Author Topic: :: Workshop :: @!#?@!? [Q*Bert of course] ;-)  (Read 118227 times)

scr33n

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
Re: :: Workshop :: @!#?@!? [Q*Bert of course] ;-)
« Reply #90 on: June 20, 2010, 01:40:13 PM »
Awesome result Bruno  :-* :-* and very nice video (great idea  :spaceace:) ...

... I'm the next ...  :wink: 8)
PROJECTS FROM SCRATCH:

Galaga - PacMan - Donkey Kong Red Cab - Track & Field Upright - Tempest - Burgertime - Gyruss - Defender - Track & Field Cocktail - Robotron 2084

RESTORATIONS:

Q*bert - Timber

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #91 on: June 20, 2010, 09:53:00 PM »
Thanks  :-*

On the negative side... I have to buy an other CBS Colecovision... Damn it!  :-\

Sonic 1992

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • I Wanna Go Back !
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 21, 2010, 04:46:45 PM »
Thanks Ully,

I'm using AdvanceMame/Dos RGB via scart. No knocker but it's possible to interface it, I would say. I'll check for that.

Yes, doing a such video takes a lot of time (I worked on it yesterday all the evening, and all this morning). I'm using iMovie (on my dear iMac  :-* :-* :-*), and the 'Indiana Jones' map route is an effect integrated in iMovie.

:)

Advance Mame & Scart is such a good thing... it basically guarantees a problem free future... as the original boards are so very old and most may be on the edge of breaking!  Bruno, Definately keep a good stock of everything you do with monitors and advancemame parts & supplies!   :D

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #93 on: June 21, 2010, 06:23:23 PM »
Great work Bruno. Beautiful restoration !!!!  :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:

And the video is brilliant :) Looks great on my 27" iMac :P

but ....but....but....where are the samples ??? Where is the speech ????

If you lure coily in the depths he has to scream AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH ! :)
And Q*bert HAS to swear when he dies !!  ;D

I mean, Q*bert without knocker is not too bad, but you have to get the samples working my friend !

By the way, I have exactly the correct knocker on stock !
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 06:30:53 PM by Level42 »

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #94 on: June 21, 2010, 06:36:41 PM »
By the way, what happened to the original game PCB it was working right ? Only freezing sometimes ?
Did you have it repaired ?

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 21, 2010, 07:00:34 PM »
Thanks André  ;)

You're right! I need the famous "Q*Bert" strange voice  :P I'll check how I can add them (probably a sample to add, but not sure).

I got a Q*bert boot, but still not working. It freezes when you start a game or after a certain time (30 sec to 1 minute...sometime more), even if you do nothing.
Because I have a Q*bert->Jamma adapter, I tested it on other jamma cab, in other to exclude the power supply. But I don't know how to fix or even localize the problem :-\

Oh, regarding the Q*Bert voice, I'm wondering if it wasn't an *add on* board to allow the speech synthesizer (like the extra add-on board who gives voices in Disc Of Tron) ? Mhhh maybe not (from WIKI page) :

A MOS Technology 6502 chip that operates at 894kHz and a speech synthesizer generates the sound effects and Q*bert's incoherent expressions respectively.[1] The audio system uses 128B of random-access memory and 4KB of erasable programmable read only memory to store the sound data and code to implement it. Like other Gottlieb games, the sound system was thoroughly tested to ensure it would handle daily usage. In retrospect, audio engineer David Thiel commented that such testing minimized time available for creative designing.[8]
"We wanted the game to say, 'You have gotten 10,000 bonus points', and the closest I came to it after an entire day would be 'bogus points'. Being very frustrated with this, I said, 'Well, screw it. What if I just stick random numbers in the chip instead of all this highly authored stuff, what happens?'"
David Thiel on the creation of Q*bert's incoherent swearing.[5]
Thiel was tasked with using the synthesizer to produce English phrases for the game. However, he was unable to create coherent phrases and chose to string together random phonemes. Theil also felt the incoherent speech was a good fit for the "@!#?@!?" in Q*bert's speech balloon. Following a suggestion from technician Rick Tighe, a pinball machine component was included to make a loud sound when a character falls off the pyramid.[5][6] The sound is generated by an internal coil that hits the interior of a cabinet wall. Foam padding was added to the area of contact on the cabinet; the developers felt the softer sound better matched a fall rather than a loud knocking sound. The cost of installing foam, however, was too expensive and the padding was omitted.[7]

I'll investigate on this.

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 21, 2010, 07:05:46 PM »
OK, there is a 'samples' package here, and it even includes ... the knocker sample  ;D

I'll add it, and shoot a new video  ;)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #97 on: June 21, 2010, 07:47:51 PM »
Cooooool !

Not sure about the Q*bert hardware. Maybe yours is actually a bootleg board ?

The bootlegs didn't have the samples IIRC.

Anyway, it's definitly worth it to add the samples on your mame set-up.

The hardware problems sound like something heating up quickly. You could try some cooling spray on the RAMs f.i.
Does sound like a problem that could be fixed.
Is the knocker in the cabinet by the way, just wondering if the Euro version also had a knocker installed. Sorry if any of this came up before :D

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #98 on: June 21, 2010, 07:53:51 PM »
Mmm, yeah it looks like original Q*bert has a number of PCB's (as I thought I remembered....)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #99 on: June 21, 2010, 07:55:41 PM »
Can you download the files from that site (the samples) Bruno ? I can't. I think my Q*bert Mame set-up doesn't have the samples either (at least I'm sure it doesn't have the knocker ! :))

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 21, 2010, 09:45:10 PM »
if you still have your ftp account here, then you can pick them up here  8)

they are in the folder "mame samples"

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 22, 2010, 12:06:21 AM »
As promised, here's a new video that show you the boot process (25 seconds)... and ... drum roll... the famous "@!#?@!?" speak & sound ...now working (thanks André for pushing me to add this  :P) :-*  :arrow:

@!#?@!?  :-*

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 22, 2010, 05:59:56 AM »
Great video! thanks!!!

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #103 on: June 22, 2010, 07:11:36 AM »
Yesssssssss, that's how it should sound ! :)

Can't miss the brilliant voice sounds on Q*bert, I loved them (and made me laugh) the very first times I heard them back in the day....

It doesn't sound like the knocker sound is played though, but I'm not sure if that would work at all with Mame. I'm sure I have never heard it work at least. Of course that sound is normally not produced by the voice board on the original hardware, so I guess Mame doesn't trigger the playback of that sample like the other one's.

AFAIK the knocker should be triggered after the screaming sound when Q*bert falls from an edge but I've never heard or seen it work like that for real or on video....

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 22, 2010, 07:31:24 AM »
Yeps, same for me : I've never heard the sound of the knocker in any Q*bert I've played so far... maybe that knocker stuff is a legend afte all? ::) :P I don't think so, but it's really strange..
For information, there was no knocker inside, and no trace of its existence when I got this *euro* cab.

Here's the way to add the knocker to this set up : LED-Wiz™ 32-port USB Lighting and Output Controller :
The LED-Wiz™ is a fully featured LED lighting and output logic controller capable of delivering up to 500ma per output at 5v DC. Programming tools are available for integration into your custom projects.

Argh... finally not this one for my setup... because it's USB, and so unusable in my DOS env.  :-X