Author Topic: WAAAAAHHOOOOOOOOOOO !!! I've got one of my "Dream Machines" !  (Read 76111 times)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
Re: WAAAAAHHOOOOOOOOOOO !!! I've got one of my "Dream Machines" !
« Reply #75 on: March 30, 2010, 04:35:37 PM »
A brilliant deal !!!!!!!! I am SO glad I grabbed my last chance.....

So are all the machines gone now ?

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 30, 2010, 04:39:10 PM »
So are all the machines gone now ?

Why? Do you want a spare one?

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #77 on: March 30, 2010, 04:43:48 PM »
Just curious.  And I just filled out my tax declaration, and let's say I was pleasantly surprised. Very pleasantly !

O and maybe Robin wants one....

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #78 on: March 30, 2010, 04:51:53 PM »
hehe i know, don´t worry, but again, both games are great in their own way  :)
Uhhhhhhmmm.......no.

I was just thinking this: How can it be that there are relatively many Galaxian cabs in Europe and almost NO Ga-ga-ga, fuck it's hard to say: Ga-la-ga....... Mmmmmmm, now....well,  how can that be..... ? I know: The Galaxians survived because it was such a great game. The trash was taken out I'm afraid  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Robinholland

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 30, 2010, 05:52:43 PM »
Yes i want a ms-pacman (for a nice price)  ;D

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #80 on: May 15, 2010, 07:48:26 AM »
Yesterday the Ms. was made ready for what she was designed and built for:

Earn money and give joy !

We are having a "Rommelmarkt" (2nd hand stuff market) at the clubhouse of the marching band that I'm a member off. (www.harmonieslikkerveer.nl)
We get used "junk" from people and sell it at this market. The proceeds of course are for the club so we can maintain our clubhouse, buy new music, instruments etc.

To earn a little extra I put the Ms. in the bar of our clubhouse.

Before that she had to be finished for operation:
- mounted the 220V->110V transformer on the "transformer plank". Plenty of space and it looks like it belongs there already ;)
- mounted the pot-controls in the coindoor area
- installed a working €0,20 coin-mech and set the board up for 2 coins per credit. The plan was to install a coin-comparitor mech and ask €0,50. Although I got it working fine in the cab, the mech did not fit the flat-mounted coin door  :evil:
So I had to use a mechanical mech that I still had around....hope the 2x coin doesn't hurt the number of plays...
- thanks to Robin, installed the freshly burnt EPROMS so the Ms. was good old original Ms. Pac Man again ! Installed them and they worked great right away.It was GREAT to finally play the original game again !!!

This happened about 2 seconds after I had rolled it in and plugged it in:

The last guy got really hooked and played a series of games.

I'm very curious how much it will earn today ! Every bit helps ;)

I know some people wouldn't probably put a machine up for semi-public use like that, but for me there is nothing better than seeing people enjoy the machine. The machine is under constant supervision so I'm not worried about abuse. And it's not restored yet, so even if it takes a small hit, I suppose it has seen plenty more the last 30 years ! :)

Oh, and I put a "NOT FOR SALE" sign up ;)

If you want to play, the address is Prinsenstraat 76, Ridderkerk, The Netherlands. Open all day.

We also still have some 51 cm. TV's that can be used as 19" monitor ;)

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #81 on: May 15, 2010, 07:55:46 AM »
I know some people wouldn't probably put a machine up for semi-public use like that, but for me there is nothing better than seeing people enjoy the machine. The machine is under constant supervision so I'm not worried about abuse. And it's not restored yet, so even if it takes a small hit, I suppose it has seen plenty more the last 30 years ! :)

I totally agree with you!  :)
It's good to see our old games, played like back in the days... by 'strangers'  8)

I love this kind of story  :-*

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 15, 2010, 08:24:16 AM »
thx for sharing, andré! good to see the machine back on location. do you have any pics from the inside? would like to see where you put the transformer ...
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 15, 2010, 08:44:49 AM »
Great story!  :D

scr33n

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 15, 2010, 09:00:26 AM »
Thanks André  :spaceace: nice pics  :-* :-*
PROJECTS FROM SCRATCH:

Galaga - PacMan - Donkey Kong Red Cab - Track & Field Upright - Tempest - Burgertime - Gyruss - Defender - Track & Field Cocktail - Robotron 2084

RESTORATIONS:

Q*bert - Timber

mchay

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 15, 2010, 09:08:44 AM »
It will be interesting to see how much play it will get throughout the day. I'm guessing quite a lot.

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 15, 2010, 10:25:56 AM »
That is really nice. It's also a good test case for you to see how the cab will function when it is plugged in for a whole day. Have fun.

Ronald Reagan

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 15, 2010, 12:17:25 PM »
haha great story and pics. Must have been really nice for those people to see a really old arcade cabinet and be able to play it.
An Error Has Occurred!
The last posting from your IP was less than 40 seconds ago. Please try again later.

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #88 on: May 16, 2010, 11:07:44 AM »
Well, I have to say the machine wasn't as big a succes as I had imagined, and there is one big simple reason for it. It was on the wrong spot.

Of all the hundreds of people that visited, very few of them visited the bar area to get a drink or so. Even fewer kids would go up there. The problem with our building is that the ground around it has inclined very much over the years, (a common thing to happen in the west of The Netherlands) and so, to enter the building, you have to take a improvised step. This makes it that people don't walk in there "just like that". We will be raising the ground area around the building this year so that will be solved at least ;)

The total in the coin bucket was a meager €4,80
Counting for 12 plays  ::) ::) ::) ::)

I thought about moving it outside where the herds of people were, but there simply was no room for it anywhere.

I also think the 2x €0,20 set-up hindered people to play because it's more common to have a 1 €0,50 coin around then 2 €0,20

Definitely not worth dragging it up there and back.....although we had some good fun (at free play games) during the early night ours (some guys had to keep awake during half the night to watch over all the stuff outside).

The machine however performed without a single problem, which is good to know.

I'm not giving up easy and next year I hope to get maybe 2 or 3 machines up there and give it a good (dry and darkish) spot outside where EVERYONE walks by.....

Will post pics of the transformer today Ully.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 11:13:26 AM by Level42 »

gyruss

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 16, 2010, 04:49:05 PM »
Great to see the cabinet in use again, to bad it didnt make much money. Offtopic: I came across some super mario toys but the are expensive!! I guess 50 euro is too much for one??