Author Topic: I'm building my personal Gaming Room...  (Read 1039613 times)

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
Re: I'm building my personal Gaming Room...
« Reply #210 on: September 28, 2008, 12:11:48 PM »
...and here's a small video that shows you the current status  ;)  :arrow:

...by the way, the light switch is not working yet  :oops: ;D 

amadama

• View Profile
« Reply #211 on: September 29, 2008, 06:34:29 PM »
Very nice as always Bruno. Also, thanks for the explanation as to the OSB and the fiberglass. I had never seen either of them used in wall construction at all here in the US.
Keep it up my friend!
Alex

Ghost Soldier

• View Profile
« Reply #212 on: September 29, 2008, 06:40:40 PM »
Looking good  ;D

leonk

• View Profile
« Reply #213 on: September 29, 2008, 10:05:44 PM »
very interesting how construction differs in different parts of the world.  I guess the weather plays a big role in regards to the construction you use.

In North America, that room will be very cold in the winter (due to the lack of insulation in the walls).  Also, due to high humidity in the summer, the wood would have lots of mold growing on it
due to the lack of air/water barrier.  Concrete can't hold water back.  Here in Toronto, humidity from the air + water content in the ground will travel through that concrete right into the room.

Keep up the good work. Really fascinating!

atarikid

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: September 30, 2008, 12:38:19 PM »
In North America, that room will be very cold in the winter (due to the lack of insulation in the walls).  Also, due to high humidity in the summer, the wood would have lots of mold growing on it
due to the lack of air/water barrier.  Concrete can't hold water back.  Here in Toronto, humidity from the air + water content in the ground will travel through that concrete right into the room.

Actually, that's why I asked him why he is using OSB on the floor. It's no different here in Belgium.
imo it will give problems concerning deformation of the OSB when laying directly on concrete.
Coder of EasyMame
- Pinball Star Trek NG
- Mame cabinet

Ghost Soldier

• View Profile
« Reply #215 on: October 01, 2008, 06:16:20 PM »
If you go back through the thread and see how the footer was poured it will make sense.  He has a sandwich of concrete-dirt-concrete.  I doubt much moisture will travel through the floor sense it's not in complete contact with any humidity.  Concrete/ Brick walls can be sealed to avoid humidity.  Look into slab foundations that are poured for most modern houses without a basement or crawlspace.  They use similar construction to what Darth used for the floor. I had no problem in the last slab house I lived in.  Most rooms had carpet or laminate wood flooring.

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: October 01, 2008, 11:06:19 PM »
I know there won't be any deformation problem on the osb floor because the steps for doing the foundations have been done exactly like an house. Have a look at the previous pictures. Moistures won't reach the the top of the slab. No humidity/cold too, because all the walls + roof have been insulated  ;) Did I already notified my father is ...mason  8) The same job has been done three years ago for the first room, and no problem at all  ;)

OK, so here's the stuff of the day :

Under the OSB boards, I'm applying an anti-humidity layer  :wink:  :arrow:

I'm using glue for wood between the OSB boards :

The delicate part : cutting the boards in order to match the entrance ...

Hey, something is missing between the two rooms  :P

Better now  :)  :arrow:

Finished  :-* :-* :-*

:spaceace:

polaris

• veni vidi congai
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: October 02, 2008, 01:08:59 AM »
looking great, i can nearly picture games in there ;)
 :spaceace:

just keeping an eye on things

Ghost Soldier

• View Profile
« Reply #218 on: October 03, 2008, 03:47:20 PM »
Looks great Darth.  I'm glad I'm not the only one with a father in the construction business  :wink:.  Looking forward to more pictures of the room.

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #219 on: October 03, 2008, 10:29:41 PM »
Very nice as always Bruno. Also, thanks for the explanation as to the OSB and the fiberglass. I had never seen either of them used in wall construction at all here in the US.
Keep it up my friend!
Alex

The fiberglass is the big hype all over here in Holland too. If you want to have a single color wall it's a great choice. Easy to apply and cheap.

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: October 07, 2008, 07:20:09 PM »
 :-*

Well, it's not yet the "carpet" step, but I seriously have to think about it...

I remember when I got the red carpet for the first room two years and ago, having seen a similar carpet, with the same pattern on it... but in blue.

My idea for the v2 is to have an ' US old school' game room...  something dark... and blue  8)

So I go to the same carpet shop. I hope I'll be able to order that blue carpet.
At the shop : Sorry mister, we don't have it... and impossible to order it anymore  :evil: :evil: :evil:

Ok... I have a B plan... I know an other shop... were I know that carpet is  ;D
So I'm on that shop... and the blue carpet is there. Of course, I have with me a sample from my red carpet, from my first room  :arrow:

...but... the blue carpet on the floor... and on the floor only !!!

Yes, the seller says me that blue carpet is very old... They don't have it for sale... and it's impossible for him to order it !!!

- Come on man, I'm sure it should be possible to order it !  :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: PLease  :o :o :o

- Sorry mister... I can't help you...

AAAAAAAAARGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH !!!!!!!!!!! The carpet I need is exactly under my feet... I can touch it ... but I can't buy it  :o :o :o :o :o :o  :evil: :evil: :evil: :ghost: :ghost: :ghost:

- Ok mister the seller, I don't want a new carpet.... please remove it from the floor... I'm ok to buy it like that !

- Impossible to remove it mister, I'm sorry  :o

:evil: :evil: :evil:

Ok, so let's start the 'blue carpet' quest... If I can't find it exactly the same pattern, I'll try to get something as close as possible  :'(

Shop number 3 in France :

...mwelll...  :roll:

Shop number 4 in Luxembourg :

:-X
Shop number 5 in Luxembourg :

Hey... that blue one...nice pattern... why not...

An other shop in Belgium ...

No No No  :oops:

Well... I'm tired to look for THe blue carpet... One shop per day... after my work time... so many time... so many km driven... I don't know what to choose  ???

Here's my last trip ... a shop in France... one hour to drive... but one of my colleague told me something about a blue carpet there... very similar...

HOLY JESUS !!!!!!! I GOT IT !!!!!!!! IT'S THE SAME MODEL !!! the same manufacturer ... the same pattern ... but in BLUE !!!! YEHAAAAWWW  :-* :-* :-* :-*

Closer  :D  :arrow:

All the details about it  :arrow:

I order it immediately the surface I need of course  :P :-* :-* :-* ...but delivery time will be 6 or 8 weeks  :shock: OPss... but it's ok... I'm so happy to found it  :D Waiting time won't be a problem  ;)

atarikid

• View Profile
« Reply #221 on: October 08, 2008, 12:44:16 PM »
I order it immediately the surface I need of course  :P :-* :-* :-* ...but delivery time will be 6 or 8 weeks  :shock: OPss... but it's ok... I'm so happy to found it  :D Waiting time won't be a problem  ;)

Strange that the other shops cannot order it anymore at the same factory.
Hopefully you do not get a declination after 6-8 weeks.
Coder of EasyMame
- Pinball Star Trek NG
- Mame cabinet

scr33n

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: October 08, 2008, 02:37:22 PM »

Great choice Bruno, I like the blue version   :-*  :-*

:spaceace: :spaceace:
PROJECTS FROM SCRATCH:

Galaga - PacMan - Donkey Kong Red Cab - Track & Field Upright - Tempest - Burgertime - Gyruss - Defender - Track & Field Cocktail - Robotron 2084

RESTORATIONS:

Q*bert - Timber

Ghost Soldier

• View Profile
« Reply #223 on: October 08, 2008, 05:57:37 PM »
Sounds like another one of your arcade journeys.  Glad you found what you where looking for.

funkycochise

• View Profile
« Reply #224 on: October 08, 2008, 09:05:05 PM »
Wahoo, bruno, you should sweat cold a bit no about that carpet quest  :lol:
juste like cabinet search, be patient, everything comes in time.

happy to see this blue version.

Well done, mate.