Author Topic: Donkey Kong Cabinet Colors  (Read 35580 times)

slowcade

• Norway
    • View Profile
    • http://slowcade.blogspot.com/
Re: Donkey Kong Cabinet Colors
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2012, 09:48:26 PM »
I always found that the blue DK cabinet looked strange and bleak. Although I prefer the red original, your orange looks nice!
I keep looking at your test picture with the three cabs side by side, and I'm beginning to feel like this is how they should have been in the first place. So.. in a way I agree to what you are saying. But you are brave for saying it out loud! :lol:

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2012, 09:56:14 PM »
I'm with you ully, I like them  :)

I always found that the blue DK cabinet looked strange and bleak. Although I prefer the red original, your orange looks nice!
I keep looking at your test picture with the three cabs side by side, and I'm beginning to feel like this is how they should have been in the first place. So.. in a way I agree to what you are saying. But you are brave for saying it out loud! :lol:

thx guys, nice to know that someone understands me :). one more thing regarding the choice of colors: a JUNIOR has to "wear" LIGHT BLUE, doesn't he? if donkey kong had had a daughter, the cabinet would have been pink of course :P

btw, why should i not be brave enough to say something like that out loud? after all, i live in a free country where everyone's entitled to his or her opinion. fortunately, i'm self-confident enough that i can live with every kind of bashing - i can take the heat! 8)
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2012, 10:18:44 PM »
[Edit] I realized that the Dutch saying "You can't discuss taste" is applying here....
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 06:48:20 AM by Level42 »

gyruss

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2012, 10:36:11 PM »
Lol, the orange dk looks very award, love the blue jr though..

polaris

• veni vidi congai
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2012, 10:45:38 PM »
As an aside ully, up until the 1940's the colour for a boy was pink and blue for a girl, in the uk anyway, it is only a recent thing but seems so definite to us.

Regarding the cabs, I think when you look at the matched colour pictures it makes the originals look like a mistake, ultimately it's your game room and now you've seen the renderings I bet your mind is set, mine would be.  ;)
just keeping an eye on things

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2012, 11:35:32 PM »
I'm always for keeping the classic cabs as original as possible, as they were back in the old days. And DK only comes in two flavours, blue and red, as far as I know at least. Yes, it may not be the best choice of colours, but that is how it is (although I like the blue color very much, I guess I am a minority). I mean, there are many, many more not that good looking cabs, take for instance most cabs with woodgrain panels like Frogger, Phoenix etc., but that is no reason to give them another color.

On the other hand, if you are talking of repro cabs, then I can understand that one chooces other colors, and this orange DK will look like a repro, so I guess it then is OK, IMHO.

One final note, Ully, think of the resale value!! Must be important.  ;)  :) Which arcade collector would ever want an orange DK? Oh, he could convert it of course to a DK Jr.

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2012, 11:35:47 PM »
As an aside ully, up until the 1940's the colour for a boy was pink and blue for a girl, in the uk anyway, it is only a recent thing but seems so definite to us.

Yes.....the Brits are known for mixing up things.....like on which side of the road to drive.... ;D ;D

jibmums

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2012, 03:58:06 PM »
I'd just like to point out, for those of you who use MAME, that those Nintendo models are part of a frontend called 3dArcade which is available here http://www.mameworld.info/3darcade/

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2012, 06:52:36 PM »
I'd just like to point out, for those of you who use MAME, that those Nintendo models are part of a frontend called 3dArcade which is available here http://www.mameworld.info/3darcade/

Which IMHO is the best frontend around. 100% customizable and the end result can be very, very astonishing. But you have to put time in it though. I use it for about 10 years now. And it was developed by a Dutchman.  :)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2012, 09:03:09 PM »
I know which color it's going to be........dark blue :)

http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=253797

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2012, 09:22:33 PM »
hehe, well spotted AndrĂ©!  ;)

Good choice! I've seen a D2K at Fun Spot, and it rocks!  :-*

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2012, 11:10:25 PM »
I know which color it's going to be........dark blue :)

wrong!!! this is for my d2k-to-be 8)
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Ronald Reagan

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2012, 07:26:46 PM »
i happen to stumble upon this one.
just sharing

An Error Has Occurred!
The last posting from your IP was less than 40 seconds ago. Please try again later.

Andreas_AUT

• hello world
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2017, 07:35:33 PM »
Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Yes, im sure  ;D. Ok, I was looking through the web searching for the baby blue nintendo color code and found this thread. To be honest, I already read it about 3x, spent a lot of time watching Ullys examples. As you may know, im in the middle of my DK Jr restauration.
 Since I started with body filling today, my next step will be painting the cab. And im totally on Ullys side, I think I will repaint it from orange to that baby blue ( sorry dutch guys  ;D ). So im going the japanese, dedicated way.  Ok, now looking for the RAL color code...  Thx for these pictures, Ully!!