Author Topic: ::RoadTrip + Project:: DAYTONA USA -> OutRun2 *Da Conversion*  (Read 150233 times)

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
##RoadTrip + WIP## DAYTONA USA Twin cab' !
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2007, 08:41:01 PM »
It's time to check the power supply.

In order to access the power supply, I'm removing a metal plate... and I
discover others boards :

...and as you can see, it's written 'model -1' ... this is the sound board of the game. Daytona works with a 'model-1' soundboard,... same than Virtua Racing for exemple.

This one is the 'drive board' ( manages the force feedback ), thanks BP  8)

This one is the sound amp board :

mhhhh... I need to clean it  :? ...and check if all wires were not cut by mouses  :?

I can now access the power supply... Let's check :

All values are fine... It won't be a power supply problem... but what it cab be
 :x  :x  :x   :cry:  :?:

ANY

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2007, 02:57:08 AM »
OK back from hell!!!!

So here we go ;)

before i forget i'll tell you another one tips...
Check voltage on the board, not on the PS,  connector cause voltage drop so your 5.30 can be 5.0  or less on the board...
For the boot problem I've tested one of my game without the I/O pcb and got the same image so you can have problem in that board, is the cable from I/O pcb to the main PCB good?  
have you tested the second main pcb?
Let me know

See ya
here is 10 kind of people:
-who can read binary
-all the rest

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2007, 06:14:41 PM »
Big update on this  :)

Well...  :oops:  ... not really regarding the boards -still dead- ... but ... I can't see that empty cab without any live in it... So, while I'm looking to repair or have others Daytona boards, or even a perfect emulation of the game via Nebula Model 2 Emulator,  I'll enjoy that cab with a fantastic *modern* game on Xbox360  :arrow:   Forza II Motorsport  :P

The idea is simple... just remove original Daytona racing wheel, pedals & monitor (because it's a 24khz) and put an Xbox360, with an Xbox360 racing wheel in order to use all the functions of the game (force feedback, all the buttons, ... ).

After some check, I prefere not to adapt the electronic parts of the Xbox360 racing wheel on the original Daytona wheel... to many work, and I would not be able to have the force feedback ...

I don't want to spend 220$ to buy a 15 -> 24 khz monitor frequence adapter... because I suspect the quality would not be so good (because of the conversion), and also because I would prefere to have a real scart connector to plug the Xbox360 in true RGB, so I'm using a beautill Sony Trinitron with the same size... and it's cheaper  8)

On the left the original 24khz Dayto monitor, on the right the Sony TV :

After many hours of work, here's the result :

Here's the actual status of the cab#1 :

...As you can see, I'm not using the original Daytona pedals (I'm using the white pedals from the Xbox360 Racing Wheel kit , but I think I wouln't not be too difficult to adapt. I'll do it later, but for now... I can enjoy that great game  :P

Now, check all that stuff running on this YOUTUBE VIDEO, right here

The cool thing is Sega Rally will be available very soon for XBox360 & Daytona USA also  8)  Hope they will include the classic version of these games, and a local network link option ... who knows ? :roll:  :wink:

ElPancho

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2007, 09:04:52 PM »
Bruno, you bring me to tears.

After enjoying Forza 2 and Colin Mcrae Dirt on the 360 for so many hours, I decided to built a simple sit down next winter.

Not that I'm aiming for a real arcade look (just the feel of a force feed back wheel will do for me) but this is simply awsome. Nice job.

Nice to see a 360 opening screen in a cab, and that the Daytona is back in business.

Bonne chance in finding Daytona pcb's, if I see some I'll drop you a mail.
current line up: 3 x New Astro City 2x Atomiswave SD, 3 x Aero (2 NOS) and Aero Table
Pac Man
Black Knight pinball
On the way: Daytona USA

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2007, 04:52:59 PM »
Quote from: "ElPancho"

...Bonne chance in finding Daytona pcb's, if I see some I'll drop you a mail.

Thanks ElPancho  :o

PS: I you've to travel close to South Belgium , you're more than welcome at the Nuno's Lair  :wink:

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2007, 09:21:23 AM »
...and now, because the Great OUT RUN 2SP in now available for XBOX360, you can't go wrong if you choose to put an XBOX360 into your racing cab  :o

Check this out :

I'm using the RGB scart connector from the XBOX360 to the TV, so the picture is 'arcade accurate'  :P  :P  :P

Now, don't miss this video :  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_LgFNT3kn8

arcadefever

• View Profile
    • http://www.arcadefever.net
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2007, 05:19:42 AM »
:shock:  dammmmmmmmm

that game look good ... :!:

vib_ribbon

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2007, 12:17:34 PM »
i like seeing what you've done there but i hope it's not a permanent fixture and daytona will one day go back into the cabs in a fully working state!!  8)

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
Re: ##RoadTrip + WIP## DAYTONA USA Twin cab' !
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2008, 08:33:21 AM »
Wowww... it's been a while on this project  :oops: ...   UP !  ;D

Ok, few weeks ago I got a brand new Panel for my Daytona Cab #1 (thanks JofJof27  :-*:arrow:

After visiting the Jof's Gameroom (see this post), I went to "DCE", an another collector who have a Daytona Twin up & running. I'll talk about him l8ter because he also owns an incredible arcade machine that really deserves an article. He is restoring a Galaxy Force Super Deluxe :arrow:

The idea was to test my two Daytona boards on his 'up & running' machines 8) :

Ok, so let's plug my boards and see what happens...

:-\ Still the same graphic garbages  :( ... let's swap the different sub-boards between my two boards ... still not working  :-[

Hey... DCE discovers a bended pin  :roll:  :arrow:

But it wasn't the problem  :-[ Still the same shit on the screen  :arrow:

Well, it's now clear : both Daytoa boards are down  :'( Maybe an expert in the Sega model II boards would be able to fix them... but I'm not able to go further on this  :-[ :-[ :-[

I'm looking now my Daytona Cab #1 who is in my living room... and I'm not happy with it  :? Here's the reasons :

1) Except "Forza II MotorSport" & "Out Run 2", most of the XBox 360 looks very bad on an CRT (low resolution) TV. And this is not a matter of the connectivity (I'm using the RGB connector). Let me show you for example the latest SEGA RALLY for Xbox360  :arrow:

As you can see, during fast motion, there is a gap between the even & odd lines  ??? >:( Of course, it's so ugly than you can't play the game like that  >:(

The problem don't occurs with Forza II because it's a 60hz game, and also for all Xbox (the first generation) games (like Out Run 2) because it seems that the Xbox360 - when playing an game from the first Xbox - switches to a low resolution mode, and it corrects that gap lines problem.

The conclusion is clear : The Xbox360 is not made for our old CRT low resolution TV ! So bye bye the new Sega Rally, the last PGR, ... and all the new racing games to come on XBox360...

2) OK, I still can play the fabulous Out Run 2 ... it really looks *arcade perfect* on my setup ... but because I'm using an Xbox360 to play it (the XBOX360 is able to emulates most of the Xbox first generation games), there are some graphical bugs  time to time :o Sometime the music stops ... well ... and I can't accept that ...  :-\

3) The integration of the Xbox360 wheel and pedals is not a good job  :-[ Sure, it works... but it looks bad ... and if a strong man push too hard on the wheel, I'm sure he'll break it  :oops: ...

Well, for all these reasons... I'm very disappointed  :(  I've no more time for this one ... and I have A LOT of other project to do ... this cab #1 take a lot of space, and I also have the cab #2 inside my gameroom... not working  >:(

OK... I give it up ... I'm selling that Daytona Twin cab -as is- !!!

I put it on ebay...

...but...

...few hours after publishing the advert on ebay...

... I stumble over a box ...

...and my head hit the ground (ouch)...

...and suddenly...

...I have an idea .... I have a vision  :arrow:

... I test *something* ...

...I immediately remove the advert on ebay...

Stay Tuned  ::) :wink:

jomm

• View Profile
    • http://www.jommgrut.be/afterburner
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2008, 03:46:37 PM »
Well, well,well Bruno, it seems like you're a huge "Back to the future"-fan. I must admit after all these years those movies are still my favorite ones.
I'm really looking forward to see your vision in action. I sure hope it fixes the cab... !!!  :wink:
God must love crazy people, he made so many of them!!

amadama

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2008, 04:16:40 PM »
Why do you tease us like this? It's torture I tell you!
I can't wait to see what you are scheming here.
Alex

Giddygoon

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2008, 02:58:59 PM »
It works……………..it works!!!!

I finally invented something that works……………!

Can’t wait to see your next post………?????

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2008, 09:53:11 AM »
 :P

And here's the *famous* box   :arrow:

I had this Xbox racing wheel since one year, and I never try to do something with it  :oops:

So, now the Daytona Twin is on ebay... but I'm thinking about this wheel... Maybe it'll be the perfect candidate for an 'hack' ? I Mean using the real Dayton racing wheel (and others controls like the pedals, shift, buttons...) for playing the Xbox *arcade perfect* Out Run 2 or Out Run 2006 Coast to Coast in the real Daytona Cabinet, without any artifices such extra buttons or damaging the panel like I did with the XBox360 'integration'  ::)

I have to try this !!! Let's open that logitech wheel and see if it's possible to hack it  8)

Well, there's no value written on the Logitech wheel pot...

So I'm connecting wires from the original Daytona Wheel pot to the Logitech board...  :arrow:

Let's try this now...

JESUS CHRIST ... F[CENSORED] JESUS CHRIST !!!

It's working !!! My god..  :D

Have a look at this video now  ;) :arrow:

As you can see... I'm not driving too good   :D I'm not playing, I'm 'stress testing' the wheel  :D

...and I can tell you : It rock !!! (note : and at that precise moment, the ad on ebay has been removed !!! )

Stay tuned for the part II  :wink: ;D

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2008, 07:10:11 PM »
So... After testing the wheel... I have to agree... it rocks  8) The arcade feeling is perfect... the calibration of it is perfect ... but ...
what about the pedals ? Let's check that  :P

Inside the Logitech pedals  :arrow:

Ok, in the same manner than I did for the wheel, I'm linking the original Daytona potentiometers from the pedals to the Logitech pedals board. In other words, I'm hacking the logitech pedals board  8)

Everything is ready...

...for the 'live' test  ::)  :arrow:

Now see the result in this video : :lol:  :arrow:

(LOL I know, it's a little bit dark...  :P)

Wooww... thanks my Lord... it works GREAT  ;D

I can't believe it... in order to be sure, I plug a second XBOX and I compare the maximum speed for a car :

- When I'm using the real Daytona pedals to the max
- When I'm using a Joystick during a game
- When I'm using the second Logitech pedals (non hacked)

The result : It's the same value for all  :) :) :) It works  :-* :-* :-*

To continue of course  :wink: :)

Sonic 1992

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • I Wanna Go Back !
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2008, 05:05:47 PM »
Hey, Bruno..  I found what you need!

You can buy it here!!!

http://www.tfaw.com/Profile/Back-To-The-Future-Flux-Capacitor-Replica___311677

When you get your time machine working, come pick me up... I have a laundry list of stuff I want to get back in 1983!!!  ;D ;D