Author Topic: :: ROAD TRIP :: BUGGY BOY by TATSUMI [presented in triple screen]  (Read 81798 times)

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle

Sunday the 9th of August 2015, 6h30am, somewhere in South Belgium.

My car and myself are ready for a new arcade story…

…but for this new adventure, I’ll also need my beloved trailer, as the new toy won’t fit inside my car :

Oh, and please also welcome –once again- Sam ‘Wonder Boy’, my trusty road trip teammate…

…which had the good idea to bring me new stuff to taste? Ok, what we have here :

Dr Pepper BBQ sauce? Mhhh, nice present but not sure if this gonna be useful for this road trip to come, huh?
What, too spicy for you?  So that’s gonna something I should appreciate then. Anyway, thanks mate!

Back to arcade stuff, and the usual ‘size my trip’ reference picture…

This time, this road trip will bring us in France, thankfully very close from here -as I’m getting old for this kind of things-

See, only 162km from here…

...162 km? yep…almost an offense for a such grail/ sought after cabinet! But hey, we're not going to complain! With more than 60 road trips done since these last 10 years, I’m done with hardcore stuff…I guess?!  :roll:

Engine on… and after less than 10 minutes, we are already in France

…already 2 minutes l8ter, we are in Luxembourg… I love my geographic situation! In no time I have access to the ‘arcade market’ from four different countries (Belgium, France, Luxembourg, Germany)

But what the hell going in Luxembourg this morning? Simple -> cheap fuel (among many other nice things)

All of the road trippers won’t denied that one of the coolest things during a road trip is … the food & the drinks! And even if you are in diet or especially taking care about your health, there’s usually the ‘road trip’ exception/excuse! So how can I resist to get these 'Fricadelles', huh?  :P

Yeah, this is mostly during road trip that I’m buying such stupid ‘gas stations’ drinks, and here’s my today’s choice :

And while I’m buying useless things in that gas station , Sam got stuff from his personal home stock. Dr Pepper again? This man really deserve to be my team mate!

Enough blabla, there’s a game waiting for us in France… but we have to pass over the Belgium again, for a couple of minutes…

… before entering in France!

Nothing special during that short trip… except scoring all these flags on the road …

Arriving at destination… a lot of military stuff around…

Damn, I wouldn’t risk to rush’n’jump over those barriers like this guy?!

Dangerous area for sure…

But I’m not here to play Commando, Rush’n’Attack or any kind of Tank game, I’m here for this lovely Katsuni TASTUMI BUGGY BOY *triple screen* cabinet :

The cabinet is in very nice condition. After a short and quick inspection, the game is playable and you can already see few troubles : one screen is non-working, another one has a missing color problem. There’s also a sound issue (few sounds are missing).

In addition of this great grail game acquisition (holy shit guy, I own a Buggy Boy, like the one I played back in the days….yeah the triple screen one!!!), I’m also extremely happy to be here, at the Jean Christophe’s place because I knew I would play on another exceptional game… this one!

This totally amazing Sega Hang On Limited Edition!
Its condition is totally exceptional! Fully working and perfectly calibrated, it’s a real pleasure to play on and on and on and on (to Coda)

Sam, which is *everything* except a ‘racing games’ guy really enjoyed playing that game too :

I can’t stop playing it! I have to try all the stages/difficulty levels/ musics!

I used to play on the ‘regular red bike’ hang on, but this special edition of the game is far more interesting, with more features such selectable stages, a turbo button…

Woow! I need that game, which is definitively a winner in any game room! Come on, who wouldn’t try to be the best on a such game? Ok, maybe girls wouldn’t try it? But this special edition is so damn rare. I’m not sure I would enjoy so much the regular 'red' one… dunno ... I have to figure out thing...  ::)

Hey, cool, Jean Christophe also owns a Sega Super Monaco GP dedicated! I have nice memories on that game, especially on the Megadrive /Genesis port which is called "Ayrton Senna's Super Monaco GP".

I love the ‘huge picture’ effect due to the lens in front of the screen, and the rumbling/sound effect
But dawn, I didn’t remember the game was so hard…

Another lovely cabinet here, an early version of Galaxian, the one with the original black tmolding (serial 5 hundred and something,..) :

I would be happy to spent more time here, but it’s time for us to leave.
The loading of the Buggy Boy was surprisly quite easy. Yeah, It’s a triple screen cabinet, but equipped with 14” monitors.
The width of the cabinet is 102cm, while the width of my trailer is 105cm… It (fortunately) fits as expected, but I have to pay attention not to scratch the sides :

« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 10:01:55 PM by DarthNuno »

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
:: ROAD TRIP :: BUGGY BOY by TATSUMI [presented in triple screen]
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 05:35:46 PM »
It’s almost 12h30 now… warriors needs Japanese food… badly! ;D

This is one of my favorite restaurant…We use to go here from time to time (one hour from my house), but because we ‘naturally’ are around, and because it’s road trip time, we do not hesitate to stop here!  :P

When chess and beef unites… :P

Ok, in a couple of seconds, a triple screen buggy boy will officially enter in Belgium…what else?  ;)

…and finally arrived @ home. Here’s the road trip details :

…which give : Belgium -> France -> Luxembourg -> Belgium -> France -> Belgium

343 km driven / 7h31 of ‘road trip’ time (fun included  ;))

Let’s unload the beast. This time we will only be two of use to move that cabinet.

As you can see the cabinet is in a really good condition, especially that side  :-*  :arrow:

Ok, the cabinet is now safe inside the Nuno’s Lair. Me happy, me extremely happy. It’s a game I played in the Luna Park during the annual kermess in my village… and it was on that triple screen cabinet version. I also remember playing it with my ass on a dedicated seat. But it seems that no one had that famous seat? (if anyone have it, please contact me!) :?

I’ve never thought I would own that one, as I’ve never ever see it for sale. They are few owners of the Jr version (single screen) , but is there any ‘triple screen’ owners of that cabinet around?
I’ve just missed a Jr, but at end catch ‘the real triple thing one’ so life is good, isn’t it folk?

Stay tuned for full examination of the cabinet and its restoration.  8)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 06:40:39 PM by DarthNuno »

Alpha1

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
Re: :: ROAD TRIP :: BUGGY BOY by TATSUMI [presented in triple screen]
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 07:27:44 PM »
The one game I am officially jealous of!!! Congrats, I used to play an Atari one, I have never seen another.

Arch

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 08:20:59 PM »
Ehrmagawd. Buggy Boy. I'm speechless.  :shock:

Congrats and hats off to you, DarthNuno. If anybody was ever destined to pick up this rare game, it was you (or Alpha1). Please post more pics when you get it up and running.

Just curious, how does the three-screen-principle work? Does it require a special board, or does it use the same board as the JR?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 08:31:06 PM by Arch »
All I wanted was a Pepsi!
Currently looking for an original Wonderboy PCB.

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 08:50:52 PM »
Never played the arcade version but three-screen (racing) games = awesome :)

Almost forgot that this was a licensed game from Atari and that it was originally Tatsumi.....not a very common name :)

Also great to see yet another Galaxian with a low serial nr. in Europe....once again proof of my feeling that the first batch was shipped here.... :)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 09:45:39 PM by Level42 »

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 09:51:08 PM »
I'll take a max of pictures inside/outside of the game.
That's gonna be a great machine to learn/discover due to the hardware specificities (triple screen)  :)

muddymusic

• Arcade Art Shop
    • View Profile
    • Arcade Art Shop
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2015, 09:07:32 AM »
A fantastic game and super rare cabinet!
repro artwork supplier, visit www.arcadeartshop.com

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2015, 09:31:17 AM »
Seems like you enjoyed every minute of this trip, well done. :D
That Hang-On rocks. :spaceace:

Laszo

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Building
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2015, 09:44:32 AM »
Great roadtrip, always love the arcade effects in your pictures 😄

jcp

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2015, 06:21:20 PM »
It looks like an easy roadtrip as you said (the easiest are not the worst too ;) ).
Well, I hope you will enjoy the true Buggy Boy experience (nothing to say about the economic / cheap Buggy Boy Jr. version) : it's such an ahead game for its time.
Otherwise, that game will really shine in your gameroom : I already see the adequate lights on it !

See you Bruno.

Digimon

• Germany - Hamburg
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2015, 07:36:19 PM »
great game!! I am jealous :roll:

and a great story!

congrats
Searching Zaccaria Stuff: Zaxxon CPO, JumpBug CPO or CPO Repro
next project: assemble Zaccaria Vanguard.

vernimark

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2015, 08:43:43 PM »
 :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:

spectroman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2015, 10:33:00 PM »
I've taken the "cheap version" last saturday and I'm very happy.

nice catch bruno  :)

xadhoom

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2015, 10:52:33 PM »
Yeah! You got it!
Hope to come and get the condor ;-)

Q*ris

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • CAP'TAIIIN ARCADE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2015, 11:11:56 AM »
I was missing the Bruno style road trip reports :)
Great one and cool game too!
 :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace: