Author Topic: ::RoadTrip + Project:: DAYTONA USA -> OutRun2 *Da Conversion*  (Read 151082 times)

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
Re: ::RoadTrip + Project:: DAYTONA USA -> OutRun2 *Da Conversion*
« Reply #90 on: November 16, 2011, 10:55:17 PM »
Back on this  8)

Playing Out Run 2 vs in a twin racing cab' is still great, but I had always mixed feelings about a cabinet supposed to play a certain game -in that case DAYTONA USA- but for X reasons, it's not case  :oops:
More than 4 years ago when I decided to convert that completely dead twin cab into Out Run 2 powered by XBox, there was no other option than tying to repair with expensive and fragile Daytona boards. I of course tried that way but I didn't want to spend €€€ and fight against all these curses around these model 2 boards from hell  :evil:   
No accuracy emulation at the time... but things changed since the release of the fabulous Model 2 emulator 1.0.
Ok... it's nice to play Daytona via Model 2 emulator but what about the its integration into the original Twin Racing cab? About about the steering wheel, the link mode,...
To be honest I spent XX hours working on my Daytona to Out Run 2 project, and I don't want to roll back all that work done... I have no time for all this anyway.
So what? I want this Daytona cab plays Daytona USA!
The major problem is the current steering wheel interface used : an XBOX version (hacked in order to match the real Daytona controls), and I don't want to remove it because I still want to play Out Run 2. I got the information (thanks to BigPanik) that an XBOX peripheral like this steering wheel can be used ... also on a computer. I just have to use a simple passive adapter to plug the XBOX cable into... a simple USB cable, and download a specific drivers.

OK, let's try if I can really use the hardware supposed to be for XBOX only, on a PC computer. First let's setup model2 emulator on my laptop :

Cool, the game play very well on that laptop  :)

Here's the specs :

Sony VAIO
Intel Core Duo Processor T2400 1,83 Ghz
NVidia Geforce Go 7400

Now let's use the XBOX to PC USB adapter in order to use the steering wheel with this emulator :

Good point, Wndows XP detects a bew peripheral, but of course it cannot recognise it  ::) After downloading a special 'modified' drivers... yessss!!!! The wheel is perfectly detected  :-* :-* :-*

Let's calibrate it, setup the emulator controls .... and test the result..... check all of that in that video  8)  :arrow:

...to continue...

BigPanik

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 17, 2011, 12:33:42 AM »
good thing!  ;D

Next step is to use the original steering wheel. We have developed a board (named L2M2) allowing you to retrieve original Force feedback with a PC.

BP

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 17, 2011, 08:05:23 AM »
Nice work! ;)

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 17, 2011, 11:02:10 AM »
This is going to be a multi racer!
Cool!

Just a simple connector switch in the end and you can play both "hardware"  :spaceace:

Perhaps integrate a switch so you dont need to swap connectors anymore, and intergrate bot the xbox and pc in the cabinet ?

looks like enough space under the seat  :P

PunkRockCaveman

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 17, 2011, 12:07:46 PM »
Hmmm, thats a very good start indeed! I thought about maming (though it's not mame ;)) my Daytona too. I was lucky enough to get a working boardset recently though (thank good for that one!). The controls itself are not that difficult to adapt to other "platforms" as pc or xbox .. even the new consoles are possible to adapt. BUT the force feedback is really hard to bring to life, also the 4-way-shifter of the Daytona isn't applicable for every game and Daytona without manual shifting is bad. You see it in the video ... brunos lap times are no good  :P (sorry, no offence here, it's just a technical comment on your turn technique ;))

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 17, 2011, 08:21:03 PM »
good thing!  ;D
Next step is to use the original steering wheel.

I'm already using the original steering wheel/pedals to play here  :)

We have developed a board (named L2M2) allowing you to retrieve original Force feedback with a PC.
BP

That's sounds good! But I'll have to check if I still have all the FF parts behind the panel however... I hope so  8)

This is going to be a multi racer!
Cool!
Just a simple connector switch in the end and you can play both "hardware"  :spaceace:
Perhaps integrate a switch so you dont need to swap connectors anymore, and intergrate bot the xbox and pc in the cabinet ?
looks like enough space under the seat  :P

Yeps, the only manual operations to do for switching between the XBOX and the PC will be the USB cable for controls, and the audio cable. A manual switch box will handle this I presume.
You're right, the first objective is of course to play Daytona USA, but as you can see on the video, It will play other model 2 games such Sega Touring Car, Sega Rally, Indianapolis 500,... and why not ... MODEL 3 games like Scud Race , Le Mans 24 or even Daytona 2, but I'll have to get more powerful computers to do that  :P

...the force feedback is really hard to bring to life, also the 4-way-shifter of the Daytona isn't applicable for every game and Daytona without manual shifting is bad. You see it in the video ... brunos lap times are no good  :P (sorry, no offence here, it's just a technical comment on your turn technique ;))

Thanks to the L2M2, the force feedback should be back. Regarding the 4 way shifter, not sure to be able to use it. Anyway, I've never selected 'manual shit' in any racing game, so it would not be a major problem for me.
LOL, I really suck in that video I know, but I did not really play to be honest... it was just the first run with a playable setup  ;) Wait for the final video  8)

Hey, I still had three pictures on the server...nothing new, but just for the fun...

Ok, next step will the 'link mode' test  8)

emmanu888

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 23, 2012, 08:37:12 PM »
you know you should get a more powerful pc and have model 3 racing game as well like Daytona USA 2 and Scud Race on your daytona cab

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 23, 2012, 10:45:57 PM »
you know you should get a more powerful pc and have model 3 racing game as well like Daytona USA 2 and Scud Race on your daytona cab

Does the model 3 emulator can work in 'link mode' too?
What would be the correct PC specification to emulate Scud Race in full frame speed?

emmanu888

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 07, 2012, 05:16:23 AM »

Does the model 3 emulator can work in 'link mode' too?
What would be the correct PC specification to emulate Scud Race in full frame speed?

unfortunately their's no link mode for the moment and for the specs i would say either the amd 1055t six core cpu or a core i5 cpu with a geforce gts 450 (i have that gpu and daytona usa 2 and scud race works on my pc without any problem)

btw here's my pc specs which run those two games without problem http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2431410
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 05:24:13 AM by emmanu888 »

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 07, 2012, 08:20:13 AM »
Thanks for the PC specification.
I must confess I'm completely 'out' regarding the PC hardware/specification nowadays  :oops:. I never went further than Windows XP, and always used MOBO with AGP board (which is not used anymore I guess?). I'm fine with my knowledge level because it's enough to setup advance mame config for old games, but I'm a little bit 'out' for new emulator like model 2 / 3   ::) I don't play on computer anymore, and I'm a iMac user since few years so...  :P

emmanu888

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 07, 2012, 04:21:16 PM »
Thanks for the PC specification.
I must confess I'm completely 'out' regarding the PC hardware/specification nowadays  :oops:. I never went further than Windows XP, and always used MOBO with AGP board (which is not used anymore I guess?). I'm fine with my knowledge level because it's enough to setup advance mame config for old games, but I'm a little bit 'out' for new emulator like model 2 / 3   ::) I don't play on computer anymore, and I'm a iMac user since few years so...  :P

your welcome and yes agp is not used anymore now its pci express

slowcade

• Norway
    • View Profile
    • http://slowcade.blogspot.com/
« Reply #101 on: November 17, 2012, 08:59:46 PM »
I am a big fan of Outrun 2, and I have been considering to import one from Asia since many years ago.
However, I am also thinking about going the same route as you, and convert a cheaper cabinet with the Xbox version.
I have recently been offered a double Sega Le Mans 24. The cabinet looks correct (except the colours), and it even has the up down gear shift. Do you think it would be more or less like converting your Daytona? I would want to follow your method. :spaceace:

http://gamesdbase.com/game/arcade/lemans-24.aspx

leonk

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 18, 2012, 05:27:50 AM »
How accurate is the XBOX version, compared to the original?  I remember people were upset with the Dreamcast version when it came out.

If I'm not mistaken, Daytona USA is the best selling arcade game of all time.  It shouldn't be that difficult to find locally.

slowcade

• Norway
    • View Profile
    • http://slowcade.blogspot.com/
« Reply #103 on: November 18, 2012, 09:37:01 AM »
I don't want Daytona USA, I want Outrun 2. :D
DarthNuno transformed a Daytona USA into Outrun 2. I am thinking about converting a Le Mans 24 into Outrun 2.

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 18, 2012, 03:48:23 PM »
How accurate is the XBOX version, compared to the original? 

Yes, Daytona has been released for next gen (360&PS3). It looks accurate, but I'm not a Daytona USA expert tbh.
I wouldn't use that version inside a dedicated cabinet because I don't think you can select the original arcade screen ration (4/3). It displays in 'widescreen or 16/9' ration only.
I'm not sure if that version can handle 'local network' games, and the hack/integration is probably more difficult than using a computer...

I don't want Daytona USA, I want Outrun 2. :D
DarthNuno transformed a Daytona USA into Outrun 2. I am thinking about converting a Le Mans 24 into Outrun 2.

...and you won't regret it! The XBOX version of OR2, and even OR2 'coat to coast' is simply amazing to play inside a twin cabinet! Except the dedicated arcade related things (like 'insert coin', 'waiting for second player...'), It's all good! it's also  possible to have force feed back working (but require an specific interface I don't use here).