Author Topic: YIHAAAAAAA, I AM THE KING OF KONG !!! (On the Atari 8 bit platform)  (Read 79710 times)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
Re: YIHAAAAAAA, I AM THE KING OF KONG !!! (On the Atari 8 bit platform)
« Reply #75 on: January 26, 2014, 10:28:10 PM »
P.S. The Atari 800 is hooked up with the composite video signal. The S-Video (Luma/Chroma) would produce a much better picture still but I don't have an adapter for that from RCA to SCART.

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 26, 2014, 11:58:05 PM »
Congratulations. Again.  :spaceace:

Must have been the TV set which give you this extra skill.  :D  ;)

And no, please don't follow Steve Wiebe's training method, writing the parcours on the screen with a (permanent) marker.  :o  :wink:

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #77 on: January 27, 2014, 12:11:25 AM »
Well, funny you should say that because I was actually thinking after finishing that game: yes, this bigger screen really DOES make playing easier. The reason is you simply see everything bigger so it's easier to judge distances (edges etc.) for jumping etc. and also, getting older, the eyes really like BIG :)

One thing I'm not too crazy about with this TV is that it is slanted backwards. this may have been nice when it was put on a (low) table for viewing, or maybe even on the ground (?) but it's not that great when it's on a desk or dinner table height. Of course you can put something under it on the backside to lift it...
and on the other side, almost every CRT monitor I have used on my desk I had to raise because I don't like to have to look down (bad for the neck) all the time either ;) That IS good on this TV, the speakers are under the screen so it is at a nice viewing height right away.

Don't worry, there is actually no need for the permanent markers :)  The way the springs work is a little bit different on the A8, yes there are still differences in distances between them, but I _think_ none of these distance is lethal.......as long as you time your climb up the last ladder JUST right :)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 12:14:45 AM by Level42 »

Laszo

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Building
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 27, 2014, 09:27:34 AM »
Oh man, that's a job well done. I can not even win from my 9 year old  :roll:

anunaki

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 27, 2014, 09:46:42 AM »
nice

I still have that TV (the MX4000 like this one) that you asked for at nozomi, but you never answered my PM about it

If you're still interested you could check this one if it works without the remote.

I'll vote for you ofcourse :spaceace: :spaceace:

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 27, 2014, 09:55:06 AM »
Voted ;)

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 27, 2014, 05:01:36 PM »
Did not vote yet.  :-[ Forgot my password and the High Score website doesn't send a password-recovery e-mail.

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #82 on: January 27, 2014, 06:16:06 PM »
nice

I still have that TV (the MX4000 like this one) that you asked for at nozomi, but you never answered my PM about it

If you're still interested you could check this one if it works without the remote.

I'll vote for you ofcourse :spaceace: :spaceace:
Oops, sorry Patrick...I just visit Nozomi not so often ! :)

As far as I can see the remote is pretty much essential to operate it, in fact I haven't discovered any buttons on the TV itself yet (but I haven't looked for them either).
Already I had to change some settings for the SCART input to get the Atari running so sorry for now I will look into some other options Patrick.

anunaki

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 27, 2014, 07:20:48 PM »
Ok np

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #84 on: January 27, 2014, 07:54:48 PM »
Actually, I just checked the TV and I can't find any button at all ?!?!? Is that right or are they hidden somewhere ??

About the picture: it's good, but I'd not call it extraordinary. Basically this is just a Philips TV with some tweaks. One of them is an old trick: a smoked glass in front of the screen. This has advantages and disadvantages. Advantage is nice blacks, disadvantage are reflections from lights in room, and I'm really not keen on that part of it.

I still have some hope to find a 20" PVM  ;D

anunaki

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 28, 2014, 08:02:03 AM »
well, I haven't seen the one you have there, but I do have 2 of them myself (one is the bigger MX7000) and I think the image is really great when you use them on RGB mode with ie a SNES or MD

and the sound of the 7000 is brilliant even using it with a NES

Serious

• View Profile
    • High Score
« Reply #86 on: February 05, 2014, 04:01:07 PM »
Did not vote yet.  :-[ Forgot my password and the High Score website doesn't send a password-recovery e-mail.

Hi ckong. I'm the webmaster at highscore.com.

I've just emailed you your password.

Sorry there isn't a recovery option, yet. It is definitely on my todo list.

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #87 on: February 05, 2014, 08:19:32 PM »
@Anunaki: I bet it's a lot better in RGB. In fact, I hooked up the 800 XL (PAL) that will be going to the US and that produces a lot better picture compared tot the 800 NTSC. And indeed the sound is awesome, even although this is "just" a MX4000.

My personal preference is hooking the sound up to a proper audio amplifier with hi-fi speakers (no, not a measly computer speaker set) like I did BITD :) The base of the Atari 8 bit machines is AWESOME and something I never heard from a SID ;)

@Serious: Welcome here !!! And thanks for adjusting everything for me. I still want to do a proper day of DK high-scoring and video all of it so we will have a final and doubtless world record. For this, I agreed to trade a PAL 800 XL with a NTSC one so I can play it at full speed on my own machine instead of the borrowed 800.

Also: really like the www.highscore.com site and concept. For me it's the new Twingalaxies !

Serious

• View Profile
    • High Score
« Reply #88 on: February 05, 2014, 09:43:41 PM »
@Serious: Welcome here !!! And thanks for adjusting everything for me. I still want to do a proper day of DK high-scoring and video all of it so we will have a final and doubtless world record. For this, I agreed to trade a PAL 800 XL with a NTSC one so I can play it at full speed on my own machine instead of the borrowed 800.

Also: really like the www.highscore.com site and concept. For me it's the new Twingalaxies !

Thanks very much! Building highscore.com is something that I have wanted to do for a long time, so it is exciting for me to see how fast it is growing and how word is spreading.

Someone from Guinness World Records started following @HighScore on Twitter recently, and your score is one of the ones I thought of when that happened. That's when I noticed the issue with the photo links and fixed them.

Always feel free to let me know if you need help with anything. You have my email now.

Glad to be a member of this forum, now, as well!  :)

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 05, 2014, 11:43:41 PM »

Hi ckong. I'm the webmaster at highscore.com.

I've just emailed you your password.

Sorry there isn't a recovery option, yet. It is definitely on my todo list.

Thanks, I finally was able to vote, YES of course.  ;D