Author Topic: :: UK Road Trip #17 :: Midway WACKO ! (featuring guest stars)  (Read 73325 times)

Alpha1

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
Re: :: UK Road Trip #17 :: Midway WACKO ! (featuring guest stars)
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2011, 05:10:12 PM »
Hey Bruno,

I usually Paypal when using ArcadeShop - just send them an email.

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2011, 05:50:34 PM »
6V is ABSOLUTELY KILLING for your TTL chips !!!!! Do not power it up anymore until fixed or you may burn parts on the PCB !!

However, how did you measure this, was the PCB connected or not ? If there is no "load" for the power supply it may well have a higher voltage when you measure it.

scr33n

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2011, 05:57:13 PM »
Bruno,

I've purchased several times from Arcadeshop.com (Steven) without problems.

Contact him via email with your items order, wait a bit (1-3 days) for his reply ...

Steven will ask you shipping information and credit card data (I used a prepaid VISA card) - NO PAYPAL -  asked but he doesn't accept this kind of payment  :-[ :-\

Buy without hesitation (High-quality products!!!).

PS: Bruno don't forget to put in your order a new Gyruss CPO  :wink: :spaceace:
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 06:00:32 PM by scr33n »
PROJECTS FROM SCRATCH:

Galaga - PacMan - Donkey Kong Red Cab - Track & Field Upright - Tempest - Burgertime - Gyruss - Defender - Track & Field Cocktail - Robotron 2084

RESTORATIONS:

Q*bert - Timber

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2011, 06:02:55 PM »
Yep I had to pay through CC as well....the trouble is mailing that info isn't the safest thing to do......so I split up the info over 3 mails.

Still not safe, but better than all info in 1 mail....

The other bad side of arcadeshop.com : They will ALWAYS declare full value, as they say because of insurance. SO be prepared to pay import duties....

liquidx

• Bruxhell, Belgium
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2011, 07:30:02 PM »

When I order from arcadeshop I just email the order then call them up and give my CC over the phone, they're fast and friendly.
findapinball.com - The European pinball locator

FINNY(uk)

• View Profile
    • http://www.jasonfinn.com
« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2011, 01:24:49 AM »
Great to see the Usual Suspects.....Archer, Rav and Oll in the Pics, Arch's new place looks awesome!!!
-Finny
"Aim for the Moon! if you fall short your be with the Stars"

CrazyKongFan

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2011, 07:41:45 PM »
Another awesome road trip post! ;D Hey Level42, Funspot now has a Wacko too, right next to the Kozmik Kroozr. The Kozmik Kroozr was introduced during the tournament, the Wacko came on Labor Day weekend (first Monday in September here in the US).
On that power regulator board, I don't know if he deals with international orders, but Bob Roberts (therealbobroberts.net) has a rebuild kit for the MCR power regulator boards. I have a Gaplus (which isn't MCR) that also uses one of these, and even has the battery on it, even though it has no bookkeeping and all the settings are via dipswitches...I really should remove that battery ;) I need to get the rebuild kit too, as my 12V is messed up, only puts out 5V, so some games I hook up to it (using a JAMMA adapter) don't have sound.

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2012, 11:48:14 AM »
While I'm waiting to receive the 'Wacko Power Supply Conversion Kit Adapter' from arcadeshop, here's a presentation of the game from Electronic Fun mag ... from an august 83 point of view  ;)  :arrow:

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2012, 08:15:29 AM »
OK, got the stuff from Arcadeshop :

Wacko Power Supply Conversion Kit Adapter +Power supply  :arrow:

Let's wire all that stuff inside the beast, very easy job (thanks to that conversion kit adapter very well done) :

HELL YEAH!  :-* :-* :-*  :arrow:

No more reboot of the game... problem solved!  8)

I notice a slight deformation on the screen.

Oh, and yes ... screen burns ... but I can live with that for now, it gives 'history' to that cabinet and it doesn't affect anything during the party 8)

Now let's play and discover that game  :-*

Cool, the power conversion kit includes a new battery, the game keeps the scores (very low for now)  :arrow:

This is a really fun game to play! Not easy...but I'll practice it  :)

Ok, the next step will be to clean the trackball parts, because the moves of Kapt'n Krooz'r are not smooth and it's a little bit noisy  :)

Oh, I may put that *working* beauty in the Nuno's Lair these coming days (and bring back a non working cabinet into my workshop also called ...'living room')  ;D

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2012, 09:15:00 AM »
great news, bruno! those AS power supply conversion kits are pure magic, they save you from a lot of trouble and are easy to handle. highly recommended!!!
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

liquidx

• Bruxhell, Belgium
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2012, 10:20:21 AM »

Does your neck hurt when you've finished playing? :)

findapinball.com - The European pinball locator

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2012, 10:31:27 AM »
great news, bruno! those AS power supply conversion kits are pure magic, they save you from a lot of trouble and are easy to handle. highly recommended!!!
Unless you want to keep your cabs as original as possible of course. But I agree it's a quick fix to get a game up and running.

Better fix that conversion kit somewhere tidy Bruno, if you let it dangle like that it may short to something and blow up stuff....

Trackballs usually need new rollers and bearings to get them perfect after 25 years. I highly  recommend Bob Robert's rollers and bearings. His rollers are stainless steel (others regular steel) and bearings are very well greased and broken in (don't remove the grease like some people think must be done ;) ;) ;))

Really cool cabinet and I've never played the game would love to have a go at it !

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2012, 06:12:07 PM »

Yes, these original power supply medium boards are the weak point of many games from that era. That conversion kit is great improvement for the reliability and security (new battery, less warm...) of the game.

Does your neck hurt when you've finished playing? :)

Nope, not my neck  ;D ...but my 'index' finger, yes!  :-\  Let me explain...  

Yesterday I wanted to switch that working Wacko located in my workshop the living room against a non working cabinet located in my game room.
There are few stairs between the ground and the kitchen, which is my usual way to in/out cabinets.
In order to pass the stairs ('coz I'm alone for doing that now) no other solution than lay down the cabinet like this  :arrow:

The next step now is to go outside and pull down the cabinet... I've done this dozens of time. But because I knew  that cabinet is very heavy, I pulled very hard in order to move it on a long distance during one effort. Bad idea, I pulled too hard and because of the inertia, the cabinet moved too far... and my index finger got stuck between the cabinet and the wall...ouuuch!  :ghost:  :arrow:

Ouuccch!!!  (Nuno's horror show...Caution!) :arrow:

First a part of skin was peeled off, but worse a huge pain came inside the finger  :-X I have to stop for a while now  :-X

20 minutes later, no more sensation in that finger...a part of if turns to blue color ... not good ... but so let's continue the job, without using that finger... The cabinet is inside the kitchen, I cannot let the cabinet like that... I have to move it before the return of my wife/daughter! it's gonna be rock and roll  :oops:
I'm really stupid, if I was wearing my protective gloves... ok, it's a little bit late, but I swear I won't do this anymore without protection!  :oops:

OK, the game is OUT of the house.

The weather is not too bad for this winter season... Let's get that opportunity to take pictures of the Wacko  8)  :arrow:

"How it's made?" or the secret of the Wacko 'shape'  ;D  :arrow:

Great condition as you can see...

Let's subtitle the next picture : 'PLAY ME!'  8)  :arrow:

I'll switch the Wacko against the (fortunately for my index) empty Space Invaders :

OK, but the location I plan to use for the Wacko requests an other cabinet move... let's pull out the MACH3, fortunately on FOUR wheels, so quite easy to move too  ;)

At last... WACKO on location  :-*  :arrow:

...to continue...
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 10:12:24 PM by DarthNuno »

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2012, 06:38:48 PM »
ouch, that finger looks ... eh ... hmmm ... damaged :shock:

i'm a fan of arcade game pictures "out in the open", that wacko really is in nice shape. hopefully i'll have the chance to try it one day myself ...
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2012, 07:33:31 PM »
Great pictures Bruno! that cab is so strange looking!!!! - and hope that finger heals soon!!! :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace: