Author Topic: [Restoration] The Joust Begins ...  (Read 90478 times)

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
Re: [Restoration] The Joust Begins ...
« Reply #75 on: August 04, 2010, 02:56:28 PM »
Quote from: Superully
have you tried asking om KLOV what the 0 means?
sure, in my joust 2 thread, but the Americans are probably just waking up - damn time difference

..... have patience my young padawan...  ;D ;D ;D rise the sun will in time..

Reinhold

• Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 04, 2010, 03:16:38 PM »

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 04, 2010, 03:30:17 PM »
thx, but i already have the mystic marathan manual. however, i can't find anything in there about the led display either.

btw, i've just removed, cleaned and reseated the roms - nothing has changed :(
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

scr33n

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 04, 2010, 07:02:36 PM »
btw, i've just removed, cleaned and reseated the roms - nothing has changed :(

In that case Advancemame is your friend ... at the moment  :wink:
PROJECTS FROM SCRATCH:

Galaga - PacMan - Donkey Kong Red Cab - Track & Field Upright - Tempest - Burgertime - Gyruss - Defender - Track & Field Cocktail - Robotron 2084

RESTORATIONS:

Q*bert - Timber

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 04, 2010, 07:07:48 PM »

not an option atm, i don't even have the mame rom files :P
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 05, 2010, 09:29:47 AM »

On my FTP in the dir "mame roms", there is something waiting for you  ;)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 05, 2010, 09:47:17 AM »
thx a lot, etienne!

i've just tried it out - working great, i need to get this up and running :spaceace:

the start up sequence is as follows: it does the rug pattern (messy colorful jumble), then puts up the image of the ROMs, and the rom slots turn green as the roms are checked (one stays dark, that's the one socket without a rom), then its "all systems go".

on my machine it goes like this: it does the rug pattern (messy colorful jumble), then puts up the image of the ROMs - but then it stops, so the roms do not turn green. somehow it seems to get stuck in the rom test!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 10:00:10 AM by Superully »

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 05, 2010, 09:59:59 AM »

On my FTP in the dir "mame roms", there is something waiting for you  ;)

hehe, there´s a lot of good stuff on that FTP  :spaceace:

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 05, 2010, 10:00:49 AM »
hehe, there´s a lot of good stuff on that FTP  :spaceace:

there will be more good stuff on it soon ;)

Ravage

• View Profile
    • Retrokade
« Reply #84 on: August 05, 2010, 10:23:23 AM »
Well thats interesting as "0" means operational and generally appears at the end of the test sequence....

I guess it'd be worth checkinf the first rom that turns green in the grid with romident/check as many roms as you can.... You might find a bent leg as you lift a rom or indeed it could be a bad rom or finally a crappy rom socket. Whatever - your well close...

Send me a phot of that battery mod will you =- I did one to mine and got a sneaky idea I put the battery holder in the wrogn way round as after returning in its not saving shizzle!

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 05, 2010, 10:24:37 AM »
i'm waiting  :D
sounds like i need to expand the diskspace a little  ;D ;D ;D

now only i need some more upload bandwith...  >:(
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 10:27:19 AM by Etienne [NL] »

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 05, 2010, 10:28:44 AM »
Well thats interesting as "0" means operational and generally appears at the end of the test sequence....

is the led display supposed to show ZERO or is it supposed to be blank at the end of the tests?

I guess it'd be worth checkinf the first rom that turns green in the grid with romident/check as many roms as you can.... You might find a bent leg as you lift a rom or indeed it could be a bad rom or finally a crappy rom socket. Whatever - your well close...

no idea how to do that! what kind of equipment do i need?

Send me a phot of that battery mod will you =- I did one to mine and got a sneaky idea I put the battery holder in the wrogn way round as after returning in its not saving shizzle!

andré did the battery mod, you can follow it closely on page 4 of this thread along with nice pictures! if you need anything else, just let me know.

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #87 on: August 05, 2010, 12:01:25 PM »

is the led display supposed to show ZERO or is it supposed to be blank at the end of the tests?

no idea how to do that! what kind of equipment do i need?

andré did the battery mod, you can follow it closely on page 4 of this thread along with nice pictures! if you need anything else, just let me know.

You will need an EPROM burner to read the EPROMs. Then you can check the read files on-line with this:http://www.system16.com/romident.php

But there's even a better tool that is online, you simply choose the file on your HD and the online tool tells you what ROM it is (or not, then you know it's bad). I can't remember what the URL is though....anyone ?

The screens with garbage in the beginning is testing the RAMs AFAIK. So, you don't even get one ROM to be indicated as good ? The testing of the RAM running is a pretty good sign I guess, at least I think the processor is up and running else it wouldn't do that I guess......

Have you pulled out the ROMs before and put them back in ? Are you sure you put them back in correctly (pin 1 on the correct side, correct ROM in the right socket, you can't move ROMs around between sockets as you can with RAMs). Are ALL pins correctly in the sockets ?

Just to check the basic stuff here...

About the battery mod: HARUMPF !!!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 12:06:01 PM by Level42 »

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 05, 2010, 12:24:41 PM »
You will need an EPROM burner to read the EPROMs. Then you can check the read files on-line with this:http://www.system16.com/romident.php

don't have something like that at home, but i could send the roms off to sascha, he has one at his disposal and i'm sure he would check the roms for me. nevertheless, would it be a good idea to get an eprom burner for the future and if so, how much does stuff like that cost?

The screens with garbage in the beginning is testing the RAMs AFAIK. So, you don't even get one ROM to be indicated as good ? The testing of the RAM running is a pretty good sign I guess, at least I think the processor is up and running else it wouldn't do that I guess......

nope, not a single rom turns green!

Have you pulled out the ROMs before and put them back in ? Are you sure you put them back in correctly (pin 1 on the correct side, correct ROM in the right socket, you can't move ROMs around between sockets as you can with RAMs). Are ALL pins correctly in the sockets ?

Just to check the basic stuff here...

checking basic stuff with guys like me is always a good thing, who knows where i could have screwed up ;) ;) ;) anyway, back to your question: i did NOT pull the ROMs before yesterday when i cleaned and reseated them and YES, all the pins are correctly in their sockets. remember, this was advertised as working here on the forum, so i'm sure the guy who sold it didn't mess with the boards.

About the battery mod: HARUMPF !!!

What? OINK, OINK :P

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #89 on: August 05, 2010, 12:39:53 PM »
Do a google on Willem EPROM or look on e-bay.

There's always a lot of discussion about the Willem programmers (Willem (=William in Dutch) was a Dutch guy who once designed a cheap and simple EPROM burner, the design has been around and about and improved ever since).

They are dirt-cheap, you need to hook up a PSU yourself and some say they work great and others say not.
I have no experience with them.

A professional burner is a lot more expensive, you can go up to 1500 Euro's for the most elaborate one (but this one does them ALL).

You can also search KLOV forum about them for loads of info. Usually burning/Reading ROMs is something you will do occasionally. I've read (EP)ROMs a couple of times at work. They always ID-ed correctly so far. Haven't done any actual burning yet.

If you want to buy one, make sure it can handle the old EPROMS like 2716 etc. etc.

Again a question about the ROM testing screen. Does it simply show all the ROMs and stay red, does it go through the check of all the ROMS ? ( I do not know how this works, just want to know if the check stops at the first ROM or goes through each of them) ?

About the Battery: Hey, I'm only human I COULD screw up. But I doubt it in this case ;)

By the way, here is the online version of the ROM identification tool (I love this because it's SO easy to use AND is available everywhere there's internet...):

http://www.coinop.org/RomId.aspx