Author Topic: YIHAAAAAAA, I AM THE KING OF KONG !!! (On the Atari 8 bit platform)  (Read 79385 times)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
Re: YIHAAAAAAA, I AM THE KING OF KONG !!! (On the Atari 8 bit platform)
« Reply #105 on: May 01, 2014, 08:55:51 PM »
http://www.atarimagazines.com/compute/issue70/070_2_Reviews_Atari_XM301_Modem.php

So uhmmmmm just as an excuse to "stay on topic": what was your hi-score BITD on DK John ?

Did you know I especially got a NTSC 800 XL for reaching the world record ? I wanted the faster speed of the NTSC version so there would be no discussion about my record. I had to get used to it first for sure, makes timing really different. Now, I actually think I'll use the NTSC machine for playing games more. The PAL machines will remain best for European demo's and games.

I swapped a PAL one with a British guy in the US (found him through atariage.com forum) who wanted a PAL version to run Dropzone at it's native speed.

I have a bunch of A8's now: 600XL, 800XL NTSC, 800 PAL (those are RARE), 130XE, XEGS and one and a half defective XE's, one of them the Euro-only 800XE.

johnsarcade

• Mushroom Kingdom, USA
    • View Profile
    • John's Arcade
« Reply #106 on: May 02, 2014, 06:00:45 PM »
http://www.atarimagazines.com/compute/issue70/070_2_Reviews_Atari_XM301_Modem.php

So uhmmmmm just as an excuse to "stay on topic": what was your hi-score BITD on DK John ?

Did you know I especially got a NTSC 800 XL for reaching the world record ? I wanted the faster speed of the NTSC version so there would be no discussion about my record. I had to get used to it first for sure, makes timing really different. Now, I actually think I'll use the NTSC machine for playing games more. The PAL machines will remain best for European demo's and games.

I swapped a PAL one with a British guy in the US (found him through atariage.com forum) who wanted a PAL version to run Dropzone at it's native speed.

I have a bunch of A8's now: 600XL, 800XL NTSC, 800 PAL (those are RARE), 130XE, XEGS and one and a half defective XE's, one of them the Euro-only 800XE.

I have no idea what my high-score is. I'm gonna play more once I get a new joystick or fix mine. Game is cool!

Dude! You have a lot Atari computers! :) LOL! Interesting about the speed of the game with the PAL version.

johnsarcade

• Mushroom Kingdom, USA
    • View Profile
    • John's Arcade
« Reply #107 on: May 07, 2014, 10:25:32 PM »
Hey, I got my 800XL connected to some BBSes. It works in 2014!!

Check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sor4tqrEywo

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #108 on: September 21, 2014, 11:24:35 PM »
Awesome John, that brigns back some memories ! :)

In the big box of stuff my aunt sent me from the US, there was also this.....

A still shrink-wrapped Donkey Kong cartridge for the Atari 8 bit homecomputers.

The box is insanely big (much bigger than 2600 game boxes) while the cartridge is way smaller than the 2600 one's.

This is exactly how I bought my DK BITD and I just felt the need to have this :D

I won't open it, I already have two cartridges and copies on floppy. Shame that I can't see the booklet now though, it's nice.

I really like the artwork on this and also the home-style that Atari used then....the silver with the stripes...it looked so futuristic in those days...The ATARI name in gradient colors is great too. Shame they didn't use the logo that much in those days though.

I'd love to start collecting these series of A8 games. Just these big boxes and this style...would be awesome :) Oh noooo, not more collecting ! :D

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #109 on: September 21, 2014, 11:26:11 PM »
Backside. For a change, all the text on here is actually true !!!

Receiving this also makes me want to make my WR (even more) official. I really need to video an actual game where I beat the world record on a NTSC machine...
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 11:30:06 PM by Level42 »

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #110 on: September 22, 2014, 06:20:55 PM »
Hah, I also posted these pics on "Atarimuseum" on Facebook and Marty Goldberg (one of the co-writers of the book Atari Business is fun) replied that I should get the shrink-wrap off ASAP because it was damaging the box (reminds me of another thread here ;)) already AND that they originally did not come shrink wrapped but that retailers did that to prevent theft of the cartridges..........so.....this means that I can remove it and have a peek inside without being worried about the "value" ;);)

johnsarcade

• Mushroom Kingdom, USA
    • View Profile
    • John's Arcade
« Reply #111 on: October 21, 2014, 05:34:54 PM »
Hah, I also posted these pics on "Atarimuseum" on Facebook and Marty Goldberg (one of the co-writers of the book Atari Business is fun) replied that I should get the shrink-wrap off ASAP because it was damaging the box (reminds me of another thread here ;)) already AND that they originally did not come shrink wrapped but that retailers did that to prevent theft of the cartridges..........so.....this means that I can remove it and have a peek inside without being worried about the "value" ;);)

Awesome! I need to get me a boxed version of that game!

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #112 on: October 21, 2014, 09:42:12 PM »
Woohaa......Look who just posted something about my DK high score on the Atari Museum Facebook page.....

How awesome is it to read that from the man who created this brilliant conversion ?!!

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #113 on: December 20, 2015, 06:08:05 PM »
I very much feel like finally officially breaking the world record this x-mas holiday.

Already dug up my NTSC 800 XL.....need to get back into shape first :)

Q*ris

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • CAP'TAIIIN ARCADE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 21, 2015, 12:39:20 AM »
YES, GO GO GOoooooooooo!!!!

Laszo

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Building
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 21, 2015, 05:41:04 PM »
Go go go