Author Topic: [Restoration] Veni, Vidi, Vindicators  (Read 113543 times)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
Re: [Restoration] Veni, Vidi, Vindicators
« Reply #180 on: December 28, 2011, 05:41:08 PM »

the christmas holidays also give me time (and energy) to finish some dreaded jobs - one of them is replacing those bullsh** omron switches used on the controllers. remember: i was able to play ONE round of vindicators before the first button decided to say good-bye. :evil:

those switches are doomed to die eventually, but there are good reliable replacements out there, found in old computer keyboards. through an enormous effort, etienne managed to salvage a full bag of switches during his PROJECT KEYBOARD and thankfully handed me a couple of those during eurocade. now, almost four months later, i decided it was finally time to give those switches a try! out comes the bag :arrow:

let's compare those switches: original omron switch on the left, keyboard switch on the right

not too many differences, this could actually work!

however, when i try to insert them into the controller handles, i have to realize that they are too wide and so they won't slide in completely :(

no problem, brute force is always a solution :twisted:. out comes the rasp!

after making the switches thinner, they fit in nicely (forgot to take a picture, sorry). soldered the wires to the new switches and after more than two hours of screwing, filing and soldering all the buttons register nicely on the test screen! :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:

thx again for your efforts, etienne, luckily it paid off! now the game can finally be played without the fear of those buttons failing ... :)
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #181 on: December 28, 2011, 05:49:52 PM »
Haha love that solution !  :spaceace: for Etienne !

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: December 28, 2011, 07:57:00 PM »
Glad i could help !
(and that it actually works !  :spaceace:)

Segasurvivor

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: November 15, 2015, 10:58:32 AM »
Epic restore it is really helpful to my restore, thanks

I need to either buy some restored controllers if anyone is selling?!

:wink:

or I need the O rings if anyone has a link
thanks again to Etienne for posting me some new switches

Also I can't find that black matting for the tracks - anyone have a link?!

thanks in advance