Author Topic: Decision help needed  (Read 20370 times)

PunkRockCaveman

• View Profile
Decision help needed
« on: January 27, 2012, 01:02:07 AM »
Hi guys!

I need your help. I don't know what to do ... got my hands on a Nintendo Space Firebird upright! Now that's a very rare cab and I could get it swaped for a generic mame cab. Till now everything is perfect. Usually this is a no brainer. I'd go for it! But then came the pictures. See below ... the condition is pretty bad. Control panel is pretty f... up. Two buttons missing (swaped with stupid generic buttons), stick is an 8-way. PCB is Rock 'n Rope :( ... sidearts missing, marquee missing. This has to go through a major restauration. At least the monitor seems to be the original Sanyo. What to do? Go for it and save this rare classic, even if it might take years to get all the parts or leave it behind??? I'm thankful for any hint ... I'm pretty mixed up.

cheers, prc

PunkRockCaveman

• View Profile
Re: Decision help needed
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 01:03:00 AM »
... more pics.

PunkRockCaveman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 01:03:58 AM »
... last set.

PaulSwan

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • ZZZ
    • View Profile
    • The Zaccaria WWW Site
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 01:36:25 AM »
Not that major a restoration - at least the CP hasn't been drilled all that much. The side art will be the hardest to get probably, but with a SF PCB re-wired in it's be back to SF. Seen much worse ;)
Paul.
ZZZ

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 06:41:20 AM »
i would if i were you.

i mean, a generic mame cab is not a big deal compared to a real ninty.
especially in europe..
the coindoor only is worth more than a generic mamecab  ;D
generic mamecabs are easy to find here

sidearts will be difficult, but many time the cab will be between others and then you dont see that.
and if there is a source, we can repro it  ;)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 06:59:39 AM »
Don't call that a ninty please .....

PunkRock....you are a sensible guy, look in your heart and you know what to do.......GET IT !!!!!!

Man, Nintendo cabs are rare by itself but this early style red cabs are even MUCH more rare. Honestly, I'd get it for the collectors value, its cool to have an early Nintendo. Not to sure about the gameplay but who cares. It looks decent enough to me. There are (sometimes) ways to get those burn marks fixed on the CPO. Side art is a bit hard indeed but you can live without it. Ifyou cant find a PCB you can still dedicated MAME it...

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 07:02:25 AM »
By the way, the serial plate shows -GM which I am sure stands for Germany. It is also mentioning 220Volts and not 240 as the UK one's, so this was meant for, and spent its entire live in Germany. Think its the first time I see that...

PunkRockCaveman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2012, 07:20:35 AM »
Thanks guys. I will take it then ... Might take some time to get it back to its original beauty but it will be definitely worth it. The plate shows also the serial, which is 00084  :o so this seems to be a very early model. That guy got it for a gift from an old man who used to deal with cabs. He got a mint DK too!!!! The old guy had to leave the house (if I got that right) and gave the two cabs away for helping. Insane ... The receiver wanted to Mame that SF. That's when I wrote him a mail begging on my knees to keep his hands off that SF, my offer was to swap it with a generic cab with Mame installed. I think I made the right decision ;)

kroustibat

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Pascal-O-Rama
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 08:27:16 AM »
as other said, a generic cab value is peanuts regarding a Nintendo cab, I'd not hesitate !

AusWoody

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2012, 08:36:51 AM »
Great call. Very nice piece of arcade history there.

Generic Mame cab....Not so much.

For me, a lot of the fun of having these cabs is hunting for the parts, collecting them and then BAM, original restored cab :)
Woody

liquidx

• Bruxhell, Belgium
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2012, 08:37:38 AM »
What to do? Go for it and save this rare classic, even if it might take years to get all the parts or leave it behind???

Well, the part most people seem to have trouble finding is the coin door, and you've got that there, So I'd go for it.
findapinball.com - The European pinball locator

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2012, 09:38:13 AM »

gyruss

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2012, 10:29:09 AM »
Damn, this is very nice, glad you're taking it!!

Laschek

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2012, 10:42:08 AM »
I might have a Space FIrebird PCB, not sure, would have to check.

PunkRockCaveman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2012, 11:34:29 AM »
Wow ... thanks for all your kind words and VERY cool that there might be a chance to grab a marquee and pcb soon. Let's hope that it will be the Nintendo version. Sega/Gremlin also released a version of that cab after BigN dumped the rights because of the financial fail of the game. I will keep you posted ;) Please keep looking for that pcb Laschek! I will take that right away ;D