Author Topic: [Restoration] The King of the Jungle: Aaayihiah-Yihi-Ahauauooooo  (Read 240970 times)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
Re: [Restoration] The King of the Jungle: Aaayihiah-Yihi-Ahauauooooo
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2010, 07:41:41 PM »
Gee did you try the paint on the motorbike in front of the shop ?  ;D ;D ;D

funkycochise

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2010, 09:04:01 AM »

not sure, but the "matrazen" shop adverts, without any hesitation.  ;D

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2010, 09:24:36 AM »

that is my motorbike. thought i'd go jungle king-style with it ;)
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2010, 04:13:10 PM »

the restoration continues ...

after two more layers of green and enough drying time, the sides are ready - for the next step!

the original colors weren't matte, but they weren't glossy either, that's why i went with satin-gloss. however, the result is a little bit too glossy, that's why i'm going to put a clear matte coat on top of everything once the stencilling job is over (which i would have done anyway) - this should even out the glossy effect a little bit without taking it away completely!

the result is stunning (looking even better in reality) - nice flat finish with just a little bit of orange peel! :-*

some more random shots. that green is gorgeous!

in the meantime, the stencils have arrived from the usa (perfect timing one could say), but unfortunately they didn't slip through customs >:(. even worse: it's a public holiday on monday, which means i won't be able to pick up the stuff before tuesday. DAMN!!!

this gives me time to do some preliminary test runs with a spare set of stencils and rollers. since max "scr33n" has achieved such fabulous results when "stencil-rolling" on the paint, i've decided to take the same route this time. for that, i've painted a board in green ...

... and applied some stencil leftovers! i was having a hard time making those stencils stick however, don't know whether it's the paint or the wood or a combination of both ???! anyone wanna make a guess which game those came from? ;)

two layers of dark green later ...

... i'm carefully removing the stencils and i have already been expecting those results: while there was no problem at all with paint delamination this time, i have a lot of paint runs under the stencils. this was most likely caused by the missing "stickiness" of the stencils (which i have mentioned above).

as you can imagine, i'm not happy with the results! :(

the big question is: will the taito stencils adhere better to the paint / wood of the original cab, thus preventing paint runs under the stencils? i sure hope so ...

to be continued ...

all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2010, 05:34:10 PM »
Woow, you're right  :o that fresh new green color looks absolutely gorgeous  :P
You're right to test the stencils technique first... It would be a real shame to miss that operation on the cabinet itself. :ghost:
Cannot help you because I've never tried any stencil job, and I can understand *after a previous bad experience* you'll take a maximum of precaution before starting THE operation.
Good luck and may the 'Scr33n' method by with you.

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2010, 11:26:41 PM »
Ully, what paint do you use ? (Brand)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2010, 12:08:38 AM »
brand is RELIUS (with a new updated formula), not some cheap home depot stuff. you can clearly see / feel the difference when compared to some other stuff i have used. you can also see the difference when looking into your purse ;)
oil-based by the way! i really think the problem was based on the bad adhesive quality of the stencils - at least that's what i'm hoping! i have a spare taito front door stencil from brian which i will use to make another test run on a different piece of wood before taking on the real deal with the sides. i want to make sure this is going to work out this time! does anyone know what type of wood those taito cabs used? what's it called? i need to find an identical spare piece.

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2010, 06:50:49 AM »
if i look to this pic, i would say that the sides are MDF, although it looks also a bit particle board maybe its a mix between MDF and particle board.
Anyway, MDF will be a good replacement for this kind of wood

the bottom is plywood (multiplex in dutch)

« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 06:55:41 AM by Etienne [NL] »

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2010, 08:18:49 AM »
if i look to this pic, i would say that the sides are MDF, although it looks also a bit particle board maybe its a mix between MDF and particle board.
Anyway, MDF will be a good replacement for this kind of wood

thx etienne! i agree with your assessment of the wood being a mixture: when you work on the flat sides it screams parcicle wood, the edges make it look more like mdf. i will take one of the smaller pieces to a shop with me and tell them that i want the exact same thing :P

Bods

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2010, 11:12:02 PM »
 :) Great work matey

Awesome to see a machine like this saved and brought back to life :D

I used to love Jungle Hunt on the Atari 2600

I picked up an original taito Jungle King pcb for my collection too

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2010, 07:08:01 PM »

today, the biggest package i EVER got from the usa arrived! :shock: a big THANK YOU goes out to brian from gamestencils.com for collecting the items for me!!! :-*

in it (among other items likes marquees, stickers and opto boards for my missile command) were a lot of parts for my ongoing jungle king resto project, for example a complete wiring harness!

also in it: the missing parts from my taito coin door (thx to anthony from quarterarcade for putting all that stuff together!), ...

... pcb brackets, ...

... the filter board ...

... and a jungle hunt control panel (identical to jungle king)! :)

a couple of days prior to the arrival of the box, i had already received a tube from brian :arrow:

obviously, it had been opened by the customs - look at all those stickers :o

in it, some taito stencils for an enhancement on the cab which i'll reveal in detail later ;D

a complete taito stencil set (sideart and coin door stencils)

the all-important copyright message - more on that later as well 8)

and last but not least: a control panel overlay!!! perfect quality as always (thx to rich from thisoldgame.com for doing this!)

now all i'm missing is a marquee and a pcb! @ravage & alpha1: ehmmmm ... ;)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2010, 07:10:52 PM »

the restoration continues ...

starting with something simple this time: the pcb brackets. as you can see on the following pictures, the rails which hold the pcb in place are somewhat out of alignment and the ugly yellowed glue underneath can be seen! :(

of course, superully has to correct this ;) so let's get the rails off first!

done ...

... and done!

anyone need glue? ;D

after a lot of polishing, the pcb brackets have gone from this ...

... to that! :spaceace:

up next: the bezel! i've tried to find one in europe - without success. i had found one in the usa, but importing that huge piece of glass would have cost a fortune - around 130 bucks (and you never know whether it's going to arrive in one or in a zillion pieces). therefore, i've decided to go with my own reproduction. as a start, i've placed an order for something big!

inside, a cut-to-size plexiglass

however, that's not good enough yet! i need something else, so let's place another order :)

a first peek inside

thx to andré (for sending me the graphics file) and some guy from the german arcade forum (for printing it), i now have a nice printout of the bezel artwork!

in detail

here are the tools i'm going to use to make the necessary cuts

operation successful!!!

fixing the artwork in the correct position

the artwork was a pain in the a** to apply because of the missing inner piece and the stretchy nature of the material. here's a picture of it after the application to the plexi. while it looks nice on the picture, it doesn't look that great in reality, because there really are some obvious air bubbles and sharp bends. perhaps i should have cut the inner white part AFTER attaching it to the plexi ???

however, one other thing bothers me (which i didn't realize before). have a look at an original bezel - can you spot the difference? :arrow:

apart from the fact that the instruction card at the bottom is an extra piece attached from behind, have a look at the top of the bezel where the "tarzans and the masks" are. have you noticed the cutout? this is not present on the reproduction and extremely difficult (if not impossible) to duplicate. i might give it another try with a second printout, but i want to replace the repro bezel with an original eventually!

i'm turning my attention to something else: the stencil problem i described above! in order to do some more tests, i got myself a piece of mdf wood (which is close to the original material) and painted it with the individual base colors!

spare stencils applied

after painting a couple of layers (sorry, no picture!) and giving the paint some time to dry, i'm slowly removing the stencils

great results on black

no problem with the copyright stencils on light green either

however, when i'm pulling off the bigger stencil, almost the entire light green layer comes off with it :(

the mess in detail

"why does the copyright message work and the rest doesn't?", you might be thinking. i have the answer for you 8)! i didn't give the light green paint enough time to dry completey before the first stencil job, i only waited for two days before applying the stencils. i received the copyright message stencils much later and therefore the light green layer had much more time to dry (i'd say five days). for that reason, the base layer wasn't dry yet when i put the first stencils on, but it was completely dry for the copyright message stencils. make sense?

one thing i need to change however is the thickness of the dark green paint: i put too much on the stencils which made the edges almost disappear. the individual layers have to be thinner! for that, i'm doing another test run, i want this to be perfect ;)

last thing for now: the jungle hunt control panel

while i think that the jungle king artwork totally rockzzz, the jungle hunt artwork on the other hand totally suckzzz - so it has to go!

the panel after a rough removal of the overlay - still a lot of glue on it >:(

after tons of paint thinner and a gigantonormous headache following the use of that stuff, the control panel is ready for the roadtrip to the powdercoater!

the hunt is over, bring on the king!!! :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:

to be continued ...

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2010, 07:42:16 PM »
I love to follow this 'story'  :) Very instructive... thanks for all these details  :-* I've no doubt about the happy end!  ;)

:spaceace:

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2010, 10:02:09 PM »
Great work ully !

now i understand why you ak about the cutting of plexi, but this is even better factory cut !

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2010, 10:11:39 PM »
Why didn't you use my Control Panel Cooking (TM) method ? Saves a lot of time. And headache.