxe sitdown
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 06:32:37 PM »
 :)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 09:49:35 PM by ckong »

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 06:34:38 PM »

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 07:17:24 PM »
I saw at least one of these about....mmmmm....7 years ago still in operation at Slagharen. IIRC they weren't in the best of shape IIRC. They sure had their investment returned on them judging how long they have been running !!!!

So, you're going to make them all work or combine them into 1 working ? Definitly a very cool cab to own and the only proper way to play Outrun IMHO....with the speakers in your neck gently playing the music ;)

Reboot

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 09:40:41 PM »
So?

Sorry wasn't ready with my text but had to work. Don't know if you can save the text that you have typed or that it is deleted when logging out so i posted it before i logged off.

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 09:47:34 PM »
So?

Sorry wasn't ready with my text but had to work. Don't know if you can save the text that you have typed or that it is deleted when logging out so i posted it before i logged off.

Big messages, i Always type in notepad first, later i copy and paste it in a thread and use the preview button.
If that looks good, i press "post" or create a new thread and then paste it in there and press "post"  :P

Great cab by the way, my favorite racing game back in the days..

If only i had the space ....
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 09:49:12 PM by Etienne MacGyver »

Reboot

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 09:53:51 PM »
I saw at least one of these about....mmmmm....7 years ago still in operation at Slagharen. IIRC they weren't in the best of shape IIRC. They sure had their investment returned on them judging how long they have been running !!!!

Don't know if the operator has reset the teller but these are the numbers on my cabs

cab 1

cab 2

cab 2

Look at the average playtime, just 1m 24s and the longest only 5m 27s on 7326 games played. Not what you call value for money for the players (1 euro or 1 guilder)  :o

So, you're going to make them all work or combine them into 1 working ? Definitly a very cool cab to own and the only proper way to play Outrun IMHO....with the speakers in your neck gently playing the music ;)

If i can find the missing pieces i hope to get them all to work correctly again
So does anyone have outrun steering wheel unit pieces laying around?
On klov forum someone named Steve23 i think had gears made, but it is already some years ago so where can you buy them now?

I can't post on klov forum so can't ask there (is here someone who is willing to recomend me on klov so i can post there?)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 04:12:38 PM by Reboot »

Reboot

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 10:05:36 PM »

Big messages, i Always type in notepad first, later i copy and paste it in a thread and use the preview button.
If that looks good, i press "post" or create a new thread and then paste it in there and press "post"  :P

Great cab by the way, my favorite racing game back in the days..

If only i had the space ....

So simple yet so useful, hadn't thought of that :)
On long text the scrolling is awfull too to past something in.
Thanks, very useful tip.

My space is limited also (5m x 4m) Had to clear everything else in my garage out except offcourse my other big cabs (rad mobile deluxe sitdown, thunderblade deluxe sitdown and mr and ms pacman pinball. Don't know what to do with the other normal cabs i have, which are now parked in my living room. My wife is not happy (understatement).
Walking space is very limited so no nice gameroom where you can hang but he at least the cabs are in there  ;D
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 10:07:33 PM by Reboot »

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 10:17:57 PM »
So does anyone have outrun steering wheel unit pieces laying around?
On klov forum someone named Steve23 i think had gears made, but it is already some years ago so where can you buy them now?

I can't post on klov forum so can't ask there (is here someone who is willing to recomend me on klov so i can post there?)

Funny, i just posted this link in two other otrun threads today, now this thread is number 3  ;D

http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=272475

ps, what you mean with recomend on klov ? did they change something there ?
i just created an account and started to post there..

oh and if those counters are correct, they made some serious cash  :o
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 10:20:15 PM by Etienne MacGyver »

Reboot

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2013, 02:23:35 AM »
i can read most entries and see the pictures when i log in with my klov account (2ndReboot, because there was a Reboot already) but can't post anything so no asking questions or reply on sales etc. Also when i click your link it says:

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

You are not logged in. Fill in the form at the bottom of this page and try again.
You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

So can't see what's behind your link, strange even when i log in with my account.

To get posting privileges i need to pay or have someone else who has  posting privileges recomend me so the admin knows i'm not a spammer or so.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 08:35:18 PM by Reboot »

Reboot

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2013, 03:12:09 AM »
The second cab has one broken spring on the left and gear b has a crack so need a replacement in the near future. Don't know if it's missing something

On klov Steve23 had links to his flicker page where he had over 320 hi-res pictures of the stering unit, seen those before but now that i need them i can't find them. the links doesn't work anymore or most of the pictures are gone.

Here are random photo i made of my steering units

« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 04:01:15 PM by Reboot »

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2013, 07:46:57 AM »
Maybe just create a new account at klov ?

Anyway here the post from klov:

Quote from: TravisH;2419355
The retired machinist guy from my work has helped me with my gears. He was looking at emachine shop but the cost was going to be to high for most people. He said he could have the gear section machined and attach ABS hubs to bring the cost down. I asked why he couldn't make the whole gear from the ABS filament, how strong is it? He said he could and made a couple sets for me. I installed the gears and purposely did not grease them to see how they would do. I have about 100 plays on a set and they still look exactly like they did.

He said I could ask here to guage interest and he could supply sets (all 4 with springs) here for $55 shipped. If you have a good "A" you could just use his "B". If you have a good "B" you could use his "A". He made the C and D a little thicker and suggests using both his C and D together. If you just need the C and D he could do that to. He is steel band reinforcing the hub area and supplying new springs that are a slightly reduced spring rate. Here are some pictures. What do y'all think?

He asked if there was an interest if I could help him do a YouTube video showing how to take apart and install the gears and I said I would.

EDIT:

Now i see, it says "Member and Dealer - Products, Mods and Services (Restricted) "

dont know how that works at klov ?

« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 07:50:40 AM by Etienne MacGyver »

Reboot

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2013, 05:30:28 PM »
Thanks Etienne, it would be nice to get some of those gears but i can't reply :(
If it's possible can you post the reply's in that topic here too, it's an interesting topic which i can't follow on klov it seems

Aren't here more people in need of these gears, maybe a groupbuy or so to get some to this side of the ocean?
I'm needing 3 sets.

Iron ones would be even beter. Don't know how strong or lasting those replica's are (100 games played with no significant wear is an indication but more (longer) user experience is welcome)
Aren't here dutch or european collectors who have these gear made by a local shop?

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2013, 07:22:22 PM »
well, normally i dont like to do this, but here we go :

Quote from: kspiff;2419377
I'd buy 2 kits.

Quote from: chips4sle;2420237
Ill help support the project too
Ill take a set or two
As well
Jeff

Quote from: micksimmonds;2420431
Id buy a set, and I know a friend needs a set as well

Quote from: TravisH;2420450
Good. He has helped me many times. I went through a dry run on the Youtube video last night. I think it will come out good and help anyone who is installing gears. I can take them apart blindfolded now (well just about).

Quote from: joeycuda;2420544
How does this material compare to the OEM?  How is he machining these?  It looks kinda rough in the pics, reminds me of 3D printer work.

thats it for now.

I would try to create a new account at klov if i where you..

Reboot

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2013, 08:39:25 PM »
Again thanks Etienne, but because of this rule:

EXTRA SIGNUP STEP FOR ARCADE-MUSEUM FORUM USERS:
In order to protect our forum communities, users interested in posting on our message forums have to go through a further
approval step after verifying your email address. After logging onto the forum system at least once, you will either need the
recommendation of an existing forum member, or you will have to verify your identify via PayPal by donating $2 or more
to the International Arcade Museum Library, Inc. After you validate this signup by following the instructions received by email,
log onto the forums with your new account and then follow the instructions in the New User section (get an existing member
to recommend you, or donate via PayPal.

I don't think it help much as you can read, i need an existing member to recommend me or donate via paypal (which i don't have and i'm not willing to create a paypal account at the moment)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 08:44:08 PM by Reboot »