Author Topic: [Restoration] Veni, Vidi, Vindicators  (Read 113622 times)

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
Re: [Restoration] Veni, Vidi, Vindicators
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2011, 04:32:36 PM »
...... i only wish i were as creative when it comes to electronic stuff ... :-[

Don't worry, thats what we are here for at DLF..

you cannot know everything,
I mean i get electronics a bit more than you, but your woodworkingskills  amaze me every time !

so bottomline is , everybody has got theyre specialty

kroustibat

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Pascal-O-Rama
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2011, 08:52:01 PM »
Ully i'll follow this thread with great interest, as the xybot cab is almost the same

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2011, 09:26:12 PM »
Can´t wait to see this one finished!  :spaceace: :spaceace:

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2011, 10:21:33 PM »

the restoration continues ...

just some cleaning for now, but isn't that what a cab makes shine? 8)

started with the (german) instruction decal which looked like this before :arrow:

and after some scrubbing

it cleaned up perfectly - absolutely flawless!

up next: the chain decals

looks like someone tossed paint over them

but nothing can withstand my cleaning powers

most of the fabulous results were achieved by use of cheap korean magic sponges - they hold up like sh**, but do their job!

to be continued ...
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2011, 12:25:26 AM »
Yes, I've been "eating some" today as well.... :D

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2011, 09:43:28 PM »

ok guys, i think it's time to reveal ...

... THE MASTERPLAN!!!

for that, i have to elaborate a little bit! when i had the chance to get the cabinet back in december, i knew about the condition it was in (missing parts etc.). in order to make a restoration even possible, i had to make sure i would be able to aquire all the parts needed to bring the cabinet back to life. for that, i asked around on the klov forum and as luck would have it, i found a guy named pat who was just about to dump a badly water-damaged vindicators cabinet. i asked him for pics and my wish was his command :P

it seemed as if everything i needed was there, so i asked pat if he could strip the cabinet for me before taking it to the dumpster. he kindly agreed and took everything out, but this left us with an even bigger problem: how to get all the stuff over to germany without me paying a fortune on shipping costs. once again i got lucky, because not only was pat kind enough to salvage the parts for me, he also happens to be an airline pilot! and we all know what airline pilots do: they fly to other countries ... ;D

back in the winter months, pat was scheduled to fly to spain and to england, therefore we thought about him bringing the stuff over to wherever he was travelling and shipping it from some european country over to my place in germany. that sounded like a good plan, because shipping costs would be minimized a lot by doing so. we checked back and forth for the cheapest options (england or spain? which postal service to use?), but were not totally happy with the solution, so i asked pat if he would be flying into germany anytime soon. and guess what, at the end of january pat told me there might be a chance he would be flying to frankfort at the end of april (which is only 1 hour 15 minutes away from my place). with that promising outlook, we decided to put everything on hold and get in touch again in april to see whether it was going to work out.

jump to the beginning of april: i was contacted my pat confirming that he would indeed be coming over and that he could bring the stuff with him :-*. the date he mentioned was april 19 which seemed like a perfect date first, but then i realized that i had a parent-teacher meeting in the late afternoon exactly on that date which was impossible to postpone. "what the f***", i thought, "this is a chance i have to take no matter what!". pat gave me the address of the hotel he and his crew were staying (located in mainz which is pretty close to frankfort), we made an appointment for that day and all i could do now was hope and pray everything was going to work out as planned ...

jump to april 19: i rushed home from school and threw my stuff on the floor :arrow:

i even took the time for the usual statistic pictures

leaving lauda on a beautiful spring afternoon

some serious building going on here

planes are coming in - i must be approaching frankfort airport

that's what i call a futuristic hotel

mainz is an extremely green city ...

... with some nice old buildings

i was delayed by 15 minutes because the autobahn exit i was supposed to take was closed because of road constructions - who would have guessed. i had to take a detour of roughly 5 kilometers through the city center, but managed to reach the hotel eventually

at the front desk, i called pat on the phone and he asked me to come up to his room - let's take the elevator!

fourth floor - where are you pat?

because he knew I was on an extremely tight schedule, pat was already on his way with a huge heavy box in his hands

the arcade stuff loaded into my car: a big mystery box and a smaller one with the pcbs inside :)

the street lights are still out - i might make it in time for my school stuff

one last tunnel before hitting home turf

341 kilometers travelled, ...

... 17 minutes ahead of schedule - i made it!!! :spaceace:

the next day, i dragged the heavy box up into my apartment - ready to be inspected and approved by my cats!

pat told me that he had wrapped the box in gift wrap paper because he wanted it to feel like a birthday present for me - and because of that, let's tear it open! :twisted:

looking very american underneath :)

let's check out a few items that were inside, for example the entire marquee assembly

looks like someone bought this at an auction

also inside, the two speakers

finally, not one, but two fully populated control panels. while the sticks are rusted as well (but no problem, powdercoating will do the trick), the panel itself and the overlays are in much better shape than the one i already have - totally usable!

there was more inside of the box like a complete wiring assembly and the power supply, the only things i'm missing now are the lower fan guard (pat told me the one on his machine was damaged beyond usability) and of course the monitor!

it was a combination of sheer luck and some careful planning which has brought me to this point and which is now going to allow me to bring this game back to life. i would not have been able to do this without the help of pat and i will be forever grateful for his patience and dedication - once again this proved how great this hobby and the community are! thx so much, pat, you rock!!! :-*

:spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:

what do you think of my masterplan? 8)
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2011, 10:18:02 PM »
Like Hanibal from the A-Team used to say;

"I love it when a plan comes together" !

Thats community !
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 10:19:42 PM by Etienne »

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2011, 10:50:03 PM »
Hey hey, gotta think about Ully, he probably can't see that youtube video because of copyright reasons, so here's one I'm sure he IS allowed to see:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0PmpA-JYFY&feature=related

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Nice story by the way !

P.S. My son envies Pat, he wants to become an Airline pilot too ! :P

(I only skimmed the pictures first, and thought: how in heaven's name could he bring that on board without paying extra for over-luggage..... :))

As we say in Holland Ully, you've got a golden .... !

P.S. 2, I'm pretty sure the reception of that Hotel would have kept that package for your pick up some time.... but I know how it works.....;) Also cool to meet Pat, however short the moment :)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 10:55:23 PM by Level42 »

ataritoobin

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2011, 11:14:24 PM »
Fantastic story  :D !

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2011, 12:26:16 AM »
Does he fly passengers or freight ? maybe next time he can fly in some cabs ;) ;) ;)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2011, 08:05:57 AM »
Does he fly passengers or freight ? maybe next time he can fly in some cabs ;) ;) ;)

unfortunately only passengers :P

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2011, 08:29:46 AM »
Hey hey, gotta think about Ully, he probably can't see that youtube video because of copyright reasons, so here's one I'm sure he IS allowed to see:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0PmpA-JYFY&feature=related

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

No offence Ully but that sounds so wrong   :) :)

Its like when you see Clint eastwood translated in German; "Grüß Gott cowboy"  ;D

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2011, 08:57:21 AM »

with a nice fan guard found by andré (thx man :-*), all i need is a fitting monitor for that cab. originally, the monitor was still inside the cab when i picked it up, but it looked like this :arrow: :'(

nevertheless, i decided to remove the monitor and take it back home with me, because parts of the chassis might be usable later on AND it can't hurt to have a monitor frame like that. since the neck had been destroyed, there was no more vacuum inside the tube making it totally useless!

the broken neck :evil:! unfortunately, someone also grabbed one or two parts from the chassis and cut some wires, but i'm going to keep it anyway. the tube however needs to go!

ok, what's next, you might be wondering - here's the answer :arrow:

what? another roadtrip? where to - here's the answer :arrow:

why? just the other day i got another email from pat. he had checked with customs and got the clearance to bring in another much needed item ;D. so here i am again - back in mainz!

unfortunately, i wasn't able to meet pat this time, because i was busy doing something else (;)), but he dropped the box off at the front desk and arranged with the reception to keep it there for one day. although it's big and bulky, they kindly agreed to do so :-*

here's the mystery box and my car in front of the hotel - again (starting to feel like a second home 8))

warning label on the box

on my way back i made a short detour because i had a basket full of metal parts on board as well

where do they all come from? well, this is what one vindicators controller looks like ...

... and here's what one disassembled vindicators controller looks :shock:

i had disassembled all six controllers (from three control panels) and had sorted out parts (because some metal parts were either broken or worn out). my idea is to have four fully functional restored controllers - two for the game and two as spares. throw in some coin door parts, marquee retainers and grills and what you get is this :arrow:

what to do with those? off to my favorite powdercoater of course!

because of the wonderful weather, i decided to try another route home this time when i spotted something unfamiliar on the horizon

an old jewish cemetery!

sorry for going off-topic here, but i simply love places like that - there's something magical about them!

if you're bored by stuff like that, simply skip the following pictures :P

a bird's nest on one of the gravestones

and if you're bored by statistics, skip those pictures as well

half past twelve - the cats are already very hungry upon my return home. perhaps i brought some special cat food with me in that box ...

... or they are as anxious to find out what's inside of that mystery box as i am!

so let's open it up - no too difficult to guess what's inside of it, right? :D

who would have guessed - a monitor! :)

neck is intact!!!

identical model to the one that was inside of my cab

pat had told me that the screen had some serious screen burn, but that it won't be (or only hardly will be) visible during gameplay (same as on my gauntlet)!

and finally: the two monitors in comparison!

once again, i can't thank pat enough for dragging this thing over to germany and for helping me complete my missing parts list - let the game(s) begin!!! :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2011, 09:40:01 AM »
Some pictures are great  :-* I'm in love with that one  :P  :arrow:

Can I use it for my Ghosts'n'Golbins topic  :P ;D

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2011, 12:11:34 PM »

now that i've got all the parts together, i can also concentrate on the technical side of things (not just the resto stuff). for that, i'm starting with the power supply which was also in one of pat's boxes!

we can call that dirty, can't we?

took it apart and cleaned it up a little bit - much better now :-*

i even found a nice fuse block cover in a box with spare parts

speaking of fuses, you might have realized that after the cleaning job one of the fuses is missing (f1 250v 3a slow-blow). why? because when i wanted to test the power supply, it blew immediately. but not only that, it also "destroyed" the light bulb in the room i was working in and cut the entire electricity for the room.  :o

something's indeed wrong here, right?

so i started from the front by replacing the blown fuse, disconnecting everything and simply measuring the voltages at the end of the power cord (not that there is a short inside there somewhere), but everything was fine. up next i connected the filter to the power cord and measured at the blue and brown wire coming out of it - still fine! i then removed the black and white wires which go into the huge transformer - voltages were still fine. however, when i reconnected the huge transformer to the rest of the unit, the fuse blew again ...

so i guess it's safe to say that the transformer is causing the problem. don't know if it is set for 120v (probably), there are some wires there which are connected, perhaps some re-wiring has to be done first. heres a picture of the secondary side of the transformer (do you call it like that?), on the other side and black and white wires go into the transformer.

because those wires didn't clean up nicely, let me give you the colors from left to right:

red, white/red, violet, blue/white, yellow/white, brown/white

now have a look at the schematics

is there anything i have to change? note that the switching power supply is not connected yet, but i guess this doesn't make a difference for now, does it? once again, f1 is blowing, the fuse right behind the filter!

any help / input is appreciated! :-*