Author Topic: [Superully's Restoration] Bubble Bobble Project - here we go ...  (Read 125156 times)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
Re: Bubble Bobble Project - here we go ...
« Reply #60 on: February 04, 2014, 08:50:58 PM »
man, time flies!!! 2 1/2 years after my last post on this thread, i've decided to re-start my bubble bobble project. hopefully, i'll be able to finish it this time. i'm more than determined!!!

first order of business: get out all the individual pieces from my storage room. everything's a little bit dusty, but still in the state i left it.

i've done a little bit of research and thinking in the meantime, especially when it comes to the controls and since bubble bobble is a taito game and i want to put it in a classic taito cab, it would only be fitting to use taito joysticks as well. unfortunately, most of the games that taito produced use 4- or 8-way joysticks and i don't want to play a game designed for a 2-way stick with a controller that can also be pushed up and down (accidentally). i though i had found a solution to my problem, because a few o the older taito games do use a 2-way joystick, games like stratovox and polaris. here's what such a joystick looks like :arrow:

i already have one of those sticks, but i need a second one because bubble bobble is a two player game. although chances are slim, i thought i could give it a try nevertheless, so if anyone from this forum has either a joystick like that or a control panel with such a stick lying around, i'd gladly take it out of your hands. so please feel free to contact me  :-*
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 12:17:03 PM by Superully »
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 04, 2014, 09:19:21 PM »
Can't see the pic. ???

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 04, 2014, 10:12:48 PM »
Can't see the pic. ???

All three of them or just the first one?
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 04, 2014, 11:09:28 PM »
All pics works here.. Great to se youre going back to this one! - then Andre have something to read again! ;) :D

muddymusic

• Arcade Art Shop
    • View Profile
    • Arcade Art Shop
« Reply #64 on: February 05, 2014, 12:06:27 AM »
Very excited to see what you do with this Ully :)
It always seems very strange that a Taito never made a dedicated cabinet for this game!
repro artwork supplier, visit www.arcadeartshop.com

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 05, 2014, 07:37:28 AM »
Can't see the pic. ???

All three of them or just the first one?

the last 2 dont work here  ???

AusWoody

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 05, 2014, 08:24:21 AM »
Pictures work for me.

It will be had to find a twin for that joystick I think. How about a more readily available 4 or 8 way and make your own restrictor plate similar to the one one your 2 way stick?  This way you will have 2 the same?
Woody

Luigi

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 05, 2014, 08:27:35 AM »
Ully, if you cannot find one, I think I might be able ro reproduce the joystick. We have a complete Stratovox cab (one of my upcoming projecst) which should hold such a joystick.

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 05, 2014, 08:46:23 AM »
Ully, if you cannot find one, I think I might be able ro reproduce the joystick. We have a complete Stratovox cab (one of my upcoming projecst) which should hold such a joystick.

You want to reproduce the entire stick? If you need parts for your stratovox project, just let me know. I have a second one in storage!

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 05, 2014, 12:17:27 PM »
the last 2 dont work here  ???

problem should be fixed now!

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 05, 2014, 12:18:34 PM »
It will be had to find a twin for that joystick I think. How about a more readily available 4 or 8 way and make your own restrictor plate similar to the one one your 2 way stick?  This way you will have 2 the same?

sure i could use another stick, but i'd love to use a taito joystick which was intended to be moved only in two directions. i'm not giving up yet  8)

Luigi

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 05, 2014, 03:22:53 PM »
The only 'problem' could be the actuator, that moves the rolls of the microswitches. It has a cut out shape and bent sides....not sure if the shop I know can do that. We might end up cutting a solid piece of alu with that shape :)

Ully, could you please measure the diameter of the white balltop? Is it screwed to the shaft or glued?

anunaki

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 05, 2014, 03:25:01 PM »
great game, I recently got it myself, it's in my NAC

I really want to get myself a Taito cab too, but I'll make a Elevator action out of it

Tyrem

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • SK GameNatiX
« Reply #73 on: February 05, 2014, 03:26:57 PM »
great game, I recently got it myself, it's in my NAC

I really want to get myself a Taito cab too, but I'll make a Elevator action out of it

Yeah... I am still waiting for my first Taito. I think Qix was a good choice. :)
Looking for Dragons Lair 1 or 2, Space Ace, Double Dragon, Robotron and yeah... a Shinobi would be cool, too!

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 05, 2014, 07:34:02 PM »
Ully, could you please measure the diameter of the white balltop? Is it screwed to the shaft or glued?

according to the manual, it's screwed to the shaft, but i haven't been able to get it off and i didn't want to use extreme force. so your joystick is missing the ball top?