Author Topic: OUTATIME...DeLorean DMC-12, I love you!!! (...and others BTTF stuff!)  (Read 102196 times)

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle

DeLorean DMC-12
(from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

The DeLorean DMC-12 is a sports car that was manufactured in Northern Ireland by the DeLorean Motor Company for the American market in 1981-1982. It is most commonly known simply as the DeLorean, as it was the only model ever produced by the company. The DMC-12 featured gull-wing doors with a fiberglass "underbody", to which non-structural brushed stainless steel panels were affixed. A modified DeLorean was featured as a time machine in the Back to the Future trilogy.

The DMC-12 was featured and mentioned in many films and on television, most notably as the time machine designed by Dr. Emmett Brown in the Back to the Future trilogy. Brown's rationale for choosing the DeLorean was stated in the first film: "The way I see it, if you're gonna build a time machine into a car, why not do it with some style?" The choice of the DeLorean was actually for the purpose of a gag in the film that occurs when the car arrives in the year 1955 and is mistaken for an alien spacecraft due to its resemblance to the picture on the cover of the farmboy's comic book cover, as well as for its gull-wing doors

...OK, I presume you all know what this car means for our generation  8)

Well, this baby is just in front of me   :o

I've to do asap the 'fan' pictures, sorry  ::) :P ;D  :arrow:

I'm in love about this car since the first time I saw 'her' in the first movie  :-* :-* :-*

Mr. Fusion

The Mr. Fusion Home Energy Reactor is the name of a power source used by the DeLorean time machine in the Back to the Future trilogy. It can be seen towards the end of Back to the Future when "Doc" Emmett Brown pulls into the McFlys' driveway after a trip to the year 2015, and is an obvious parody of Mr. Coffee machines, which were very popular at the time of filming. The appliance from which the prop was made was actually a Krups "Coffina" model coffee grinder, which is highly sought after by collectors.
The Mr. Fusion Home Energy Reactor converts household waste to power for the time machine's flux capacitor and time circuits using nuclear fusion (specifically cold fusion.) In the film, Mr. Fusion allows the DeLorean time machine to generate the required 1.21 gigawatts needed to travel to any point in time. The energy produced by Mr. Fusion replaces plutonium as the primary power source of the DeLorean's time travel and flight capabilities, allowing the characters to bypass the arduous power-generation requirements that the plot of the first film hinged upon. It is never mentioned what Doc Brown did with the remaining plutonium, or if he used it all during unseen trips after he leaves Marty near the end of Back to the Future part one.

De Lorean.... it kicks ass!!!  :-* 8) :-*  :arrow:

Hey, the car is now open... let's see what's inside...

Ok Doc, wanna go back in time with you... future for example?  ;) 8)  :arrow:

"Nope, already been there..."  ;D See  :arrow:

Yes!!! The famous "Jules Vernes Train" from the third movie  :-*  :arrow:

My god... it's really huge  :o :o :o... see  :arrow:

OK, now this is official, I need a DeLorean!!!  8) 8) 8) (locomotive is too big anyway...)

PS : This story is a segment on the big topic called : "Holiday in Florida / Texas [features Arcade Life Style stories] ...where you'll see others 'ALS stories'  ::) ;)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 04:09:27 PM by DarthNuno »

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

brian

• View Profile
Re: OUTATIME...DeLorean DMC-12, I love you!!!
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 08:35:39 PM »
My brother has a DeLorean. He has had it since he bought it in 1982. I haven't gotten to drive it very often, he did leave it in my care for about a month once. I was in charge of keeping it charged and to drive it around the block/neighborhood a couple times.

The first thing you will notice if you ever have to sit in one, it isn't like a normal U.S. car. It feels like you are sitting on the ground and more like you are sitting in a lounge chair rather than a car. I was told it is kind of how most of the european sports cars are.

The next thing you will notice is how many people will stop what they are doing in order to get a look at the car. I actually had people follow me home to look at the car. I also had a car of 5 high school/college girls pull along side of me yelling how they love me and flashing their breasts at me (yes it did happen). If they had actually seen the driver, in my 40s and balding, I doubt they would have done that. There was a car show in town. Someone had the new ferrari on a street near my house. There were like 4 or 5 people gawking at it. When I drove by, they left the ferrari and came right over to the Delorean.

It is a FUN car. It isn't really a fast car. It only has a V6 in the back and that isn't even very powerful. But if you want a car that will attract crowds and dont have $100k, this is the car for you. They really are not that expensive. They remanufacture Deloreans now with original parts and they sell them for new for about $40k (errmmm...looks like they went up quite a bit, now $60k). http://www.delorean.com/index.asp

If I had the money, I would definately have one of these for cruising around town.

I have a couple pictures I took of it. I will try to find them and post them here.

vib_ribbon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009, 09:41:41 PM »
i have seen them on the streets before. once near venice beach, la, and the other time it was round this neck of the woods in london.

a few years ago there was a small sized car show near the shopping centre in our area, and we were out shopping when we came across the de lorean and the a-team van.

since i always carry a camera with me, of course there were some silly photos...

edit: ahaha... the guy in the background was looking at me thinking, "wtf is this guy doing??"  ::)

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 05:28:07 PM »
and in case you have some spare money  :arrow: http://cgi.ebay.de/DeLorean-1981_W0QQitemZ190320703210QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAutomobile?hash=item2c4fff76ea&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A1%7C66%3A4%7C39%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A200

GO FOR IT!!!  :spaceace:

I'm sure one day I'll have it  ::) ... it's like an arcade game... keep the faith... be on the right place, on the right time... and hope to have enough money at that moment  ::) That's what happened when I got my Galaxian Theater or the Computer Space for example... but here, it's far more money  :oops: ...

...The next thing you will notice is how many people will stop what they are doing in order to get a look at the car. I actually had people follow me home to look at the car. I also had a car of 5 high school/college girls pull along side of me yelling how they love me and flashing their breasts at me (yes it did happen). If they had actually seen the driver, in my 40s and balding, I doubt they would have done that. There was a car show in town. Someone had the new ferrari on a street near my house. There were like 4 or 5 people gawking at it. When I drove by, they left the ferrari and came right over to the Delorean.

Wow... thanks for the story Brian. You are very luck... you tasted the power of the DeLorean, I mean in terms of 'Attraction'  ;) Like you say, I'm sure this car will attract more people than a 'common' Ferrari... It's not a matter of money... The DeLorean is such an Icon  :)
Yes, It would be great if you can find back the pictures Brian  :-*

... ahaha... the guy in the background was looking at me thinking, "wtf is this guy doing??"  ::)

This picture is AWESOME Vib "Matry" Ribbon  :-* :-* :-*   :spaceace:
The car seems to have some BTTF accessories on the back, regarding the picture?

vib_ribbon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 05:44:30 PM »
the POS just say where the motor show is...

bigger image:
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1209/1009182887_3c319f1d94_b.jpg

mr fusion

bluewater is near where finny's lair is.  :spaceace:

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 06:09:52 PM »
I'm in love  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*  :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Thank you for the pictures  ;)

:-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

FINNY(uk)

• View Profile
    • http://www.jasonfinn.com
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009, 06:35:04 PM »
Hi Bruno,

Did you ever see my Delorean? I searched 3 years for a back to the future spec which is Manual, 1981, with greay leather, there were 3 different bonnets, totally flat, one with the ripple, and one with the ripple and gas tank flap, I say ripple, I dont know what the two Lines are called that run down the bonnet.

I searched for 3 years to get one that was unmolested original mint condition, mine had done 6,000 miles from new, I imported it from the USA, look at the pictures in the link, the inside looked like it had never been sat in, the car was and still is the best example of a Delorean iv seen, apart being part of my favourite film, the brushed stailess steel is truly amazing, and when I picked it up from the local shipping port I couldnt believe the height of it...its so low, I drove it home with trade plates, there were people honking me, pionting, calling, guys hanging out of vans to see, it was surreal.

Unfortunatly I had to sell it last year to finance my house I am building, I regrete it, but some times we have to prioritise.

http://www.deloreans.co.uk/gallery/memberspages/jfinn/jfinn.html
-Finny

"Aim for the Moon! if you fall short your be with the Stars"

liquidx

• Bruxhell, Belgium
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2009, 09:26:43 PM »
Talking of Deloreans....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRTiZxNSjow

(yes, it's fake, but still funny)
findapinball.com - The European pinball locator

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2009, 03:20:12 AM »

Little trivia piece... did you know that the Mr. Fusion was actually a Krups Coffee Maker?

More trivia... the front tires are smaller than the rear tires. It means you cant rotate the tires.

More tidbits.... The windows are very tiny. About 6 inches high. Just enough to stick your arm out of to pay tolls. For drive throughs you have to open the gull-wing door.

One more tidbit.... the door opens in less space than a normal car door.

vib_ribbon

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2009, 08:54:42 AM »
wow, great photos.

whenever you step into the car, do you feel the urge to go 88mph??  :lol:

scr33n

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2009, 05:06:32 PM »
Awesome !!!

I love this car  :-* :-* Thanks for all these images  :spaceace:

PROJECTS FROM SCRATCH:

Galaga - PacMan - Donkey Kong Red Cab - Track & Field Upright - Tempest - Burgertime - Gyruss - Defender - Track & Field Cocktail - Robotron 2084

RESTORATIONS:

Q*bert - Timber

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2009, 08:44:11 PM »
wow, great photos.

whenever you step into the car, do you feel the urge to go 88mph??  :lol:

When you sit in it, it feels like you are going fast because of how low it is. The shifter knob is kind of in a wierd place. It takes a little getting used to since it is kind of up high. The reverse is a "pita" to find too.

I dont remember, but I think the spedo only went up to 85mph (Finny: since you owned one you should know). The 6cyl really didn't make it a speedy car...

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2009, 02:30:33 PM »
I dont remember, but I think the spedo only went up to 85mph (Finny: since you owned one you should know). The 6cyl really didn't make it a speedy car...

thats only 140 km/h,  thats certenly not fast
my 100 hp diesel seat ibiza runs 185 km/h and i still had a little space under the pedal....

i was thinking this was a faster car with 6 cilinders and 130 hp
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 02:32:05 PM by Etienne [NL] »

vib_ribbon

• View Profile