Author Topic: ## Road Trip ## GALAXIAN THEATER from NAMCO !!!  (Read 744299 times)

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
Re: ## Road Trip ## GALAXIAN THEATER from NAMCO !!!
« Reply #195 on: January 06, 2013, 11:31:10 PM »
LOL !!!! Where did you find the manual ? I actually tried to find it because I knew it would be in there :)

Come on André, what is the best site for all Galaxian3 resources? Huh?

...here of course!  ;D

Check this out  :arrow:

8)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #196 on: January 06, 2013, 11:49:06 PM »
Oops haha  ;D  :oops:

Whenever I look for a manual I go to ArcArc....bit of an "automatic response" I guess ;)

uncletom

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: January 07, 2013, 11:10:24 AM »
... I have just finished browsing through all that I missed since last year. And wow! Good job there, everybody!

But damn! I wish I had been there to help! I could have come for a visit from Sweden, this is a historical moment! I would have! .. and look at all that food I missed out on, GNNNGHH!!

Well, I guess I have to check for updates every day here, to make sure I won't miss anything again.

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: January 07, 2013, 12:20:49 PM »
EPISODE 02: "15... inch? Nope 15... foot!"

Starring : Darth Nuno, Sam
Guest Star : Sun

I'm sitting on the 'base screen'... and watching all that stuff, waiting to to reassembled... Jesus!  :arrow:

Here's the 'base screen' support, as I left it in the first episode...

Because some of the coming elements to manipulate are heavy and may be dangerous to manipulate alone...

I will have the help of Sam, famous member of the UGSF European Team! 8)
Here we go with the first screen frame support...

...2nd...

...3rd...

Well, it's a little bit cold in the game room, I don't have the final heating system for this room, so I wear 3 pull overs, and 2 pants ...  "Bibendum" power!!!  ;D ...

Not easy to move inside that mess!

Sam 'in action'...

And the 6 frames are fixed!  :arrow:

Oh, yes...like during the 'Reunion Day', my laptop captures everything by the way  ::) 8)

Next step, to fix the two 'sides' of that huge 'screen frame'... the right one against the wall is now fixed!  :arrow:

Now we need the left one... and of course, we need to move a lot of other parts to access it!  :evil: See, we need that one... on the bottom of the pile!  :arrow:

Come on, Sam... Faster...Faster!  ;D  :arrow:

Both 'blue side' of the screen frame are fixed, good!  :arrow:

This is huge!

I still have the same question in my head, repeating over and over... will it be a problem to reassemble the theater in that specific position, with its side against the wall? I don't really remember how the parts of the side are connected tbh... So I check my pictures archived from that road trip...And I don't like to see such pictures, when I'm working 'outside' the Theater!  :ghost:  :arrow:

...I also 'study' the disassemble/ reassemble videos from our Japanese friends... and...well, It should be fine... so here we go in that way! CARPE DIEM!
Let's prepare these two parts, the right base support :

Hey, an additional helper? ::) Sun :-*  :arrow:

Ok, let's prepare these two parts...

First one fixed...and see... against the wall with almost no empty space...

Let's be very accurate here... because too much level error may be very problematic at l8ter stages...

Same 'precision' work for the 2nd part :

Done! Still my big ladder in the V3, that allows me 'aerial view'  ;D :

Back on the screen... the frame is complete, but the most important are missing... the screen panels! :arrow:

Et voilĂ   :-*  :arrow:

Me: Approx 15!
Sam : 15? What do you mean?
Me: The size of the screen, its base...
Sam : 15... inch?
Me: Nope 15... foot! ;)

The End

Episode E01 & E02 are now available in this video ;)  :arrow:

« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 08:55:05 AM by DarthNuno »

uncletom

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: January 07, 2013, 02:16:08 PM »
Good good good!

work work work..

Ehm.. about the screen panels; how are these cleaned? Because I think that they are matt, not glossy surface?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 02:37:41 PM by uncletom »

scr33n

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: January 07, 2013, 05:26:57 PM »
Love it  :-* :-*

... but ... where is Burt The Daring?

PROJECTS FROM SCRATCH:

Galaga - PacMan - Donkey Kong Red Cab - Track & Field Upright - Tempest - Burgertime - Gyruss - Defender - Track & Field Cocktail - Robotron 2084

RESTORATIONS:

Q*bert - Timber

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: January 07, 2013, 05:51:34 PM »
Ehm.. about the screen panels; how are these cleaned? Because I think that they are matt, not glossy surface?

They are in metal, white 'granua'l metal. So they can be cleaned like every surface metal (thiner for example).

Well, he is very busy since (wife, two children, new job...), but I'll bring him to the V3 when the G3 will be up & running, for the same picture with Darth Nunette & me, x years l8ter!  ;D

scr33n

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 07, 2013, 05:56:44 PM »

Well, he is very busy since (wife, two children, new job...), but I'll bring him to the V3 when the G3 will be up & running, for the same picture with Darth Nunette & me, x years l8ter!  ;D

CoooLLLLL!!!  8)
PROJECTS FROM SCRATCH:

Galaga - PacMan - Donkey Kong Red Cab - Track & Field Upright - Tempest - Burgertime - Gyruss - Defender - Track & Field Cocktail - Robotron 2084

RESTORATIONS:

Q*bert - Timber

ombrenoire

• View Profile
« Reply #203 on: January 07, 2013, 09:07:13 PM »
Good Job men !!

If you need help for heavy pieces ( tritubes ) just call  ;)

Jason42

• View Profile
« Reply #204 on: January 07, 2013, 09:10:42 PM »
(as usual, reading silently the progress) nice job!

just a question: what inputs the projectors have? i mean... the G3, a desktop with dual vga output, a couch in front of the players... space desktop (or home theater) :D

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: January 07, 2013, 09:20:25 PM »
Super nice progress Bruno, looking great, but you could have been 8 houers further if you havent painted behind the G3  :D ;D :D ;D :P

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #206 on: January 07, 2013, 09:23:01 PM »
Mmmmm, you never know when you sell a cab  ;D ;D :D :D

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: January 07, 2013, 11:32:13 PM »
Thanks guys for your support on this!  :)

just a question: what inputs the projectors have? i mean... the G3, a desktop with dual vga output, a couch in front of the players... space desktop (or home theater) :D

In very short, there are two laser disc players sending the left + right signal (via BNC) into a special board (along all the boards that run the game) called 'V-MIX'. These two laser disc players produce the background of the game (CGI graphics, at the top of the technology back in 1994).
In addition of the background image (left+right), there are 2 set of boards in charge of computing the enemy ships and all the mechanic of the game. Why 2 set of boards? Well one set per screen! Left and Right! So each set of boards are sending the images processed (via usual RGB signal) into the same 'V-MIX' than the one used by both laser disc players. Do you still follow?  :roll:
OK, so the purpose of that unique 'V-MIX' board is ... to mix the images sent by the LD player and the images sent by the two set of boards, and produce two final video signals to send to the 2 projectors. The input of the projectors are 4 BNC for a native RGBS signal coming twice from the V-MIX board.  8) A true piece of technology at the time!

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #208 on: January 07, 2013, 11:46:50 PM »
Love that tech stuff.

So, do you plan using the original projectors or are you going to try and hook up some new one's ?

I guess at least the light intensity would be a lot better on new one's. Also the CRT one's can have convergence problems and they eat a lot of power....

Do you even know if they still work ?

Normally I'm all for keeping things original, but I played Daytona2 on the full-motion version and that one had the projectors replaced by modern day beamers and the picture was simply amazing....

(Sorry if any of that info is already on here....I love this thread but some things I forgot/didn't read  :oops: :oops:)

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: January 08, 2013, 12:06:09 AM »
The challenge here is to make all that stuff working, with all original parts! I know it'll be a real challenge, because I remember the game wasn't working when we disassembled it! I just can't remember what was working or not precisely?!  :?... it will be a surprise! I want to play 'Dragoon' & 'Zolgear' missions like I did in the Nineties! No less!  8) Once I'll reach that objective, I'll consider some improvements!  ;)