Author Topic: From Truxton II (to) Pleiads  (Read 136175 times)

vib_ribbon

• View Profile
Re: From Truxton II (to) Pleiads
« Reply #75 on: March 13, 2009, 04:45:33 PM »

what do you guys think? doesn't it look great?

that's incredible, like magic!

i learn so much stuff through reading other people's restoration projects it's amazing. that's some good skills there. are those liquid resin thingies expensive?? i'm really surprised how clear it is once it's been polished up and left to dry.

amazing!

:spaceace:

vib_ribbon

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 13, 2009, 04:50:23 PM »
sorry, may i also make this assumption from the photo with the cats... because there's so much DHL tape on the box, that they have opened it up for inspection??

lovely cats by the way. i love myself a cat.  :'(

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 13, 2009, 05:01:19 PM »
are those liquid resin thingies expensive??

nope, the cast resin costs €5,50 (for a quarter of a litre - and that's A LOT), the polish €4,25.

i've bought my stuff here http://www.aura-shop.de/giessharz.htm, but you can also get it from other locations!
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 13, 2009, 05:03:03 PM »
sorry, may i also make this assumption from the photo with the cats... because there's so much DHL tape on the box, that they have opened it up for inspection??

lovely cats by the way. i love myself a cat.  :'(

don't think that it has been opened, that's the way bruno packed it  ;) as for the cats: thanks a lot, they indeed are LOVELY!!!
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

vib_ribbon

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 13, 2009, 05:29:23 PM »
i only did german for 1 year in school when i was 12.  :'( :'(

i did french for 5 years between 11 and 16.  :-\ :-\

thanks for the link.

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #80 on: March 15, 2009, 05:59:36 PM »
WOOOWW  :o :o :o  :arrow:

What an amazing job :o  ... and a great 'how to do' post   :-*

Congratulation  :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 15, 2009, 06:08:26 PM »
What an amazing job :o  ... and a great 'how to do' post   :-*

thx bruno! i wasn't sure how this would turn out exactly, but i'm still fascinated by the result. the only thing left to do is cover the areas where the black is missing. on your "space invaders ii restoration" you've used black foil from the car industry. i'm not sure whether this will do the trick, i'm thinking in the "glass colour direction", but i have to do some research on colours first.

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #82 on: March 15, 2009, 06:13:18 PM »
...the only thing left to do is cover the areas where the black is missing. on your "space invaders ii restoration" you've used black foil from the car industry. i'm not sure whether this will do the trick, i'm thinking in the "glass colour direction", but i have to do some research on colours first.

Before using black foil, I've done a lot of 'painting' experiences, but it's very difficult to find a color to paint glass... I wasn't able to find one. But because the 'rebuild' corners are not glass... maybe you can paint it with a common paint?

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 15, 2009, 06:21:59 PM »

well then, in between all those cosmetic surgeries i shouldn't forget that there is a game waiting to be played at some point in the future. that's why i'm turning to the wiring of the cab now (but don't worry, the cosmetic operations will continue nevertheless).

as i've said before, i've never wired a cab and i'm not an electronic expert (mildly speaking). that's why there are MANY QUESTIONS coming up.

the first thing i've done is take the pleaids wiring schematics and colour the corresponding wires to make things easier. here's how this looks:

i will start with some simple (?) questions first:

(1) where do the "dc power supply outputs" go to (connect to WHERE)?
(2) could someone give me a short (but understandable) introduction what the function of those +5v (green), -5v (orange), +12v (red) and 0v (grey, blue on the coin door connector, turquoise) wires are? why the different voltages, why PLUS and MINUS and ZERO volts?

that's enough for now, more questions to follow - PROMISE  ;)

funkycochise

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 15, 2009, 08:06:19 PM »
All tou need to have is to get a power supply (maybe you already have one in your cab).
Then link the différente voltages, including the ground (GND or 0V, it's the same thing, it's a reference).
Seems that you don't have electricity basic knwoledges.  :'(

Why all those different values ? Because the chips of your pcb may need one of these voltage in order to work.
usually +5 VDC. +12V and -5V are often used for audio amplificators.
You may not really need -5V as all power supply doesn't output this kind of voltage.
If your schematic is correct, -5V is only for the coin door/coin mech.

If I was you, I would only link 5 and 12 to the cpu connector. (and GND of course) and leave the coin door connector alone for the moment.

I hope it helps

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 15, 2009, 09:26:26 PM »
All tou need to have is to get a power supply (maybe you already have one in your cab).
Then link the différente voltages, including the ground (GND or 0V, it's the same thing, it's a reference).
Seems that you don't have electricity basic knwoledges.  :'(

Why all those different values ? Because the chips of your pcb may need one of these voltage in order to work.
usually +5 VDC. +12V and -5V are often used for audio amplificators.
You may not really need -5V as all power supply doesn't output this kind of voltage.
If your schematic is correct, -5V is only for the coin door/coin mech.

If I was you, I would only link 5 and 12 to the cpu connector. (and GND of course) and leave the coin door connector alone for the moment.

thx a lot, and unfortunately you're absolutely right, my basic eletronic knowledge isn't THAT HUGE  ;), but what better place to start than here? i'm absolutely willing to learn, but as you can see i need your support.

i do have a power supply installed in my cab already, it's a hantarex us 250. where can i find out what kind of voltage my pcb needs? and even more important: where do i link the power supply outputs to exactly? is there some kind of manual on the internet where i can learn something about basic voltage / wiring knowledge?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 09:47:20 PM by Superully »

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 15, 2009, 09:55:05 PM »
here's the wiring situation within the cab at the moment:

- the power supply

1 = pcb connector
2 = monitor connector
3 = marquee lights connector
4 = main interlock switch
5 = power cord

- the monitor

A = monitor output connector (rgb, horizontal and vertical sync, ground)
B = remote control board
C = monitor power supply

italiandoh

• Italy
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 16, 2009, 10:07:40 AM »
Look at each side of the supply facing the connectors, the pinouts of each one should be written there on a sticker.

Matteo

here's the wiring situation within the cab at the moment:

- the power supply

1 = pcb connector
2 = monitor connector
3 = marquee lights connector
4 = main interlock switch
5 = power cord

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 16, 2009, 10:44:25 AM »
Look at each side of the supply facing the connectors, the pinouts of each one should be written there on a sticker.

yes, they are. look at the following pictures  :arrow:

plugging in the correct molex pins shouldn't be a problem  :-[, but (sorry for being stupid) my questions still remain:

- WHAT TO DO WITH THOSE DC POWER SUPPLY OUTPUTS???
- WHERE TO CONNECT THEM TO???

these are no molex pins which i can plug into a molex connector  :arrow:

funkycochise

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 16, 2009, 11:30:00 AM »
if you don't want to directly solder your connection, and I would advice you to not do it,
you may need the missing molex connectors.

http://www.starcab.net/product_info.php?cPath=90_229_120&products_id=747