Dragon's Lair Fans - Arcade Lifestyle
December 08, 2021, 10:23:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ALS'/DLF' : your daily dose of Arcade Life Style...inside the Dragon's Lair!

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 46
  Print  
Author Topic: ## Road Trip ## GALAXIAN THEATER from NAMCO !!!  (Read 617673 times)
Luigi
ArcadeLifeStyler'

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: January 10, 2013, 10:54:04 AM »

Episode E01 & E02 are now available in this video Wink  arrow

This is very coool and impressive, sir  Space Ace
Muerto
ArcadeLifeStyler'

Denmark

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: January 10, 2013, 01:59:49 PM »

Cool video Bruno!!! - Horrible music though!  Wink

scr33n
ArcadeLifeStyler'

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: January 10, 2013, 02:35:05 PM »

Stylish video Bruno  Space Ace  Kiss

PROJECTS FROM SCRATCH:

Galaga - PacMan - Donkey Kong Red Cab - Track & Field Upright - Tempest - Burgertime - Gyruss - Defender - Track & Field Cocktail - Robotron 2084

RESTORATIONS:

Q*bert - Timber
DarthNuno
Administrator
ArcadeLifeStyler'

Singe's castle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #228 on: January 11, 2013, 08:36:14 AM »

EPISODE 04: "One 'Gun Base Assy' to rule them all..."

Starring : Darth Nuno

...and an unexpected guest : a giant spider!

On this episode, I'll replicate what I've done for the first 'Gun Base Assy' : removing the floor vinyl on the 5 other 'Gun Base Assy'.

So here's the 'Gun Base Assy' #2 :

After removing the vinyl :

...and after removing the glue :

Let's continue with the 'Gun Base Assy' #3 :

This is the painful/tiresome job for me ... removing all these stuck screws! I've broken few drill bits... Evil

Funny, I still find few coins lost since... I clearly remember the price for a game on this Galaxian Theater : 50 BEF (1,25€ nowadays)...it was expensive at the time. Regular games cost was more 20 BEF in the nineties...

Anyway, that 'Gun Base Assy' is now 'glue' free :

Let's continue with the 'Gun Base Assy' #4. On that one, you can really see why the vinyl must be changed!  arrow

Oh, and on most of them, I also using a vacuum cleaner to remove dust and mud floor... remember, these 'Gun Base Assy' were sleeping since more than 5 years in a shed with absolute ZERO insulation  Undecided ...

Job done on that one ...

Grr grrr brrrr ... a little bit cold here! I had to work with a ton of clothes  oppps  arrow

Here's the 'Gun Base Assy' #5 :

On that one, the original screws have been already replaced...

...probably to replace the lightening tube, located at the back of the base.

Let's remove the glue....

I'm starting to be very tired of doing this again & again...  roll eyes ... fortunately it's 'only' the 6 players version of Galaxian3 ... not the 16 or 28!  Grin

But finally, only one left... the 'Gun Base Assy' #6 :

Hey, I'm not alone here?!

Holy Jesus! What a monster! I HATE SPIDER!  Ghost Ghost Ghost  arrow

Ok, job done!  arrow

...but I'm still far to the end regarding the 'Gun Base Assy' restoration... oppps ... next step, to remove rust on all of them! I use my usual product  arrow

Because the 'rust attack' is too strong, and to complete the action of the 'rust remover' liquid, I'm using my drill to get off the remaining rust area...

Same 'painful' job for the second one...

If you didn't notice, the six 'Gun Base Assy' have two different sizes. Two of them are 'extra' size and they will located at the end of the row. In addition, each 'Gun Base Assy' has a precise location on the row, because the fixation for each gun/seat are all different depending the orientation of each player. You'll better understand by watching this!  Wink  arrow

And here we are, after more than one week of 'painful' work on the 'Gun Base Assy'... they are ready for the next stage!  Cool  arrow

Episode E03 & E04 are available in this video Wink  arrow

The End
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 01:59:26 PM by DarthNuno » Logged

uncletom

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: January 11, 2013, 08:57:49 AM »

Great job there removing all that rust. You know, you could repaint the bases with some anti-rust for cars. It will look like hell, but also protect like hell.

Are the threadings that hold the gun-towers and seats intact? You could get some stainless screws (for boats) to replace the original ones with, so at least the screws will not rust again.
Nic-fryer

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: January 11, 2013, 10:28:56 AM »

It's a great thing to see someone restoring this massive beast with such love and care. I can't wait to see it finished and working again. Soon shall the G3 live again... It's such a shame i can't come over there and play it, and some of your other games Cry

- BLANK -
Level42
ArcadeLifeStyler'

Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #231 on: January 11, 2013, 10:30:18 AM »

Isnt there a special bit to remove totally tight screws.....thought I once saw something like that....
O Well, too late now.....lots of hard work done, respect !!!!

Belike
ArcadeLifeStyler'

Budapest, Hungary

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: January 11, 2013, 10:43:34 AM »

Isnt there a special bit to remove totally tight screws.....thought I once saw something like that....

It is possible with a welder, but I'm not sure it is more simple than Bruno's solution.
What a hell of a job, all my respect! Space Ace Space Ace Space Ace
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 04:45:13 PM by Belike » Logged
liquidx

Bruxhell, Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: January 11, 2013, 11:00:13 AM »

O Well, too late now.....lots of hard work done, respect !!!!

Yes there is, it's called a screw extractor. I have a set I bought in a local "brico" shop. Sometimes just drilling the damn thing out is faster though, the extractor is for situations where drilling is a bad idea.

findapinball.com - The European pinball locator
Etienne MacGyver
ArcadeLifeStyler'

The Netherlands

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: January 11, 2013, 11:10:08 AM »

I have one of these :

what it basicly does is the same as these :

It turns while pressing, but my vatiant is designed to use with a hammer  Twisted

the "hit" will give the screw a push in the direction you specified.

I have used it many times for very tight screws in engines.

Luigi
ArcadeLifeStyler'

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: January 11, 2013, 11:18:59 AM »

Awesome job, Bruno!! Smiley

André is right, there IS a special bit to unlock such stuck screws (or screws with worn out "heads"). I'm trying to find it for future projects.
Some WD40 or equal stuff should be applied before trying to open them.
baddy

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: January 11, 2013, 12:32:42 PM »

This project is of biblical proportions! I see myself back 5 years ago seeing Nuno dismantling this massive game and not caring that it would be a huge task to put it back together! I'm not even mentionning that he had to build a house just for it  Grin.

Good luck to you Nuno, your gaming rooms are brilliant and the care and professionalism you put in them makes me happy!

Keep up the good work, and I dream of a day when you'll open up your lair for arcade fans from all around.
Level42
ArcadeLifeStyler'

Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #237 on: January 11, 2013, 02:11:13 PM »

I remember my brother used Coca Cola on some stubborn rusty bolts on his car many many years ago....
No idea if it really works (Mythbusters ??)

liquidx

Bruxhell, Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: January 11, 2013, 02:22:32 PM »

I remember my brother used Coca Cola on some stubborn rusty bolts on his car many many years ago....
No idea if it really works (Mythbusters ??)

It does. I had a galaxian joystick that was stuck like crazy. Rust remover, WD40, nothing would budge the thing. In the end, I left it in coca cola for a week and it came apart super easily.

findapinball.com - The European pinball locator
uncletom

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: January 11, 2013, 04:41:41 PM »

Would that be the "light", or "zero" Coke? And if it does work, could Fanta do as well?
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 46
  Print  

Jump to: