Author Topic: Just got my new glass marquee for R-Type from ThisOldGame  (Read 13275 times)

Tyrem

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • SK GameNatiX
Just got my new glass marquee for R-Type from ThisOldGame
« on: May 05, 2014, 01:50:36 PM »
and boooooy... this is fantastic. What an amazing quality. And it is printed on glass unlike the original one that was on plastic.

It may take a bit longer till ThisOldGame is sending stuff out but it is worth waiting every second!

Looking for Dragons Lair 1 or 2, Space Ace, Double Dragon, Robotron and yeah... a Shinobi would be cool, too!

Luigi

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
Re: Just got my new glass marquee for R-Type from ThisOldGame
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 08:32:40 AM »
Yeah, Rich is doing a great job. Though I found out yesterday that the Journey CPO has some faults. It seems that the person who painted/drew it lost it's passion in the upper left corner ;)

Tyrem

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • SK GameNatiX
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 10:44:34 AM »
Yeah, Rich is doing a great job. Though I found out yesterday that the Journey CPO has some faults. It seems that the person who painted/drew it lost it's passion in the upper left corner ;)

i think i know the problem. he did not finish the lightsources, right?
that´s a shame. by the way... how is this project going. i remember having the cab here for a little while. ;)
Looking for Dragons Lair 1 or 2, Space Ace, Double Dragon, Robotron and yeah... a Shinobi would be cool, too!

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 12:30:15 PM »

hmm i wonder what John's thoughts are  ::)

Tyrem

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • SK GameNatiX
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 01:07:11 PM »

hmm i wonder what John's thoughts are  ::)

hehe... i bet he will let us know. :)

Luigi

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 02:32:07 PM »
Right. In the upper left corner there are no highlights. How come you know it? Did you compare it when it was in your shop?

You guys seem to know more about it than me....what's the story behind it? Who's John?   ??? :)

I'm reassembling the cab. Woodwork is finished but I have to paint the parts of the sides where I sanded down the Ponal Duo. Couldn't find the correct colour yet.
Right now I'm dealing with this lose metal bar that held the monitor (I wonder how it did that in the past). Think I know how it is supposed to be installed.

I will do a blog about the resto once I'm finished :)

anunaki

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2014, 02:40:38 PM »
John is the guy from John's Arcade and the Arcade Outsiders Podcast. He's restoring a Journey cab as well

Luigi

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2014, 02:44:31 PM »
Ah yes, I know him and of course I follow his resto thread. tbh...he could speak a little less loud in his videos. I always go like 'who is he shouting at?'  ;D
But I saw in his video how my monitor bar should be installed...that helped ;)

To be honest...I'm not sure if I will install this CPO from TOG. There's simply too much imperfections.

I've taken some photos: LINK to Gallery

At first I thought mine would be the only one with those errors but the picture on his homepage is the same.

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2014, 02:48:33 PM »
ouch, looks like a crappy reproduction. someone must have drawn this while being drunk. have you told rich about it?
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Luigi

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2014, 02:50:07 PM »
ouch, looks like a crappy reproduction. someone must have drawn this while being drunk. have you told rich about it?

Not yet, I'm sure he will already know.

The more I look at it the more I know I will not put it on the panel.  :'(

Tyrem

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • SK GameNatiX
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2014, 03:14:52 PM »

Not yet, I'm sure he will already know.

The more I look at it the more I know I will not put it on the panel.  :'(

holy... i do understand you, mate. this is a bit too much for me, too.
damn... i am not sure if Rich knows. Usually he has very high standards for his stuff.

Are there any alternatives for this cpo?

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2014, 03:24:42 PM »
damn... i am not sure if Rich knows. Usually he has very high standards for his stuff.

agreed, but it seems that he got tangled up in too many projects over the last few years. some stuff is taking FOREVER (e.g. the star wars cockpit sideart), messages are lost / remain unreplied, ...

i'm afraid he's trying to do too many things at the same time and therefore stuff like the crappy journey cpo slip through!
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Luigi

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2014, 04:09:30 PM »
Thanks guys, I already started to think I'm too anal about this :)

btw...John has no original CPO to compare so he won't even notice the flaws  ;)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2014, 04:57:46 PM »
Ah yes, I know him and of course I follow his resto thread. tbh...he could speak a little less loud in his videos. I always go like 'who is he shouting at?'  ;D
Better not listen to his Arcadeoutsiders podcast then :p

johnsarcade

• Mushroom Kingdom, USA
    • View Profile
    • John's Arcade
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2014, 05:33:01 PM »
Here I am!

Wow, you sure that CPO is from Rich? Is that the silkscreened version? I'm shocked how different that really is. I know Prok at Gamestencils did the artwork/vectorizing. His standards area also very high.

I'll be getting my Journey artwork package in the next week here. I'll let you know if mine is any different than what you are showing.

And, yes... I LIKE TO YELL!!!

hahah

John