Author Topic: [Restoration] Veni, Vidi, Vindicators  (Read 113618 times)

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
Re: [Restoration] Veni, Vidi, Vindicators
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2011, 04:39:03 PM »
Looks to me that you got a major short in the transformer  :-[

secondary is not connected to anything , and is also not shorted right ?

EDIT:
looking at the schematics, i notice that the transformer likes 115V AC...

does the fuse also blow when you feed it 110V ?
if yes, then your transformer is defenetly busted.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 08:13:21 PM by Etienne »

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2011, 04:42:26 PM »
Looks to me that you got a major short in the transformer  :-[

with shorted you mean that for example two wire ends are touching, right? i'll have to check that again - not that i made a rookie mistake!
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2011, 04:45:00 PM »
Looks to me that you got a major short in the transformer  :-[

with shorted you mean that for example two wire ends are touching, right? i'll have to check that again - not that i made a rookie mistake!
Yes, thats what i mean, that could happen in a testing enviroment..
i have it too sometimes, i simply forget am too lazy to isolate the wires  ;D

ps edited my earlier post  ;)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2011, 04:49:28 PM »
does the fuse also blow when you feed it 110V ?
if yes, then your transformer is defenetly busted.

how can i feed it with 110v? stepdown transformer should do the trick ...

is it possible that i damaged the transformer because i used the wrong voltages? or are the fuses protecting the transformer from something like that happening? i sure hope so ...

all i thought about was changing the setting on the switching power supply, i never thought of the transformer!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 05:23:51 PM by Superully »
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2011, 05:30:47 PM »

i guess i got lucky with this one, because i hooked the power supply up to a stepdown converter, the fuse did not blow, i got a nice humming sound from the transformer and the AC voltages are were they are supposed to be - around 110 volts :).

i'll report back with another wiring question soon - need to upload some photos first! stay tuned ...

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2011, 05:45:26 PM »
back with another wiring question:

now i need to hook up the switching power supply - let me show you which connections we have here :arrow:

the first two wires are the black & white AC wires, they go on the switcher's two different AC connectors - no problem here!

but then i have four more terminals. two of them (red wires) are labeled 5V, so both of them have to be connected to the one +5V12A connector of the switcher. the other two (brown) wires are not labeled, the schematics list them as +5 RTN (RTN = return?).

my questions:
- where do i have to connect those two brown terminals to?
- what does +5 RTN mean / do? what is its function (i want to understand what's going on here, not just connect stuff at your command)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 07:19:20 PM by Superully »

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2011, 07:08:17 PM »
That's a great story, seems like nothing is impossible for a crazy Arcade Collector. ;D

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2011, 08:24:25 PM »
Super, a stepdown converter does do that trick, i mean there is nothing in the schematics like a selector

I think you are thinking in the correct direction regarding the wires Ully,

I mean it does make sence "RTN" - Return (i have never seen that term, just "+5v ground" )

And another clue is that the brown are tied together with the red ones, and that brown is in combi with red is a negative color.
I would expect red and black for + and - but maybe they do brown to indicate that its ground for a positive 5v line and use black for negaitive 5v lines

and i think they use the term RTN because if they call it -5v, you could be confused because there is also a "real" -5v line on the switcher.

but i hope somebody else can confirm my theory, because i "THINK" you are in the good direction.. not 100% and i dont want you to blow stuff because i was "thinking it was correct" ..

EDIT:
thinking about it, i guess the wires are going to the edge connector from the board, so check there and see where it connects to the board, if it is connected to ground on the PCB, then you can assume that the brouwn wire is the ground on the switcher  ;)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 08:27:23 PM by Etienne »

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2011, 10:05:05 PM »

thx etienne! i'll check tomorrow where those wires connect to and take a picture of the connections, but i'm pretty sure we're right! perhaps someone else wants to chime in on this ...?

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2011, 10:26:52 PM »
i dont expect any updates today from dutch members, they are all celebrating queensday here  :D

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2011, 12:11:52 AM »
Yup, I already posted WAY to much for a Queensday.

Leve de Koningin !  ;D

speleo_de

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2011, 11:02:13 AM »

thx etienne! i'll check tomorrow where those wires connect to and take a picture of the connections, but i'm pretty sure we're right! perhaps someone else wants to chime in on this ...?

+5V Ret(urn) is GND !

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2011, 06:53:58 PM »

the restoration continues ...

i want this restoration to come together nicely, which means that i don't want to have to wait for one final part of the puzzle forever (which is always the case :P). for that reason, i've decided to scan the sideart early on to give the vector king enough time to work his magic! :-*

last weekend, i pulled out an old a3 scanner i still had in storage

i installed a wooden bar (padded underneath so that the artwork doesn't get damaged) as a guide for an accurate straight scan of the side

let the scanning begin ...

the results are coming in!

with the help of panorama studio, i stitched the individual pieces together and while the resulting file looks nice at first glance, ...

... zooming in reveals a very blurry picture :(. the reason for that is simple: the construction of the a3 scanner doesn't allow it to lie entirely flat on the surface, there is always a little space between the object and the scanner glass which results in what you see here :arrow:

i forwarded the file to etienne to have a closer look and while he told me he could work with it partially, we would never get the desired accurate results - the scanner is simply too old (i couldn't even get it working under windows 7). for that reason, he adviced me to get a new scanner and as far as i know, there's only one logical solution :). a couple of days later, a box was dropped off at my doorstep!

inside, an hp scanjet 4670 - the scanner we've all come to love :-*

same setup - only one week later

i simply l-o-v-e that see-through feature of the scanner

and it works under windows 7 8)

the colors of the scan are much more vibrant

but what about the details?

for comparison, let me first show you the a3 scan again (done with the old mustek scanner) :arrow:

and here are the results (of the german jury) with the newly-aquired hewlett-packard scanner :arrow:

like day and night! is that good enough to work with, mr vector king? ;)

to be continued ...

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2011, 08:05:23 PM »
hehe, i told you, that see trough is a top scanner in my book

and its touching directly the surface, so no plastics around that create spaces between the scanner and surface

another big + is that its native supported by Windows 7, so no trouble with drivers etc etc etc.

I think the result is looking good, much more sharp than the old scan you did

whats the setup you use ? 300 Dpi, 600 Dpi ? Tiff, JPG, BMP ?

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2011, 08:12:45 PM »
This is to cool!!! must give a lot of credit to "our" vector king Etienne!!!! you rock! :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:

Also like you said (Etienne & Ully) so cool that you can look trough the scanner and actually see the thing that is supposed to be scanned!!!