Author Topic: Displaying hi-score in your game room?  (Read 55774 times)

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
Re: Displaying hi-score in your game room?
« Reply #60 on: June 29, 2013, 02:15:10 PM »
Here's my input  :)

- display at least the five bests score for each game (name  / score / date)
- having a simple interface to input new scores, that will automatically update the scoreboard display
- Using a picture (marquee) for each game as title, like this  :arrow:

- For those of us who owns a 'certain amount' of cabinets  ;D, the program should automatically and smoothly switch between pages
- I use to track hi score *twice* for certain game like Starblade. Scores done with one credit, but also with three credits. So having a field somewhere to indicate this?

:spaceace:

Tyrem

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • SK GameNatiX
« Reply #61 on: June 29, 2013, 03:13:48 PM »
Here's my input  :)

- display at least the five bests score for each game (name  / score / date)
- having a simple interface to input new scores, that will automatically update the scoreboard display
- Using a picture (marquee) for each game as title, like this  :arrow:

- For those of us who owns a 'certain amount' of cabinets  ;D, the program should automatically and smoothly switch between pages
- I use to track hi score *twice* for certain game like Starblade. Scores done with one credit, but also with three credits. So having a field somewhere to indicate this?

:spaceace:

all this would have been on my list anyway. :) well.. with except the coin-thing.. good idea. i will see what happens when I talk to Jochen about this. :)
Looking for Dragons Lair 1 or 2, Space Ace, Double Dragon, Robotron and yeah... a Shinobi would be cool, too!

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 29, 2013, 10:58:59 PM »
I have seen that scoreboard and touch screen display during my visit at funspot last year.
maybe they can help you to find the source of this.

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 15, 2015, 09:53:34 PM »
Well... I really tried to find something that fully matches my needs... but nothing really usable found yet!  :-\

So in that case, there's only one solution : DO IT YOURSELF  ;)
Thanks for the CSS/PHP learning I recently had to do while building an other website (www.dariusburstex.com), I now can figure out how to set up the high scores board I always have in mind...
With some hints here & there, but also by learning enough php/sql language to do basic queries, I'm now almost done with this project  :)

Here's the specifications :

- the board displays the three best scores for each game, unique per player. So if the same player has many scores registered for the same game, only his best score will be written, so in order to avoid having written the same name multiple time per game...
- the board main screen can be resized, in order to fit any TV, any resolution and also vertical TV mount (but not specifically on mobile devices who tend to zoom in/out in a strange way sometime...)
- during the scrooling of the scores, you can move up/down the screen, this won't break the 'loop'
- you can have the same game multiple time on screen, and add specific comment like '1 credit/no continue' and 'unlimited credit', or any comment you would need...
- everything can be configured : more scores per game, the display order of the games can be selected, you can hide or remove any game, this won't alter the design, the speed of the scrooling speed, the pause...

It's funny because I worked on that project off line first, but finally made an on-line version. Here's an alpha version, which is 'tuned' for my resolution/display, so it may have the scrooling too fast/slow, or the reload screen to fast for you on your setup, but this will give you an idea. Have a look right here (CLICK ME), and do not hesitate to resize your browser to see what I mean...

Speaking of my setup, I'm using a second hand 32" full hd TV, now inside my game room  :arrow:

32" is a very good size for this  :arrow:

Because the score board is ONLINE, I'm using a PS3 (yes a Sony PS3 ;D) that use the wifi of my game room to access the url and display in full screen the score on my 32" display... and voilĂ   ;D
But of course I could be used with a simple computer, an appleTV or better, a wifi connected TV and in that case, no need anything else... the TV will go to the url and do the job all alone!  :) In short, any device that can use an internet browser...

Now I'm working on an on-line form that will allow me to update score from an Ipad or anything else, in real time! It means that when someone will do a score in the game room, I'll update it in no time and it will be display immediately on the screen!  :)
I also have to work on the general design, size of the fonts, the colors... but... I'm already very happy with this alpha version to be honest!
And having this thing working push me to score in order to flll these empty spaces... to bad I didn't keep track of high scores done by the visitors in the past, but this gonna change starting from now!  ;D

Muerto

• 'High Score' keeper
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 15, 2015, 10:15:01 PM »
Wow, looking really good bruno! Any chance the code will be freeware? ::) :spaceace:

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 15, 2015, 10:20:10 PM »
Wow, looking really good bruno! Any chance the code will be freeware? ::) :spaceace:

I may work on that, when everything will be ready  ;)

scr33n

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 15, 2015, 11:04:21 PM »
Awesome solution Bruno  :spaceace: :-*
PROJECTS FROM SCRATCH:

Galaga - PacMan - Donkey Kong Red Cab - Track & Field Upright - Tempest - Burgertime - Gyruss - Defender - Track & Field Cocktail - Robotron 2084

RESTORATIONS:

Q*bert - Timber