Author Topic: [Superully's Restoration] Bubble Bobble Project - here we go ...  (Read 125118 times)

Luigi

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
Re: Bubble Bobble Project - here we go ...
« Reply #75 on: February 06, 2014, 08:19:25 AM »
Ully, could you please measure the diameter of the white balltop? Is it screwed to the shaft or glued?

according to the manual, it's screwed to the shaft, but i haven't been able to get it off and i didn't want to use extreme force. so your joystick is missing the ball top?

No, it's there, it's red, and I think it's smaller than yours ;)

Just wanted to see if this size is available in the common sources :)

The repro will take some time, so get back to the other parts until it's done ;)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
Re: Bubble Bobble Project - here we go ...
« Reply #76 on: February 12, 2014, 06:23:53 PM »
this time, i wanted to make sure the electronics are working before starting with the woodwork stuff. therefore, i threw my bubble bobble pcb (bought untested) on the test bench, hooked it up to a bubble bobble jamma adapter and flicked the switch. unfortunately, i only got an i/o error on the screen. after some digging on the klov forum, i found that such an error might be related to a broken hybrid module? A WHAT? ???

i had never heard of something like that before, so in case you haven't either, here it is in the middle of the picture, it's that "chocolate thing"!

upon closer inspection, you can spot a crack running through the right side of the hybrid module! >:( could that be it? or is the crack only superficial?

so let's desolder that b**** :twisted:! as i suspected, it immediately cracks apart

time for a replacement chocolate bar :P

old module removed, new one in place

gnocchi approved!!! :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:

let's give this a try by hooking it up to the jamma adapter on my workbench

anxiously, i turn on the power!!!

can you hear my "scream of joy"? :)

superully's made himself a working bubble bobble board :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:

all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
Re: [Superully's Restoration] Bubble Bobble Project - here we go ...
« Reply #77 on: February 12, 2014, 07:14:25 PM »
That is so cool !   (and also your testbench ! )

congrats man !  :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 12, 2014, 09:30:03 PM »
Wauw!,, that test bench is killer!!!! Congrats on the working BB! Where did you get the chocolate thingy?? From a BB scrap board??

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 12, 2014, 09:40:34 PM »
Wauw!,, that test bench is killer!!!!

:twisted: yeah, it is indeed! my plan is to install a small vector monitor as well in the future - whenever that might be :D

Where did you get the chocolate thingy?? From a BB scrap board??

got it from a KLOV guy. but i need a second board for the LOST CAVE roms. there was one for sale on KLOV just recently, but i spotted it too late. there will be another chance for sure later 8)
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Laszo

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Building
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 13, 2014, 12:16:39 AM »
Well done. Does anyone know where i can find such a Hera setup..... Would be great for my cave.

Q*ris

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • CAP'TAIIIN ARCADE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 13, 2014, 07:22:57 AM »
Impressive Star Trek test bench!
Good job  :spaceace:

Luigi

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 13, 2014, 07:58:12 AM »
Congrats, Ully!!

btw...your cat almost looks like ours :)

mchay

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 13, 2014, 08:27:40 AM »
Probably wouldn't place the PCBs on top of the non-antistatic bubblewrap.

Nice job fixing it though ;-)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 13, 2014, 08:37:14 AM »
Does anyone know where i can find such a Hera setup..... Would be great for my cave.

willl be close to impossible. hera stuff shows up from time to time, but the test bench setup is custom made. i know that arcadiabay has an even better one, but of course they are not selling it. mine came from the infamous "world of arcade"

thx, but has anyone ever really heard of pcbs being damaged by bubblewrap? i know the warnings, but have yet to experience a pcb to break down because of it. but please, correct me if i'm wrong.

mchay

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 13, 2014, 08:45:48 AM »

thx, but has anyone ever really heard of pcbs being damaged by bubblewrap? i know the warnings, but have yet to experience a pcb to break down because of it. but please, correct me if i'm wrong.

There probably aren't many people who had boards die the second they placed the board on it, but there could go minuttes, hours, days, weeks (...) before something related to that would happen - if at all.

I just find that working with boards on wood or cardboard is a good way to work with PCBs, it being arcade or other hardware as exposed as this.

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 13, 2014, 08:52:37 AM »
there exist special ESD safe bubblewrap, standard bubblewrap can generate static electricity and possibly damage stuff.

but like you said, I have never experienced something bad happening, but that does not mean that its safe to do so.

I have replaced manytimes RAM modules in pc's without a wriststrap and I never have any problems, but I have seen a collegue of mine having issues.

so to be sure, don't use standard bubble wrap, but like Mchay says, place it on a piece of cardboard or wood.

Or just screw in those pcb feet so its only on those feet and not touching anything

There exist also ESD safe mats, which I think I still have one in my attic somewhere.

you can connect that to ground and that's the best workspace I guess

Now go build that ESD safe workbench Ully ;)

http://www.e-gizmo.com/ARTICLES/ESD/ESD5.HTM

« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 08:56:34 AM by Etienne MacGyver »

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 13, 2014, 08:56:02 AM »
once again, thx for the input, perhaps i should stop using that stuff eventually. all my pcbs are in bubble wrap, never got around being expensive anti-static bags!

There exist also ESD safe mats, which I think I still have one in my attic somewhere.

i've got the feeling that you are going to dig it out ;D 8)

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 13, 2014, 09:02:26 AM »
when I clean out my attic, I hope to find it, but I am not sure if I still got it

anyway, being in the IT business, I have manytime that I receive spare / replacement parts for servers and pc's

all those parts come in these kind of bags, and there was a time I collected all of those, and they are also in some box in the attic, the question is where, I really need to clean out there !  :oops:

muddymusic

• Arcade Art Shop
    • View Profile
    • Arcade Art Shop
« Reply #89 on: February 13, 2014, 09:05:20 AM »
Very lucky indeed you had a spare chip! Last time I turned my board on it just kept resetting and I got really worried it was faulty, luckily it was just a little too high on the +5v line so was fine, but it's the one pcb in my collection I really worry will break.
repro artwork supplier, visit www.arcadeartshop.com