Author Topic: [Roadtrip] It's not a race (anymore), it's a RALLY  (Read 102207 times)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
Re: [Roadtrip] It's not a race (anymore), it's a RALLY
« Reply #105 on: August 08, 2011, 12:57:24 AM »
Whats up with rally ATM ully ?

i haven't been able to find the right piece of aluminum for the reproductions of the control panels yet. seriously, i haven't done any digging for a while now, my main priority is to finish the moon patrol & the jungle king at the moment. but the rally definitely is not forgotten!
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 17, 2011, 10:46:16 PM »
i haven't been able to find the right piece of aluminum for the reproductions of the control panels yet.

finally started work on this one again. since i haven't been able to find the correct aluminium and even if i had been successful it would still have to be cut to the correct size and put all the correct holes inside, i've decided to use the original pieces. i'm going to sand them down completely and create the brushed aluminium look myself later. first test runs have been pretty convincing, so hopefully this is going to work out!

this cabinet is a piece of art on its own and it deserves to be (dis)played!
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 24, 2011, 11:56:14 AM »

as i've stated above, i've been working on the control panel lately and here are the results so far. originally, it looked like this with worn-off paint and some nasty scratches :arrow:

player 1 doesn't look much better either

and the coin insert plate with the scratched-off "25c" text. this is going to be replaced by the word "TOKEN" later

before doing anything else, i need to scan the original art

stitched together!

my idea is to have the text silkscreened back onto the panel, but in order to do so the old text (and the scratches) have to go, so out comes acetone!

coming off nicely

a couple of cheap magic sponges later ...

... the text is gone, but the scratches remain - who would have guessed? :P

in order to get rid off them, i'm taping the metal pieces to a plank of wood ...

... and out comes the orbital sander! :twisted:

after that, a nice round of metal polish

look how clean and shiny this is now. honestly, i've been thinking about using it like this without the brushed aluminium look, because the other metal pieces on the cabinet are also shiny (no brushed effect there), but i've decided to go for the original look eventually. what would you have done - shiny or brushed?

in order to create that brushed aluminium look, i'm taping the plate to a block of wood ...

... and then i'm slowly pulling it over sanding paper of various grain sizes!

still looking a little bit rough on the following picture, but after going over a 1200 grit sanding paper afterwards, it looks really really nice!

i did the same to the bigger piece of metal (the one with the player controls) and my idea is to take it to the anodizer on monday to add a protective layer on top. the anodizing process will also take away the shiny surface to produce a soft matte finish. however, i'm still not convinced 100% whether to do it like that or return to the shiny look!

i need some input, guys!!! it's not too late to turn back ...

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 24, 2011, 02:08:44 PM »
I like the brushed look, that also covers minor (future) scratches, and it was original like that.

although the shiny looks great too !

Glad your back at Rally, i like it !

vernimark

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 26, 2011, 12:31:08 AM »
wow great

Wil2000

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 26, 2011, 02:55:48 PM »
Like Etienne, I prefer the brushed effect, the shiny is nice on small areas, but all the control panel in shiny render would be a little too much bling bling.

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 27, 2011, 09:35:00 PM »
i'm really torn guys! i did some testing with the panel and the bolts which are "bling bling" and i don't like the combination of shiny bolts and brushed metal panel. additionally, the coin insert is "bling bling" as well. damn, if only i had two panels and could do both versions ...

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 27, 2011, 10:14:10 PM »
put the bolts in your drill and apply sandpaper..  then you got brushed bolts  ;D

jinxz

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 03, 2013, 08:14:42 PM »
regarding the text on the panel you can also look for someone with a vinyl cutter (like my Roland GX-24) and have them cut the text out of sticker vinyl. You peel the letters out, stick the negative sticker on the panel, use black spraypaint and peel the sticker off. Cheap and works great. I've done these letter on an oak surface :

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 03, 2013, 08:32:19 PM »
Thats r(e)ally cool stuff Jinxz !

by the way, this topic continued here right ?

https://www.dragonslairfans.com/smfor/index.php?topic=2265.0