Author Topic: A couple of great finds: Punch-Out!! and Paperboy  (Read 17573 times)

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
Re: A couple of great finds: Punch-Out!! and Paperboy
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2010, 08:09:50 PM »
Yep, with a punch and a hammer
or with something like this in combination with a pin a little smaller than the hole:

then you can "push" the pin out

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2010, 08:36:21 PM »
Then the last question: how do you remove this?

see here :D
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Reinhold

• Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2010, 09:20:51 PM »
If it jams - force it.
If it brakes, it needed replacement anyway :D

If i have a problem, then i just look up, (over my Monitor is a poster with Murphy's Law) ;)

flip971

• View Profile
    • Retrogame
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2010, 12:27:25 AM »

there's a cylindrical lock in it (they call it "roll pin" on the manual): should it be removed with a hammer?  :o

Try using an "allen" (in italian "Brugola"). There are various meausure. I'd like it on my bow.

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2010, 08:19:05 AM »
it won't break out. it is a simple security bolt which holds the pieces together. you need to hammer it out (and later back in again). trust me, i've been there ... :P
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 01:36:14 PM by Superully »
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

baritonomarchetto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2010, 01:24:55 PM »

see here :D

The history repeated Ully  :D

thanks dudes. What about the primer for metal? Would it suffice to use acrilic based spray paint?
"A true Gentleman leaves no puzzle unsolved"

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2010, 01:36:46 PM »
which metal pieces do you want to use the primer on?

baritonomarchetto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2010, 04:43:47 PM »
which metal pieces do you want to use the primer on?

After a good sanding (or some immersion in a derusting solution) I was thinking to spray a transparent layer on the handlebars... i dont like the "chrome" when sprayed, and the option of a new chromium plating (like you did) is a bit too expensive ATM  :oops:

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2010, 05:16:28 PM »
hm, the problem with spraying the handlebar is that i'm not sure it is going to withstand the pressure of normal gameplay! have you tried finding a chroming company?

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2010, 06:26:53 PM »
acrylic paint sucks always...  (IMHO)

baritonomarchetto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2010, 02:07:56 PM »
have you tried finding a chroming company?

No, i did not but it's going to be an option ;)

today i tested the second board: the game doesn't start, the screen is a white image, and nothing else happen. Switchin on the test mode, the game have self test and reports a ROM error at 6R... ok, i know how to face this... and the 6502 audio processor test fails... ok ok i will study the audio part in the future, let have the game mute-running before this ... BUT there's an odd thing: if i go on with the test, the "scrolling playfield" test shows a championship sprint track  :shock: AAAAND the "motion object height" test shows the frames of a championship sprint machine...

Remebering that on the PCB there's written "paperboy video", i must suppose that this "system 2" was converted to championship sprint at some point. I am planning to put the paperboy ROMs on this video board (using the Paperboy CPU board)and see what appens.

Just a question: on my originally installed Video Board (the one with garbaged image) i have PROMs and not EPROMS ... can i use EPROMs if some reburning will be necessary? (answer to self: Yes, 27xxx EPROMs can be used in place of 23xxx PROMs)

« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 06:32:38 PM by baritonomarchetto »

baritonomarchetto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2012, 08:42:14 PM »
Wow, time passes fast!

Some update on this project: during some "swapping boards" test, i reached the point i had a garbaged image (the garbage was changing position, so i thought to a RAM problem); the machine could coin up, but the game was not playable. After almost 10 hours of testing, the Atari disco 25KHz monitor decided to die...  >:(

Ok ok, no problem, i said to me: this is not the first monitor i fix... i can do it! I bought a new flyback (maybe the last one in the world for that bastard monitor... 35 dollars shipped), replaced the old one, replaced various sensible parts (caps, white resistors, poly caps close to the EAT, the HOT, etc). The monitor lit up again! ... for almost 20 minutes, then suddently dead again... everithing else i did was for nothing.

A couple of weeks ago, finally, i had the opportunity to install an Hitachi med res from a virtua cop 2 (those monitors are really rare): the monitor have burn in, but at least it works! It's now installed, even if it was not plug & play (different connectors, different pinouts, different working voltage (japanese 100V). I forgot to shot a pic, but the next week i will take it, i promise ;)

So, in the next weeks i hope i will have the time to work on my Paperboy (there are still big problems on the borad which now don't coin up anymore and shows fixed garbage, so probably i have not only RAM errors at this time)...

Stay tuned :)

baritonomarchetto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2012, 06:10:11 PM »
Ok, here t is the image of the new "block" in place (it's in the upper left side)

The "new" monitor in place

This morning I also had the time to make some test with the new burned ROMs, but the machine still has problems (of course)

There's garbage on screen and no sound, even if the ARII has been rebuilt

I am not sure that the PCB problems are only RAM related (the "garbage" doesn't change position with time), anyhow having some new 6116 it's worth the try ;)