Author Topic: [Superully's Restoration] Radar Scope - Damage Meter to Zero  (Read 54995 times)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
Re: [Superully's Restoration] Radar Scope - Damage Meter to Zero
« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2014, 08:04:25 PM »

before working on the sides, i need to fix the "interior" because there are also a lot of holes and scratches to be filled

marked the holes that don't have to be filled with a sharpie

after rolling on a few layers of black paint, sanding, spraying on a few layers of black paint, sanding and finally protecting it with a few layers of clear paint, we have a pretty nice result

now on to the sides: i've fixed all the major damages to the cab, but there are still a few tiny dings all over the sides which need to be filled, otherwise they will show through the vinyl. in order to do so, i've bought two new products which should help me: woodfiller. one is stainable, the other one isn't and since i couldn't decide which one to take, i simply ordered both  :P

also bought some new tools to get the woodfiller on as flat as possible without wasting too much of it

all the tiny bumps filled, but i'm still not 100 per cent sure whether that stuff is good or not, because it doesn't seem to adhere to the wood perfectly. will try the other version on the other side though ...

after sanding everything smooth, here's where we stand

because in some spaces the bare wood shines through and because i want to get an even smoother finish for the vinyl, i'll be applying a few coats of red paint. this will also prohibit the wood from "shining through", because the vinyl is pretty thin!

hell yeah, this is BROWN eh RED  ;D

first coat done! already looking pretty good, but you can still see a few of my repair efforts through the paint

three coats later, i'm convinced it's enough red for today 8). as you can see, i still need to paint the base, but i'll be doing that later!

up next: light sanding for a smooth surface, than the other side of the cab and VINYL TIME after that - can't wait :)
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2014, 09:06:06 AM »
Great !

I guess you know it already, the better prep work you do, the better the end result is.

I remember putting the vinyl on Andre's Mrs pac, that was also super thin material..

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2014, 09:56:42 AM »
SPACE ACE, a true Superduper SuperUlly restoration job, very nice.

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2014, 10:13:39 AM »
thx guys, prep work sometimes sucks because just when you think you're finished and go over the cabinet one last time, you realize you forgot to sand something down in a corner or you find another spot you forgot to fill. but in the end good prep work really pays off!!!
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

johnsarcade

• Mushroom Kingdom, USA
    • View Profile
    • John's Arcade
« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2014, 11:10:20 PM »
Dude, you are a mad man!!!  :o :o :o :o :o Wet sand that shit, I see orange peel. :)

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 17, 2014, 07:21:44 AM »
Dude, you are a mad man!!!  :o :o :o :o :o Wet sand that shit, I see orange peel. :)

You should checkout his jungle king thread, thats insane  ;D and i love it !

https://www.dragonslairfans.com/smfor/index.php?topic=1843.0

Collecting in europe is way different than in the us john remember that.

Sure its easier now with those containers, but still, no container is the way to go if you ask me  8)

Tyrem

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • SK GameNatiX
« Reply #51 on: November 17, 2014, 09:53:04 AM »
Dude, you are a mad man!!!  :o :o :o :o :o Wet sand that shit, I see orange peel. :)

You should checkout his jungle king thread, thats insane  ;D and i love it !

i will check his Jungle King instead. ;)
Looking for Dragons Lair 1 or 2, Space Ace, Double Dragon, Robotron and yeah... a Shinobi would be cool, too!

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 17, 2014, 01:33:03 PM »
Dude, you are a mad man!!!

says the guy who painted sanded painted sanded painted sanded a thousand times and filmed it ;). but coming from you i'll take it as a compliment!

Wet sand that shit, I see orange peel. :)

no wet sanding, just light sanding with the orbital sander, because i'll be applying vinyl on top. orange peel won't be an issue then!

bitbitplus

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 20, 2014, 03:34:32 PM »
Wow Ully, that is a fine looking project you got going on there!
You're doing a great job saving that cab.

Keep up the good work and keep posting pictures.

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 21, 2014, 06:37:51 PM »

time to paint the black parts!

look how shiny it is now 8) - metal identification plaque re-installed as well

and while i'm at it, i can also repaint the base

unfortunately, i had forgotten to take a "before picture", but believe me when i say that the base was basically toast. not anymore i would say ... :)

with the black parts being done, i can turn my attention to the other side of the cabinet where i'm going to use the second type of woodfiller i got

hmmm, really not happy with that stuff it all. it is way too rough and doesn't adhere to the wood very well >:(

another lesson learned: i won't be using this product anymore! so the search continues for a fine smooth woodfiller which is easy to apply and fills the tiniest of holes. if anyone has a suggestion, please let me know :-*. after sanding that crappy stuff off, i used my usual 2k-stuff for a nice smooth surface!

right side ready for vinyl as well ...

... but before i start with that, i have to put the missing cabinet pieces back

this is starting to look like a pretty nice nintendo cabinet again :)

tomorrow: VINYL TIME!!! :ghost:

synonym9

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 22, 2014, 02:14:00 AM »
By the way,  by now you surely must get bulk discount on bondo,  don't you?   ;D

well, in fact in already make bulk buys on that stuff, although it is still quite pricey. but once again you can see / feel the difference between cheap and expensive!

Because you have not the smallest idea how to use that material, sorry to say!  :roll:

What you do looks like you garnish wood with whipped cream like cake, like here for example:

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3954/15733403145_9f8040849a_b_d.jpg

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8644/15748936302_a6a757b19a_b_d.jpg

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3941/15748935822_0d567dc56c_b_d.jpg

The term "filling" gives it away, you are supposed to fill the holes, not to perform stucco work.

Usually of 100% of bondo you sand away 10% or less.....you keep 10% and sand away 90% (very environmental-friendly) and still have waves and holes in the surfaces how you can see here:

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3938/15581522919_40bbf76032_b_d.jpg

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5598/15733400135_df206658fd_b_d.jpg

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3950/15731481621_81e3f511e8_b_d.jpg

Watch some filling tutorials and you will save lots of money on filler.

And now the pack can lynch me  ;D ;D ;D

I have a dream....that one day....all members of forum are the same....no matter how long ago they have joined, how many games they own or how many posts they wrote ;)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 22, 2014, 08:16:02 AM »
and you JERK OF THE CENTURY don't have the slightest idea how to display pictures :P

Tyrem

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • SK GameNatiX
« Reply #57 on: November 22, 2014, 08:45:32 AM »

Because you have not the smallest idea how to use that material, sorry to say!  :roll:

lol... man. lol.
I own one or two cabs from Superully and the look like they just came out of the factory. Trust me: He knows how to do restaurations and even if this may not be the most sophisticated way to use bondo... the result is a freakin blast.
I am in the process of fixing my Gorf and while i am doing that i find out every day what a genius Superully is when it comes down to arcade restaurations. If I had to pick somebody to fix my cab it would probably him (he is a teacher... he has plenty of time! ;) ).

I guess no matter how hard you try to push your posting-counter to increase your reputation... it is stuff like this that will make you the talk of the town at every arcade meeting in europe.
Looking for Dragons Lair 1 or 2, Space Ace, Double Dragon, Robotron and yeah... a Shinobi would be cool, too!

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 22, 2014, 08:58:31 AM »
thx for coming to my defense, stefan 8). you should hear that JERK talk about us over on the UK forum ...

Tyrem

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • SK GameNatiX
« Reply #59 on: November 22, 2014, 09:07:17 AM »
thx for coming to my defense, stefan 8). you should hear that JERK talk about us over on the UK forum ...

show me :D