Author Topic: :: UK Road Trip #14 :: BURGERTIME ...it's time!!!  (Read 44067 times)

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
Re: :: UK Road Trip #14 :: BURGERTIME ...it's time!!!
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2009, 06:24:25 PM »
Hey, thanks for your nice comments on this road trip'  :-*

Ok, after a night inside the car, it's time to awake Peter Pepper  ;D  :arrow:

Yeah... Yeah ... I know it's good to sleep... but it's time Peter...

Stand up!  :arrow:

Very nice condition as you can see  :-* :arrow:

This cab was in my 'must have' list since a very long time ... but now... This is it  :-*  :arrow:

I got also a NOS bezel + a repro CPO :

Next step... check up!  ;)

logan

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2009, 05:38:31 PM »
bruno, how much space do you have in your Lair??  :shock: :shock: soooo many cool roadtrips! awesome!
Thanksy for all the grat pictures!  :wink:

scr33n

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2009, 07:00:23 PM »
bruno, how much space do you have in your Lair??  :shock: :shock: soooo many cool roadtrips! awesome!

Hey .... no problems, the V3 is around the corner  :wink: :-*  right Bruno?
PROJECTS FROM SCRATCH:

Galaga - PacMan - Donkey Kong Red Cab - Track & Field Upright - Tempest - Burgertime - Gyruss - Defender - Track & Field Cocktail - Robotron 2084

RESTORATIONS:

Q*bert - Timber

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2009, 07:16:57 PM »
Of course no more space available in the game room  :oops: ...and so... some games are back in the family house (  :oops: ) ... but fortunately... the V3 IS coming (I'll post more info in the dedicated topic ;) )...

retromax

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2010, 07:45:24 PM »
Wow.... to think all the distance you travelled for that cab!!, I live in the UK and think it's a bit far if I have to travel 40 miles to pick up a cab :lol:
Nice little trip there

METALHEAD

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2010, 01:26:09 AM »
I gotta say, living in America, I can't even imagine driving your car "into" a train to go somewhere.  I would much rather just drive there HAHA.  Guess that is a piece of culture shock for me.  When I saw them do it on Top Gear I thought it was just for fun !

polaris

• veni vidi congai
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2010, 03:04:27 AM »
I gotta say, living in America, I can't even imagine driving your car "into" a train to go somewhere.  I would much rather just drive there HAHA.  Guess that is a piece of culture shock for me.  When I saw them do it on Top Gear I thought it was just for fun !

driving on to the train in a double decker bus is stranger, you would never think it would fit
just keeping an eye on things

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2010, 07:55:08 AM »
I gotta say, living in America, I can't even imagine driving your car "into" a train to go somewhere.  I would much rather just drive there HAHA.  Guess that is a piece of culture shock for me.  When I saw them do it on Top Gear I thought it was just for fun !

The train connects the UK to mainland Europe via a tunnel. If you want to take your car to the UK (or the other way around), you either take a ferry (the good old way) or that train. There is no way to drive there directly. Because of the extreme length of the tunnel (over 50 km) that would be way too dangerous.
There are also hi-speed "normal" passenger trains using the tunnel.

Here's all info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Channel_Tunnel

I've been to the UK a zillion times and I've travelled by ferry, by jetfoil and even hovercraft (last two are out of service since about 10 years), but never by the Eurotunnel train yet.

It seems to be the cheapest way when you do a two day (or one day) round-trip.

There are other (regular) car-trains in Europe though. You can use them to go on holiday from f.i. The Netherlands to France etc. but I would say that it's a very marginal number of people who use it. (http://www.seat61.com/Motorail.htm)
In Switzerland there are mandatory car-trains to cross the mountains. This is done to keep environmental pollution in the Alps in control.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 08:09:24 AM by Level42 »

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2010, 05:26:51 PM »
It seems to be the cheapest way when you do a two day (or one day) round-trip.

REALLY? i've only checked it once when i wanted to go to england last year, but it was way more expensive than ferries ...

@bruno: what's the average fare you pay for a roundtrip? you seem to have some kind of experience  ;)
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

petieken

• Belgium
    • View Profile
    • My VAPS Entry
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2010, 05:38:55 PM »
I don't know if this is still true, but last time I went to the UK by ferry (~7 years ago...) there was still an arcade room on the boat 8). I can't remember I was bored there ;D.
Don't know about the prices, but the train is more recommended (timewise) if you want to do a round-trip in 2 days.
Wanted: Cadillacs and Dinosaurs CPS1 Q-Sound pcb | SegaSonic The Hedgehog Art & instruction set

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2010, 06:05:13 PM »
@bruno: what's the average fare you pay for a roundtrip? you seem to have some kind of experience  ;)

Mhhh... just an example, I would say ;

EuroTunnel : 70 - 80€  (for a car and without trailer... just double the price if you have a trailer)
Fuel : you can calculate ... but my average distance is ofter 1000km... Hopefully my car doesn't need a lot of fuel, and fuel is cheap in Luxembourg  :P
If you go further than London, you probably will pass the Dartford Tunnel... and so, you'll have to pay 1 or 2£ each time ... cheap
ArcadeLifeStyle things : Burger King, Dr Peppers, chips... any food... up to you  ;D

So as you can see, it's not too expensive... but it may be a far trip for some of you, and also a little bit dangerous, because driving on the left side of the road may be a little bit 'disturbing'... you'll have to be focus !  ;) Hopefully my wife keep an eye on the road all the time and she never stops to say me : be careful about this... pay attention to that ... blablabla...  ::) :P ;D

Roadtripin' is priceless  8) 8) 8) ...but most of you already know that  ;D

:spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2010, 06:41:33 PM »
EuroTunnel : 70 - 80€  (for a car and without trailer... just double the price if you have a trailer)

less than 100 euros for a roundtrip? that's cheap!!!

is that a special offer you have to book online or can you just drive up there and "hop on board"?
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2010, 09:24:12 PM »
http://www.eurotunnel.com/ET_P3UI/Passenger/Templates/xxtPassenger3ColLeft.aspx?NRMODE=Published&NRNODEGUID=%7bD2766C7A-5F5D-4BBD-A458-EF59630F9898%7d&NRORIGINALURL=%2fukcP3Main%2fukcPassengers%2fukcTickets%2f&NRCACHEHINT=Guest#

Paying at "the port" is almost always more expensive. The ticket is also pretty flexible, if you are earlier or later it doesn't really matter much...

Actually looks like the ferries are at least as cheap for 2 day round-trips:
http://www.poferries.de/tourist/inbound.html
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 09:28:25 PM by Level42 »

JG

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2010, 01:22:13 AM »
Burgertime, I'd lift that of your hands anytime, I'll drive down there and pick it up and take pictures of the trip if that's what's needed!

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2010, 09:15:15 AM »
is that a special offer you have to book online or can you just drive up there and "hop on board"?

It's the normal price, and you have to book online, just to be sure about the train availability regarding your schedule.
I think you can also drive up without reservation, but you take the risk to wait a moment there...