Author Topic: Logi Tec Space Invader (salvation)  (Read 42190 times)

Laszo

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Building
    • View Profile
Logi Tec Space Invader (salvation)
« on: April 22, 2012, 01:53:48 PM »
Hi,

Couple of months ago I saw an arcade for sale on "marktplaats". It was located in a greenhouse near my office in The Hague. So I started a 6 mile road trip. The owner was very friendly, he told me that he owned the game for 15 years, it was in the greenhouse catine and they played it until it stopped. I checked out the cab. It was dirty, the artwork was damaged, the sides are plain formica with a green marble print so all the good reasons to let it rot. But on the upside, it was a really cute small cabinet, the artwork used to be stunning, it looked complete, it was a original Japanese cabinet, the price was right and ..... I was there and I just had to save it.

I drove home, promised the wife that it would only be in our garage for a short stay and unloaded it. A quick inspection of the wiring showed a broken of wire at one of the connectors. I reconnected it and decided to start it up.... I mean hell it was not working to start with so what could go wrong....... I plugged it in and flipped the switch.

.......... I was looking in the back, saw the neck of the tube glow and..... heard a familiar space invader sound. I quickly moved to the front. Only sound no picture, but what I had not seen in the dark was revealed now by the burning TL tube, a see through mirror with behind it a lovely landscape. ........ Not the normal space invaders moon but a desserted valley on a astroid with stars and two unknow planets in the sky.... What a desolated place to defent mankind against those nasty alien horde. A sharp pop, sound fading, smoke and a nasty smell.... a rude wake-up call. I pulled the plug, looked in the back decide that the still smoking Elco was a warning to not push my luck. This baby needs some love and some ordely checking out before we fire her up again.

Laszo

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Building
    • View Profile
Re: Logi Tec Space Invader (salvation)
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 02:13:03 PM »
So I started with some close up inspection..... Mice have been living in the cabinet. Lots of droppings and rust on top of all the metal parts. "Funny" to see how this mice pee only corroded the top side of al the metal parts. Furthermore they seem to like only certain collor wiring while other wires where not touched.

some pictures:

Laszo

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Building
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 02:17:41 PM »
Does any hardware look familiar??? I do not have any schematics and I will probably need to do some repairs  :-[

Laszo

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Building
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 02:23:49 PM »
So I decided to start reparing and cleaning bottum up, starting with the cracked power plug. Totaly dirty line filter including the rusted cver that I found at the bottum of the cabinet.

Some pictures again:

Laszo

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Building
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 02:29:36 PM »
Next the transformer plant:

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 02:40:53 PM »
looks like a lot of work ahead of you, but so far you're doing great! good luck!!!
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Laszo

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Building
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 02:51:59 PM »
Tested the net filter and the transformer plant and it all tested good. I did however move the high tap from 220V to 240V, otherwise all values on the output side where to high. Since 1978 the Dutch power grid moved from 220v to 230V. So up next is the power supply  board.

It needed some serious cleaning and re-capping. I clean the boards and wiring as follows, first I put it under the hot water tap, then I apply Dasty degreaser and a soft brush the remove all dirt, than cleansing it under the hot tap again to remove all the Dasty, finally I put the whole board under in cleansing alcohol (spiritus). The spiritus removes all the water. Next is the hot air blower to quickly remove the alcohol.... best to do this outside.... saves the brain  :P (less typo's)

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2012, 02:54:09 PM »
When I saw the first picture of this post...

...I though it was a 70s mechanical with a white flying saucer!  :P ... it was just the background (and the planet Saturn).

Good work on this project!

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2012, 02:58:00 PM »
Looks like alot of work, but that big difference between before and after makes it all so worth.

I love to see the before and after pics.
Just to see what a little effort can make so much difference!

anyway, goodluck !

Laszo

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Building
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2012, 03:28:36 PM »
So far so good. Next the wiring harnas. Cleaned it as posted above. It was so dirty.... and it came out so nice... I could see the different collors agian  :D.....  >:( I could also see a lot of bare wires..... MICE  :pac:eat wires.... Funny and lucky for them and me they did not try the HV wires. Still a lot of checking, replacing wires and applying shrink tube.

Next step connecting the transformers, power plant and the powerboard. I flipped the switch, let's see what happens.....well all looked ok, the fuses did not blow....still a heard some sputtering, listened more closely and then noticed one new Elco's was getting really hot and it was venting gass..... POWER OF, inspected the board... stupid me this Elco was part of the -5V set-up.... So it should have had the + lead tied to ground not the  - lead. AS INDICATED ON THE PRINT  :oops: :oops:

So fixed that, switched the power plant back on and started measuring. 18V check, 12v check, -5v check, 5V  :-\ :-\ NOPE 11,8 Volt. NOT GOOD.

So I started tracing the problem with no schematics to help me. I traced the problem down to the voltage regulator a:

Toshiba: TA7089P

so I downloaded the sheet to check this baby out.... yep the input and ground pin where correct, 0V and 11,8 V, the output should then be 5V but is was 11,8 Volt.

Did some more measuring and while doing so the chip suddenly died completely one moment the output was 11,2 Volt next ....nothing at all, all pins except input where death.....

Does anyone know a source where I can buy, this voltage regulator, a replacement or a substitute like a TA7089m (different housing). So far I found really expensive resources... over 20 Euro's including shipping (China, South Africa ect.)

I surely hope that the 11,8 Volt did not reach the PCB.

Laszo

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Building
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2012, 10:25:33 PM »
little update, little progress, just ordered 2x TA7089 in China. So let's wait and see ...... while waiting for the parts I did take the coin door and the cash drawer apart, this must be applied by a non native speaker  :)

Laszo

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Building
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2012, 10:31:49 PM »
service :)

this one must have gone round.

many guilders have hit this spot.....

Laszo

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Building
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2012, 10:36:42 PM »
Did some wood work/glue work today:

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2012, 07:31:23 AM »
hehehe, i need that SURVICE Sticker in my collection  ;D

« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 07:34:00 AM by Etienne »

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2012, 07:45:32 AM »
Great hardcore resto of a bootleg: Love it !!

Mice infested....seems to be pretty rare in Europe, even more credit to you for doing this !!

I really like the idea of painting the transformer. Some transformers you don't get to look good with just cleaning etc. Looks like you removed parts of the transformer before painting ?

None of the hardware looks familiar to me, I'm really curious what kind of monitor that is.

Keep it up ! :)