Author Topic: 4 new projects, DK Jr here!  (Read 15335 times)

Andreas_AUT

• hello world
    • View Profile
4 new projects, DK Jr here!
« on: April 03, 2017, 09:00:39 PM »
if I wouldnt have already enough projects...
So, 3 cabs went from germany ( Blackforest warehouse ) to austria.

At the beginning, I just looked for that NeoGeo MVS cab, so I can finally play my MVS cartridges in the big red cab. Well, my little piggyeyes saw a Nintendo DK Jr cab in the background. Long story short, the seller had 2 Nintendo cabs, 1 for sale.

Ok, a dedicated Nintendo cab was already on my list, sometime I will buy one. But, why shouldnt I ask for a package price ( which worked perfect ). I searched for Nintendo cabs in the US market and they are already at about 500,- ( or more, except you find a bargain at craigslist ). Then count the shipping cost onto it and when I compared it to my "offer", I thought that price is already fair.
The seller cut some of the shipping costs to my place too, which was really awesome from him.

A member of an german forum visited the seller, since he lives only 1 hour away from him. I guess they spoke about Joust, you must have nerves of steel when you see that cab. So the seller made an offer for that joust ( he just tried to sell it without losing money ), I saw the advertise and thought - well, a Joust is not a bad game, maybe I should pick that up too? You guess what happened.

Today, they arrived ( and they fit easily into my garage! )

After recycling the bubble wrap and shipping safety stuff, the cabs had to go off that euro pallets and off the garage into open space. Even in my big garage, I could smell that mold which was in the cabs.

State of the cabs:

The NeoGeo has the best condition of them. 1 Backdoor is damaged, I believe a 2nd wooden plate is missing. Technically, I didnt check them because I had no time for that.

2nd place goes to DK Jr.:

Sure, here and there is something to do - the CPO is damaged, speakergrill needs work, rust on that metal plate where the PCB is mounted on and again, that yellow mold. I guess it is mold, its near everywhere across the cabinet - even behind that PCB metal plate.
My father think its from a woodworm, I doubt that. I dont see holes which are normally made from woodworms and as I wrote, this yellow mold is all across the cab.

Place 4 goes to Joust:
Mold, rust, floated wood, PCB has acid dmg, Joysticks are bleached from dust and sunlight. This cabinet has really seen better days, sadly, a loooong time ago!

But I accept that challenge, that cab would not be parted out ( like guys in the US would propably do ). I will definitely restore it. From my first inspection, I have seen I must change 2 wooden plates ( front- backdoor ). I´ll have to do a more detailed inspection the following days.

So, if you ask yourself now " hey wait,  1st, 2nd and 4th place, where is the 3rd one"? Well that will be Missile command, which is definitely in a better condition like Joust, but it has some "artwork" which burns your eyes, you will see  ;D
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 06:15:11 PM by Andreas_AUT »

Pinge

• View Profile
Re: 4 new projects
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 09:34:22 PM »
Really awesome pickups!
But you sure have to spend alot of time and some money to get them back to their fromer glory! :D
- Always looking for Playchoice & Mega-Tech -

Andreas_AUT

• hello world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 04:33:01 PM »
Thx Pinge.

Yeah, I guess you are right. But on the other side, its a hobby ( and a beautifull one  ;D ).

So first, I try to fix that Neo Geo and move it up into my little game room, then its time for the Nintendo. And then, Joust should get his attention ^^.

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 04:36:35 PM »
Nice find, Joust and DK Jr. is very uncommon in Europe.
Hope you can restore them to their former glory. ;)

Pinge

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 05:44:02 PM »
I like to have larger projects aswell, but it feels like the costs always make the cab more expensive in the end than to buy a restored one (for me anyways), but as you state this is our hobby, and I love the feeling of actually learning by doing on the way to finish a project...
Sadly I tend to almost finish them... never really do that last little bit... could be as easy as putting a lock on the backdoor... probably I have some kind of diagnosis...  :lol:

One good thing with more than one project is that there is always something you could work on, I hate to get stuck and wait 2weeks for a part just to find myself stuck again as soon as the peart arrives... guess I have to stock up on loads and loads of parts  ::)

What a nightmare to get stuck on all projects at the same time, then I might have to actually play something instead  :o

Andreas_AUT

• hello world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 09:03:25 PM »
Thx belike, i try to ^^ ( and have too ).

Pinge, this is exactly what im thinking about restorations too.
You try to restore step by step, have to do orders/reproduction whatever and then there is some delay time - this makes me  :twisted:

On the other side, I have so many open projects, even if its only something small like ordering the correct buttons.
Well, I guess I will order some parts like caps, standard IC´s too.  But there are so many other things on my list to buy, like an oszi! ( even if I dont know how to work with it atm ).

Ill keep you updated!

vernimark

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2017, 03:16:32 PM »
Congrats!
NeoGeo cab is not in my style but DKJ and JOUST are great!
If you decide JOUST needs too much work simply contact me, it's the kind of restoration I prefer :*

Anyway please post your restorations!!

Pinge

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2017, 04:23:45 PM »
Congrats!
NeoGeo cab is not in my style but DKJ and JOUST are great!

That was my exactly thought too.
I had an electrocoin big ass of a neogeo cabinet a few years back, nice to play on but i didnt like the apperance of it so I let it go..
I personally dont like NeoGeo with very few exceptions...

Andreas_AUT

• hello world
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2017, 07:31:39 PM »
Well, I have that Sega Mega Tech now ( small tube is working now ), the Neo Geo MVS  so im only missing a Nintendo Playchoice or vs  ;D
I simply like the idea having one dedicated cab where you can choose from different games to play.
And I can dance through the streets now like he does:
https://youtu.be/Q_kGJBv6Wr4

Ok, yesterday I got project number 4:

I think there is no more comment needed for that... colors!
Off course I had to look immediately under that CP. Sadly, someone cut it out to mount buttons and Joystick into it.

Well and I was curios, if there is the original artwork under that paint. I but on some paint remover and yes, you could see the lovely artwork:

Off course the kitty was curious too.

I could easily remove that pink sticker at the marquee and beneath, there was a really nice missile command artwork without any damage.

The conebuttons are not really pretty. And I have to check if the wireharness is still from missile command.

The next picture is from the Nintendo cab, and yes, its mold. So I demolded it with a lot of spray!

I put the cab to the side, dismounted the power supply and demolded the underside of the cab ( there was a lot of mold ).
I checked the cab today and there was only a tiny bit of mold inside the cab, I will get rid of it tomorrow.

And the nintendo cab gets a full time restore. Even if it looks nice at the beginning, I found many rusty parts, screws and so on. It was really hard to put out some nuts because of rust. Tomorrow, I have to use some hard tool but then I will de-rust the parts I can reuse again and order new parts too. I mean I would get angry to myself when I dont do it right from the start - it was a pain to open the marqueecover, so imagine its in your gameroom and the marquee bulb quits shining...

slowcade

• Norway
    • View Profile
    • http://slowcade.blogspot.com/
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2017, 07:39:53 PM »
Wow, those are some nice finds! I wouldn't worry too much about the mold, I have removed worse with bleach/chlorine.  :)
I think you have enough projects for the whole summer now! ;D

Pinge

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2017, 07:52:53 PM »
Who did that to a Missile Command.... may he burn in hell for it.

In the warehouse we have been raiding a few times there is a Missile command control panel, ofc missing the cone buttons but the trackball is there, cant really remember the condition of it... I could check it out when we go there next time... I would say maybe mid June...
Will check through my pictures and see if I can spot it... or maybe you are sorted controlpanel wise?

And if you need marquee-thingy there is one for sale on a "Swedish craigslist"
https://www.blocket.se/stockholm/Flipper__och_arkadspelsglas_72308198.htm?ca=13&w=3
Dont know the price or anything really, it says pricing is 100-1000... would be like 10-100€ for the parts he has.

Talking about Nintendo cabs and the screws.... how is it even possible to make screws so soft and week as the brass-screws Nintendo used on their powersupplies??
I had to cut two of them with an angle grinder.

Andreas_AUT

• hello world
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2017, 08:08:11 PM »
Pinge, I had to cut the screws too with my handsaw. So I could turn them with a big screwdriver.

Thx, my marquee is fine but I really would be interested in the trackball and maybe the whole CP ( if it looks like this one: )

slowcade

• Norway
    • View Profile
    • http://slowcade.blogspot.com/
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2017, 08:16:59 PM »
I also have a Missile Command control panel and board for sale, but I think it would cost a fortune to ship them to you.  >:(

Andreas_AUT

• hello world
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2017, 08:29:52 PM »
I have the board ( even I dont know if it works ), im only missing the CP with the trackball and 1 cone button ( 4 were still there, even in not so good shape ).

Maybe shipping gets cheaper without a pcb? I dont know what norways post office is charging for it, but I got used to some prices from our post office  ;D

muddymusic

• Arcade Art Shop
    • View Profile
    • Arcade Art Shop
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2017, 11:52:57 AM »
repro artwork supplier, visit www.arcadeartshop.com