Author Topic: [Restoration] The King of the Jungle: Aaayihiah-Yihi-Ahauauooooo  (Read 240957 times)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile

on his roadtrip to the abandoned warehouse in hungary, bela discovered - amongst others - a shinobi-converted taito jungle king. although it seemed to be in rough shape and it would take a lot of time and money to get all the jungle king parts together, i needed to have this cabinet in my collection, because i had played the game like a madman on my commodore 64. we managed to figure out a german - hungarian trade and so the cabinet made its way across the german border into my storage, where i did some first inspections!

everything about its shape screams TAITO, but (almost) nothing else suggests that this was once an original jungle king cabinet - i still don't understand why a Sega game ended up in a Taito shell ???

the right side - grey on grey

the left side - you can clearly see the original green jungle king colors underneath that layer of grey! :-*

a more detailed shot of the hidden artwork

as usual, the corners are rough, but the material that taito used on their cabs doesn't deserve to be called "wood" - i'll post more pics of that "crime" later on >:(

shinobi identification plaque on the back of the cab

shinobi control panel

the front of the cabinet will also need an overhaul

with the coin door removed, parts of the original art come to light

a sneak peek inside the cabinet (photo courtesy of bela ;D)

as you can see, a switcher has been installed (although it's falling apart) and an original shinobi pcb is present. if anyone is interested in the shinobi conversion kit, just let me know!

behind the generic marquee hides an original taito lighting system - completely different from the usual tube stuff! :P

because the cabinet needs a complete makeover, i've decided to dismantle it entirely which gives me better control over the individual pieces. fortunately, those taito games come apart easily: just a couple of L-brackets and some nails to be removed. let's start at the very top!

looking dangerous, doesn't it? :twisted:

halfway there ...

the sad remains of the on/off switch at the bottom of the cabinet - and an itsy-bitsy spider. can you spot it?

nothing left but the very bottom

the bottom viewed from the bottom ;) - a lot of work is going to be needed there as well!

just a couple of screws and nails i removed from the cabinet. i guess they need to be replaced ;)

in order to repaint the cabinet in its original color scheme, i need to have the colors scanned first. because the "scanner guys" need a large enough area to work with, i'm carefully removing parts of the grey top layer!

i can spot some interesting details at the lower left corner, so i'm once again using the exacto knife to "dig" for what lies underneath ...

i L-O-V-E :-* stuff like that!

to be continued ...

« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 01:18:26 PM by DarthNuno »
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
Re: [Restoration] The King of the Jungle: Aaayihiah-Yihi-Ahauauooooo
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 09:44:51 AM »
that sure need´s a lot of TLC! - but again, it´s ended in the right place!!! :spaceace:

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 09:52:27 AM »
that sure need´s a lot of TLC! - but again, it´s ended in the right place!!! :spaceace:
+100

Ronald Reagan

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 10:02:38 AM »
cool, it's like a treasure hunt
An Error Has Occurred!
The last posting from your IP was less than 40 seconds ago. Please try again later.

Laschek

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 11:22:00 AM »
i still don't understand why a Sega game ended up in a Taito shell ???

Why did a poker game end up in a Missile Command shell? Because the operator had it sitting in his warehouse, needed a new game and converted it to save on costs for a complete new game. Common practice (unfortunately for us) and nothing to do with what brand is what.

PS: you could consider buying a tumbler to make those screws shiny again, might be useful for other small metal parts as well  ;)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 11:25:04 AM by Laschek »

funkycochise

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 11:33:58 AM »
fortunately or unfortunately, debate is open.

if the cab was only there to waste some space, not sure the operator wouldn't have destroyed it.
So even if the shell is repainted and is a pain in the ass to remove now,
it's maybe the thing that saved its life.

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, 11:43:32 AM »
So even if the shell is repainted and is a pain in the ass to remove now,
it's maybe the thing that saved its life.

good point, it could have been trashed if it hadn't been converted, this way it lived to see another day (in the jungle) 8)
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Laschek

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2010, 11:45:51 AM »
Agree, good point, but it's still unfortunate that it's not in it's original condition  ;)

funkycochise

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 11:57:59 AM »
Agree, good point, but it's still unfortunate that it's not in it's original condition  ;)
of course.

that said, might the force be with you ully, shinobi is a pure gem of the modern era games

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010, 12:05:50 PM »
Well, its in a good place now for sure !

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2010, 12:16:59 PM »
Still, conversions are not as common in Europe as they were in the US. I think here most cabs were simply trashed after they reached the point of not earning money...only some lucky one's survived, the one's we are chasing each day ;)

Wouldn't it be better to remove the paint layer with some paint remover ?

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2010, 12:25:54 PM »
Wouldn't it be better to remove the paint layer with some paint remover ?

i tried that first, but the "wood" and the colors underneath didn't react too well to that stuff, that's why i scraped it off. since there are so many damages to the individual pieces, it needs to be repainted anyway!

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2010, 03:10:03 PM »
i tried that first, but the "wood" and the colors underneath didn't react too well to that stuff, that's why i scraped it off. since there are so many damages to the individual pieces, it needs to be repainted anyway!

If you're going to repaint the cab, why don´t you sand it down like you did on your Pac Man?

funkycochise

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2010, 04:49:35 PM »
I think he wants to know how the cab looks like, before erasing the sides arts.

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2010, 06:55:53 PM »
i know what the cab looks like underneath the grey layer, i just needed to "exhume" a large enough area for the colors to be scanned. the copyright message at the bottom i "unearthed" for a different reason ;). you'll find that out later. believe me: i know what i'm doing 8) - at least i hope so ...