Author Topic: [Restoration] The Joust Begins ...  (Read 90721 times)

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
Re: [Restoration] The Joust Begins ...
« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2009, 09:33:23 AM »
Looks fantastic Ully !  :spaceace:

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2009, 08:46:38 PM »

the restoration continues ...

one more set of stencils to go - TURQUOISE

the rest of the cab has been masked off thoroughly

turquoise premask removed

"charge the hose line"  ;)

the masks can be removed, the stencil itself has to stay on for a couple of days. DRYING SEASON

after about one week in a warm room, the final set of stencils has to say goodbye

this is like unwrapping birthday presents  :P

only one thing left to uncover (i've saved the best for last): the williams W

here we go. don't let yourself be confused by the picture: what looks like as if the paint has run underneath the stencil are just paint rests which can be scraped off easily. i'm so excited!!!

the famous williams W - the only thing missing now are the "registered" decals. i'm going to apply them later!

WOW!!! WOW!!!

at first glance the other side seems to be perfect, too, but a closer looks reveals that parts of the yellow paint have peeled off with the removal of the stencil  :evil:

in detail :'( as stated before, i don't know what was different on the right side of the cab which made the yellow color peel off, but no time to weep: i've already talked to brian from gamestencils.com. he will send me some small replacement stencils to redo the areas were the yellow paint is missing. this is going to be G-R-E-A-T in the end, it just takes a little bit longer!

to be continued ...

all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2009, 08:56:50 PM »
 :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 13, 2009, 09:21:23 PM »
Impressed I am  :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2009, 09:42:24 PM »
awsome looking!!!!!!
not  :spaceace: but  :spaceace: :spaceace: is in order here!!!!

flip971

• View Profile
    • Retrogame
« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2009, 10:03:12 PM »
Wonderful job Ully!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2009, 12:03:42 AM »
Do you think doing a Euro-Joust would be any harder ? You're most welcome to do one  ;D ;D ;D

scr33n

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2009, 01:20:53 AM »
Fantastic job Ully!!!!  :-* :-* :spaceace: :spaceace:
PROJECTS FROM SCRATCH:

Galaga - PacMan - Donkey Kong Red Cab - Track & Field Upright - Tempest - Burgertime - Gyruss - Defender - Track & Field Cocktail - Robotron 2084

RESTORATIONS:

Q*bert - Timber

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2009, 07:47:15 AM »
thx guys for all those  :spaceace:  :spaceace:  :spaceace: still a way to go though: repair the damages to the yellow, put on a clear coat, but everything back together and - not to be forgotten - get the game up and running  ;) but i'm extremely happy with the results so far compared to the condition the cab was in when i got it!

Do you think doing a Euro-Joust would be any harder ? You're most welcome to do one  ;D ;D ;D

thx for the offer, andré, and although it's very tempting ;) i'm afraid i have to pass ;D peeling the stencils off and seeing how the paint job turned out is wonderful and exciting, but getting there is a lot of work. what i hate most about that job is cleaning the equipment after applying the individual colors. i've used oil-based (or latex?) paint, which means you can't simply clean it under runnning water, you have to use thinner to get the paint off and out. this is NO FUN at all!
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Ronald Reagan

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2009, 02:41:34 PM »
looks great! nice job :ghost: :ghost:
An Error Has Occurred!
The last posting from your IP was less than 40 seconds ago. Please try again later.

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #55 on: November 26, 2009, 05:31:36 PM »
Ully "incidentally"  ;) ;) left his Joust 2 PCB at my place since his visit to pick up the Berzerk.

So I thought I'd not wait to long with some very needed work:

The same old problem with Williams boards: Leaking batteries !!! Luckely it's not too bad this time:

Backside, some damaged tracks and dull solderings. Have to scrape off all the crud.

Removed the battery pins, not needed anymore and uhm.....they're eaten a bit. Some were quite a battle because of the almost completely eaten solderings, but as always, I won:

Next I gave half the board a bit of a vinegar wash. (We call it "cleaning vinegar" here.) It's always fun to see the bubbling when the vinegar reacts to the acid. It's very little on this board luckily though. I had to scrape some of the crud from two diodes but they seem to be OK (will measure them).

After the vinegar has done it's work for some time, did a good rinse with water and then dried with paper towel and hairdryer
Next I cleared the soldering holes of the batteries (to get out the solder).

Next will be installing a new lithium battery plus holder.

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 26, 2009, 05:48:09 PM »
puh, i was wondering where that board was  ;)

seriously, andré, thx a lot for doing that for me, can't wait to put it back into the game to test it! and also a HUGE THANKS for taking those pics to document the progress.

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #57 on: November 29, 2009, 10:29:18 PM »
Was digging for IC sockets but found something else useful (that's how it always goes over here :) ):

Of course had to bridge to the main + connection to have it work. It's not a pretty sight, but the acid is gone and as long as it works....

Measured it, and it's happily providing 3.25Volts now. And it will be safe for at least 10 years.

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 30, 2009, 12:30:46 AM »
Clever boy  :D

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #59 on: November 30, 2009, 07:31:00 AM »
Clever boy  :D
Not me, I got the idea (and even the parts in this case) from good old Bob Roberts:
http://www.therealbobroberts.net/wmsbatt.html

Works great but it's not suitable for any boards that have a rechargeable cell (like Berzerk). Unless you disable the charging circuit (which could be as easy as soldering an extra diode) or use an alternative battery that can be charged.