Author Topic: ::RoadTrip + Project:: DAYTONA USA -> OutRun2 *Da Conversion*  (Read 150833 times)

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
Re: ::RoadTrip + Project:: DAYTONA USA -> OutRun2 *Da Conversion*
« Reply #75 on: May 04, 2009, 09:07:26 AM »
this cab is so awesome... great job bruno!
I want to have a twin sitdown too  :-\ :-\ The Outrunners, that would be SOOO great!  ;D

There is one for sell now in belgium (Beernem):

Click and take me to the add  :)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 09:09:12 AM by Etienne [NL] »

vib_ribbon

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 15, 2009, 09:59:12 PM »
i recently took the plunge and bought an empty crazy taxi cab with the intention of maming it into an all purpose racing cab.

i didnt take the console hack route, instead, i bought an apac.

of course, the first game to get going on it is daytona...

with it being a naomi cab, it takes the video from the laptop at 640x480 no problems.

after some messing about, playing out run, chase hq, virtua racing, etc etc... it was all fun. takes a bit of fiddling on the menus to get things to feel remotely like the original.

i also started looking at adding some extra buttons... which would involve cutting into the cab's plastics. for now, they just sit here like this...  :-\

4 speed shifter is a bit too big though... looking into the smaller ones and perhaps, as advised, just get a pcb that allows the shifter to register gears 1,2,3,4, etc on a up/ down shifter.

i also bought out run 2 on the pc... the game looks great on the cab, but the controls are very difficult to calibrate... right now, you need a lot of movement on the wheel to get the smallest amount of movement on the car...  :'(

is the xbox version like that too??

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #77 on: July 16, 2009, 05:19:09 PM »
Woow... Daytona :P When I started this project, Daytona wasn't emulated  :'( that's the reason why I went for one of the best racing game for me : Out Run 2 ... and because the XBOX is arcade perfect  :-* I spent so much time in that project ... It would be a lot of time & energy to roll back everything and go with a computer... but ... woowww .... Daytona into a Daytona cab would be .... Wow  ::) :-* :-* :-*

is the xbox version like that too??

Well, I would say ' a little bit', but it's perfectly playable for me (and other players who tried it).
I have one rule : if it's naturally playable, than it's good... If you start to ask you questions, than something is wrong...
As far as I remember, setting the Out Run 2 for PC version was a nightmare, and I wasn't really pleased with the result.
I strongly suggest you the XBOX version  8)

vib_ribbon

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 16, 2009, 06:52:05 PM »
the game (out run2) plays brilliantly on the keyboard, but the moment i put it onto the wheel, like you say, i start questioning it.

everything is going through a very cheap laptop at the moment, bought especially for MAME.

i dont even have an xbox.  ;D

i'll keep trying when i can stop playing daytona and virtua racing.

Zeether

• Roger, out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 02, 2009, 01:19:50 AM »
Sucks you couldn't get those Daytona boards to work...great conversion though!

funkycochise

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 02, 2009, 02:31:18 PM »

Interesting picture.
How do you output the laptop 31KHz output to the egret II 15KHz (24KHz too, but it's the same problem) ?
Universal converter ?

yuppicide

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 12, 2009, 06:56:42 AM »
Great pics guys. I'm jealous. I've always wanted to own a Daytona USA twin. I'd technically like to own one with all 8 players (is that the max?) linked up, but I don't have that many people to play with.

vib_ribbon

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 13, 2009, 12:02:17 PM »

Interesting picture.
How do you output the laptop 31KHz output to the egret II 15KHz (24KHz too, but it's the same problem) ?
Universal converter ?

it's still a problem i'm trying to overcome. but what you see in this picture is the laptop outputting 320x240, and that's not a problem for the monitor. however, anything higher and it will give you that wonky split screen picture. i was told that if the picture is interlaced at 640x480 it shouldnt be a problem, but going through all the advanced setups on the graphics card, i still haven't managed to get a stable picture at 640x480. i have ordered a cheap vga to tv/ rgb converter, lets see if i can have any joy with that.

by the way, out run 2 is now playing brilliantly on the naomi. needed tweaking, but once the sensitivity was put onto maximum from within the game, everything came together.

80stoyshop

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 14, 2010, 06:31:40 PM »
sorry to revive this but do you have a wiring diag for this project?

i have my daytona twin, got 2 xboxes, got the exact same logitech steering wheels, so im ready to start putting it all together, my sony 29 inch tv's are on the way i have read through this many times just need to know where to connect the wires for pedals, steering, gears etc.

cheers, kevin

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 15, 2010, 08:44:30 AM »
sorry to revive this but do you have a wiring diag for this project?
I have my daytona twin, got 2 xboxes, got the exact same logitech steering wheels, so im ready to start putting it all together, my sony 29 inch tv's are on the way i have read through this many times just need to know where to connect the wires for pedals, steering, gears etc.
cheers, kevin

Hi Kevin and welcome  ;)

Well, I didn't documented my work... because it was a kind of 'experience'  :P But I'm more than happy with this setup who works 100% and gives a lot of fun  :-*
If you have a Daytona Twin, I suggest you to emulate Daytona USA with Nebula Emulator. And yes, this emulator can manage link games  :-*
At the time, when I've started this project, Daytona wasn't emulated... that's the reason why I went on Out Run 2, but because now the Daytona USA emulation is very accurate, I would like to go to back to Daytona  :P But I've too many projects to finish first before going back on this twin  :-\
Just set up Nebula Emulator for Daytona, buy an APAC (available here) to connect the pedals, wheels and buttons...very easy. Do you still have the original Daytona monitors by the way?

80stoyshop

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 18, 2010, 11:18:53 AM »
thanks for the reply, yes i still have the monitors, do i still need them or shall i move over to the sony tv's because the tvs are real cheap nowadays nobody wnats them.
will the apac board allow me to connect all the steering wheel pedals etc or do i do it the way you did?

Andypc

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 25, 2010, 09:13:07 PM »
Hi,

I am new on this forum. I know vib_ribbon as he sold me an Egret 3 Marquee a while back. Glad to see you finally got the Crazy Taxi you were after :D I am currently working on a conversion of an old Sega Rally cab. I have installed a Logitech G25 Steering Wheel that is compatible with both the PC and PS3. I was going to use the G25's pedals, but then saw the Pedal mod done by Darth Nuno 8) So I have been busy cleaning up and restoring the original pedals. The problem I have is that the Sega pedals use 5k pots, but the Logitech G25 apparently uses 10k pots. Is it possible to get 10k pots to replace the Sega ones i.e. of similar spec / quality only 10k or is it possible to get the 5k pots working correctly with the Logitech G25. I would be grateful for any advice.

This is the cab before the steering wheel and monitor surround went on.

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 26, 2010, 05:18:39 PM »
Hello Andypc pc and welcome here.

I only have experienced that racing wheel  :arrow:

...and I'm very lucky with this one, because the value of the POT was just fine for the conversion. It's probably possible to hack the hardware of your G25, but it would require an interface that convert the 5K from the original SEGA pot into the 10K on your G25 pot'...

Because you plan to use a computer, just keep the original SEGA racing wheel/pedal and use the A-PAC. You'll be able to play Out Run2 like I did here but also Daytona or Sega Rally via Nebula emulator  ;)

Andypc

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 26, 2010, 08:47:59 PM »
The G25 wheel is already in the cab and working  :D It works really well and I get force feedback with PC & PS3 games that support it i.e. Outrun 2, GTI Club, Sega Rallt Revo. The Nebula Model 2 emulator also supports force feedback with the G25. The only real thing left to sort out is the pedals.

Andypc

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 09, 2010, 02:05:53 AM »
I managed to find some 10k potentiometers to modify my original Sega pedals ;D They work perfectly and I get full throttle and braking with out any problems. The full details of my cab conversion can be seen at "jammaplus.co.uk" or "arcadeotaku.com"

A few youtube clips of the cab in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_Nwh_nS1aE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXifTUt9agU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5AAOuZzyZU