Author Topic: Updating my little arcade garage  (Read 3612 times)

MacDLSA

• View Profile
Updating my little arcade garage
« on: March 30, 2022, 05:28:27 PM »
Hi Bruno, hi all there.

I haven't posted anything here for a long time, so I take the opportunity to do so as I will be home for a month or so due to knee surgery.

A couple of years ago I came up with what we call "the 50-years-old crisis" which led me to want to expand my small gameroom.
- First I fixed my 2007 Dragon's Lair - repro with new and better artworks and including a frontend in which to choose all the "moves-based" arcade laserdisc games emulated by Daphne and Singe.
- I then also rearranged the PC inside my "2001: A Space Odissey" 's Monolith multigame cabinet in order to have, in addition to the GroovyMame, also the Sega Model2 and all the arcade laserdisc games emulated so far, including the ALG, FireFox, Freedom Fighter, etc...
- I then built an Atari Quantum - repro, with vertical monitor and with control panel adapted for 2 players + trackball to be able to enjoy all those fantastic games of the Arcade Bronze & Golden Era.
[all the cabinets mentioned are equipped with PC QuadCore + ATI Radeon + CRT Emudriver> 15khz and 20" CRT Color TV auto-on modded]
- I recently restored a Space Invaders Midway in medium / bad condition ... after having peeled off all the "rotten" parts, redone the bottom, rebuilt all the missing parts and filled practically everything else, I completed everything, considering I have a very tight budget, with cheap electronics (a 20" Color TV, a 60-in-1-vertical board, Jamma-3 harness and a generic PSU) and adhesive vinyl.
- In the meantime I have also built several other "little things" on commission ...
> three "midi-cabinets", in 1.1: 5 "kickpanel-free" scale: "Defender", "Robotron" and a "Williams-Multigame", all with 14" Hantarex CRT and "19-in-1-horizontal board;
> a Dragon's Lair - repro (in the end result even better than mine) with a 20" CRT color TV, Arthur + Dexter inside;
> a "Street Fighter II C.E." type stand-alone ControlPanel with an additional trackball module;
> a gigantic "table-top" (absolutely non-portable... but oh, they wanted it that way...) with a 20 "CRT screen, PC with Groovymame.
- I also rebuilt the electrical plant of my small gameroom in order to have a dedicated line, UV LED lighting and fluo painting on the joints of the tiles to have the fluo/blue glow effect, which is very "80's".

Not having enough space here, I uploaded around 150 pics and clips in "AmazonPhotos" at this link:

https://www.amazon.it/photos/share/tCIHalgVgq2j7nsCoxDIRql0RQwHSKIy80Y0kc9MqA

Cheers,

Marco
Marco"MacDLSA", Daphne Team
irc[dot]enterthegame[dot]com , channels #Daphne / #Lasergames

Andreas_AUT

• hello world
    • View Profile
Re: Updating my little arcade garage
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2022, 09:08:35 AM »
"the 50-years-old crisis"

;D

Nice collection. The work on putting off 1 laminate of your space invaders reminds me to my DK Jr. Since the wood has swelled due to water damage, I had to putt off one laminate layer too.

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2022, 09:18:29 AM »
Thats fantastic, thanks for sharing. :spaceace:

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2022, 09:34:06 AM »
HI Marco,

Yes, it's been a long time.  :)
Thanks for sharing your update, some impressive well done work in there!
And my favorite one from your list is ... Quantum!  :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:

MacDLSA

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2022, 08:16:50 PM »
"the 50-years-old crisis"

;D

Nice collection. The work on putting off 1 laminate of your space invaders reminds me to my DK Jr. Since the wood has swelled due to water damage, I had to putt off one laminate layer too.

Thanks, Andreas.
Hehe, yes... I removed the top layer of the top panel because it was completely swollen by moisture, then planed, grouted and varnished what remained.
The bottom was also completely swollen and as I touched it fell apart, so I completely destroyed it and replaced it with solid 19mm MDF panels firmly screwed from inside to the sides.

About that "50-years-old crisis" I have to say my first thought was to buy a motorcycle (it's a classic  ;D ) but wife and daughter's opinion were QUITE "different"...  :evil:. Well.. let's try to be satisfied..  :lol: :wink: :'( :P ::) ;D

MacDLSA

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2022, 08:20:28 PM »
Thats fantastic, thanks for sharing. :spaceace:

Thanks to you !

MacDLSA

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2022, 08:30:56 PM »
HI Marco,

Yes, it's been a long time.  :)
Thanks for sharing your update, some impressive well done work in there!
And my favorite one from your list is ... Quantum!  :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:

Hey Bruno !
How are you doing?

Sorry again if I have not been very present, even if I still kept reading on DLF !

Thnks, again... my Quantum is a sort of "big job"... just think that to make the control panel like the original I asked for a quote to do it in metal, with its THREE folds and the "double fold" of almost 150 °... Well, they had "shot" me € 250  :o :o :o .
Then, I did it by myself WITH WOOD ! MDF panels and plywood strips stacked to each other, plus a simple "one-folded" metal strip. All for a cost of about € 20 and dozens of hours of work, but the result was rather encouraging...
« Last Edit: April 03, 2022, 06:55:11 AM by MacDLSA »

Dreamstates

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2022, 10:50:33 PM »
Those half arcades are spot on what I thought I would make If I had the means. Amazing!