Author Topic: TRACK AND FIELD UPRIGHT CAB - Scratch Built Replica  (Read 226048 times)

EvilDindon

• View Profile
Re: TRACK AND FIELD UPRIGHT CAB - Scratch Built Replica -
« Reply #165 on: October 14, 2009, 07:45:48 PM »
Great work as usual !

Never played tempest but I know this is a famous vector game.

I suggest you use a 21" PC monitor capable of 1600x1200 : this will make the game look like on original vector monitor.

Some ideas of other classics of all time for your next builds : q*bert, karate champ (data east), kung-fu master, gouls'n ghosts, ghosts'n goblins, street fighter II, marble madness, rolling thunder, shinobi, dragon's lair (lol), out run (this one should be difficult), etc...

scr33n

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 14, 2009, 08:39:51 PM »
Great work as usual !

I suggest you use a 21" PC monitor capable of 1600x1200 : this will make the game look like on original vector monitor.

Thanks EvilDindon  :-*

21"  :roll: you've tried this configuration? Pc monitor with normal or flat screen? Best MAME (or other emulators) for best vector effects?

Thanks  :spaceace: :spaceace:

PROJECTS FROM SCRATCH:

Galaga - PacMan - Donkey Kong Red Cab - Track & Field Upright - Tempest - Burgertime - Gyruss - Defender - Track & Field Cocktail - Robotron 2084

RESTORATIONS:

Q*bert - Timber

retroshaun

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 15, 2009, 03:08:43 AM »
Fantastic video Scr33n  :-*

Tempest without a vector monitor? There's something so very wrong about that. Sorry, but there really is! Some of the emulators do an OK job of vector emulation but vector monitors really aren't THAT hard to find and get working... surely its worth it for such an iconic game? No?

scr33n

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 15, 2009, 08:56:11 PM »
but vector monitors really aren't THAT hard to find and get working... surely its worth it for such an iconic game? No?

??? ??? Here in Europe (and especially in Italy  >:()  are almost impossible to find  :-\

PROJECTS FROM SCRATCH:

Galaga - PacMan - Donkey Kong Red Cab - Track & Field Upright - Tempest - Burgertime - Gyruss - Defender - Track & Field Cocktail - Robotron 2084

RESTORATIONS:

Q*bert - Timber

retroshaun

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 16, 2009, 05:54:19 PM »
Import! Its worth it :)

EvilDindon

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 19, 2009, 10:37:32 PM »
Great work as usual !

Thanks EvilDindon  :-*

21"  :roll: you've tried this configuration? Pc monitor with normal or flat screen? Best MAME (or other emulators) for best vector effects?

Thanks  :spaceace: :spaceace:

Sorry for the late response.

Yeah, a standard CRT PC monitor could simulate really well vectors at high res (1600x1200 or higher).

You'll have to try AAE too.

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #171 on: October 20, 2009, 07:12:50 AM »
No it won't.

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 20, 2009, 08:21:31 AM »
no matter what you do, nothing will make it look like a vector monitor. nevertheless, i'm more than curious how this is going to turn out. see you in spring  ;)
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #173 on: October 20, 2009, 08:35:16 AM »
If you don't have a vector monitor yet, than go with a 20" PC monitor, you'll get very good result... not perfect of course, but I can assure you the fun will be there  ;) I played that setup on the Fred's (Arcadefever) cabinet and it rocks... you'll really enjoy the game in that way too  :-* ... of course, it won't exclude the move into a real XY monitor later, but at last, you'll have something playable  8) I'm also using a PC monitor inside my Star Wars cockpit, and I'm very happy with it  :-*

PS : I suggest you to open a new topic for that project  ;)

PPS : Sorry for the off topic too  :oops: ... now let's go back to your fantastic Track and Field cab  ;)

scr33n

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 20, 2009, 07:19:19 PM »
If you don't have a vector monitor yet, than go with a 20" PC monitor, you'll get very good result... not perfect of course, but I can assure you the fun will be there  ;) I played that setup on the Fred's (Arcadefever) cabinet and it rocks... you'll really enjoy the game in that way too  :-* ... of course, it won't exclude the move into a real XY monitor later, but at last, you'll have something playable  8) I'm also using a PC monitor inside my Star Wars cockpit, and I'm very happy with it  :-*

+10000  :spaceace:

PS : I suggest you to open a new topic for that project  ;)

You're right Bruno, new TEMPEST CAB - Scratch Built Replica post will be open very soon  8) :spaceace:
PROJECTS FROM SCRATCH:

RESTORATIONS:

Q*bert - Timber

logan

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 20, 2009, 09:47:02 PM »
new TEMPEST CAB - Scratch Built Replica post will be open very soon  8) :spaceace:

no words... just  :o :o :o
Great! :)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
Re: TRACK AND FIELD UPRIGHT CAB - Scratch Built Replica
« Reply #176 on: October 20, 2009, 10:30:41 PM »
Of course the 20" PC monitor is a viable solution for a repro cab. Nothing against it. In fact, it's better to reserve the vector monitors for original cabs :D

But I keep seeing people writing stuff like that it looks exactly like the real thing, and that's just plain untrue. Mostly people who have never seen a real vector monitor write that stuff...but it's a great solution like f.i. Bruno's SW cockpit, that he found completely empty. Or a new repro cab. :D

scr33n

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 25, 2009, 04:52:15 PM »
You're right Bruno, new TEMPEST CAB - Scratch Built Replica post will be open very soon  8) :spaceace:

TEMPEST CAB - Scratch Built Replica - new topic open:

https://www.dragonslairfans.com/smfor/index.php?topic=1055.0

:spaceace:
PROJECTS FROM SCRATCH:

RESTORATIONS:

Q*bert - Timber

scr33n

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: November 24, 2009, 04:24:07 PM »
Today I received a small package from US ...

What's inside  ???

;D

Yessss full of awesome arcade keychains from a Klov's forum user: Oldtimetoys

Great quality !!!

In position:

Love it  :-* :-* :-*

PROJECTS FROM SCRATCH:

RESTORATIONS:

Q*bert - Timber

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: November 24, 2009, 06:13:39 PM »
when i see them, im thinking...   hmmm  screen needs to build some more replica's  ;D ;D ;D

this is the finish of each project !