Author Topic: :: Disney Quest : Full of Classics ::  (Read 32970 times)

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
:: Disney Quest : Full of Classics ::
« on: July 11, 2009, 03:20:42 PM »
In the Disney village, there is a special place called DISNEY QUEST.

DisneyQuest is an "indoor interactive theme park" located in Downtown Disney at the Walt Disney World Resort. DisneyQuest is housed in a five-story, windowless building; guests enter the first-floor lobby and are brought via elevator to the third floor atrium as the start of their visit. DisneyQuest contains several virtual reality attractions, classic and recent arcade video games.

Huge  :shock: FIVE floors of virtual fun?

Classics!!! Yeah baby Yeah  :P ;D  :arrow:

The map :

We are in... let's find the 'classics'  8)

Cool, check this area... Q*Bert  :-* :-* :-* ... one of the two games still in my 'Must To Have List'  8)  :arrow:

Typical US game room... as dark as possible  :-*  :arrow:

Arkanoid :

Mr Do :

...in the middle of the classics, the 'classics' reunion cabinets...

Hey, a 'playable' Robotron  :-*  :arrow:

A new 'classics' area... I'm in heaven  :-*  :arrow:

Impressive ... and we are not in the 80's  :roll: ;)  :arrow:

I wanna stay here  :P

Hey?... a working Spy Hunter ... it reminds me to repair my Spy Hunter cab'  ::)  :arrow:

Asteroids Deluxe  :-*

Awesome... nothing can beat a black & white vector monitor  :P  :arrow:

My wife is playing Joust for the first time  8)  :arrow:

« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 06:45:42 PM by DarthNuno »

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
Re: Disney Quest : Full of Classics
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 03:38:49 PM »
Is there some 'Moon Patrol' fans around?  :roll: ;)  :arrow:

...and one more area, full of classics  :o An other Q*Bert  :-*  :arrow:

Burger Time, still in my 'Must To Have List'  8)  :arrow:

Did you also notice all the other cabinets... Phoenix, Pengo, Zaxxon,...  :o

I don't remember what's this?  :arrow:

Let's continue the tour ...

I'm trying to convince my wife Q*Bert is a MUST have game for me!!!... and ASAP  ::) ;D Don't believe me? Come on and try it  ::) 8) ;D  :arrow:

A great place... everything is playable  :-*  :arrow:

Well, all these 'classics' are just a small part of the Disney Quest. Here's few pictures of the others games... far more recent   8)  :arrow:

After Burner Climax Deluxe ... linked  :-* :

This place is really huge  :shock: :

A lot of 'Virtual Reality' games ... welcome back in the 90'  ;)  :arrow:

INVASION! This game/ride is very interesting, because very similar than Galaxian3  :-*  :arrow:

I'll do a dedicated topic for this one  ;)

But of course, the ride won't be totally over without a video  ;)  :arrow:

(click on the picture to enjoy the ride)

PS : This story is a segment of a big topic called : "Holiday in Florida / Texas [features Arcade Life Style stories] ...where you'll see others 'ALS stories'  ::) ;)

:spaceace:
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 06:49:02 PM by DarthNuno »

funkycochise

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 07:26:32 PM »
Is there some 'Moon Patrol' fans around?  :roll: ;)  :arrow:

Thank you for that picture.
By the way for all the others too   :ghost:

Good to see all these classics in good shape, ready to run, in a public area.

good look in finding out the burger time and the qbert  :-\
maybe screen would be kind enough to build them for you  :oops:

arcade 4 eva

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
Re: :: Disney Quest : Full of Classics ::
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 07:33:34 PM »
wow!!!  :shock: i didn't know there was a place like that out there in the public - thx for sharing, bruno! this place looks HUUUUGE! couldn't you have simply carried the q*bert, the burgertime and the moon patrol out? i guess no one would have noticed they were missing  ;) man, this moon patrol picture is killing me - I WANT ONE  :o and q*bert would just be perfect, too - have never seen one in europe!
which of the areas was more frequented - the classics or the new ones?
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Moon Jump

• View Profile
    • Arcade Hunters
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 10:40:04 PM »
There were rumors about Disney Quest closing down and becoming another ESPN Zone, but thankfully that hasn't happened yet. I went to Disney Quest the first year they opened and you had to pay a separate admission to go there. Most of the Disney passes include stuff like Pleasure Island and the three water parks, but Disney Quest wasn't included. The way they have it is you pay a flat fee, which I think was 25-30 dollars to get in. I said to the guy, "Woah! Wait a minute! I gotta pay to get in, THEN pay to play the games?!" he just said "No, all of the games have a button where the coin slot is, just press it and it adds credits into the game, all of the games are free play." I just yelled out, "SOLD!!" paid and ran in. It's best if you can spend the whole day there and it makes it so even if you play just the arcade games you make out better then if you were playing 50 cents a game.

When you go in, two of the floors are the big attraction games like Cyberspace Mountain (A make your own rollercoster game) Ride The Comix, That one game Bruno mentioned that's like G3, Aladdin's VR Magic Carpet Ride and the river boat cruse. The classics section has this Buzz Lightyear tank game, where two people get into these tanks, one person drives and another shoots, pretty damn cool. My favorite of all the special DQ only attractions is Ride the Comix. It's a VR game where you use a lightsaber to bat off enemies and at the end the of the game you face off against one of the major villains of the game, the better you do, the harder the boss you fight. The Magic Carpet ride is really cool, they put you in a race against the clock to collect the pieces of the Scarab to get into the cave of wonders to collect the lamp, then you have to fly out as it's being destroyed in the lake of fire, just like in the movie. The other stage is going around the bazaar looking for gems and who ever finds the most wins.

Sadly, most of the games I mentioned aren't well maintained. When I went the first year everything was working perfectly. Now only one floor of ride the comix works and even some of them on the floor they tell you don't work well either. The Mighty Ducks Pinball Slam game only had half of the stations working and the ones that did, didn't work right. You'd try to go to the right and the puck would go down no matter what you did. Cyberspace Mountain was an awesome idea. They used the huge centrifuge cabs that shake and twist around to do some pretty amazing coasters. You can either make your own or ride on a preselected one. They would grade your coaster so if you made it too extreme it would tell you to tone it down. Now I hear they made the coasters much weaker, they would grade your coaster from 1-10 and now I hear 7 or 8 is the max. 

The arcade games are a mixed bag. You have the one floor where the Buzz Lightyear ride is where a majority of the classic 80's games are. When I first went there they had a sit down Star Wars, and sadly I hear it's not there anymore, but I got pictures of it because I love that cab to death.

I had to wait for that fat bitch's kid to get out of the damn game when I was there, when she did I think I kept playing it for half an hour. Also one game to note that I saw there for the first time when they opened was none other then DEATH RACE. Out of all of the arcades in the world where I'd think to find a game like Death Race it wouldn't have been in Disney World. Most of the games worked alright. Some didn't have the classic joysticks and were fitted with newer HAPP joysticks so it was weird playing some games.

They have another level with 90's games. They had a NICE 2 player cab of Capcom's The Punisher and I watched two kids kick some major ass, really took me back to the days when EVERY arcade in Disney had Ninja Turtles and that's ALL I would do. "Wanna go on Splash Mountain Nick?" "No...Turtles...." "Wanna take a picture with Mickey?" "NO! We're almost up to Shredder!!" Also, on the top floor is the food court and they have some newer cocktail table games so you can get a bite to eat and even play some Galaga too. It was cool to sit down with some chicken fingers and play Mrs. Pac-Man.

With newer games, I can see they have the new Nascar game...woopty shit. Another racing game that can't hold a candle to Daytona. Last time I was there they had a room filled with those ugly Tsumo full motion cabs that people would hog and you could never play, a few Sega and Namco Light Gun games and they had some stand up versions of The Fast and the Furious. Another room they had fighting games. Mostly Tekken and Soul Caliber 2. They just got the new Tekken 5 machines and only one of the four joysticks worked correctly. Another room after that they had a couple of music game, Percussion Masters and DDR and I think Pump it Up and they made the pinball room smaller. It's sad because the first time I went the Pinball area was huge and they had an awesome selection of games. They even had two NBA Fastbreak games linked together for two player mode. I played against this other girl and she kicked my ass and her parents even ran in and started to taunt me because I got beat by a girl. (should have gotten some digits, she was pretty cute too)  :oops:

Sadly, Disney Quest seems like a lost cause. When I first went there I was waiting to make a coaster for Cyberspace Mountain I overheard a conversation with a Disney higher up and a bunch of guys in expensive looking business suites. Disney wanted to make Disney Quest into a chain arcade like Dave and Busters, Chuck E. Cheese, etc and they only opened up one other Disney Quest that was in Chicago. I think it lasted for only two or three years before they closed it off. I think people were turned off by the fact that you couldn't just walk in and pay to play the games you wanted and had to pay the full admission price. Even the store attached to Disney Quest went from selling cool Disney Quest related stuff to just becoming a generic Disney Store. When I first went there I got a really nice black button down dress shirt with the Disney Quest logo stitched into it and now they just have nothing. The last time I went there we had to dress up for dinner at one of the restaurants and I wore that shirt then went to DQ after and one of the attendants looked at me and said, "Where the hell did you get that?"

I think if they would have opened the place during the Street Fighter II heyday it would have been more successful. Now they do include entrance to Disney Quest with the more expensive Disney Vacation plans. It is worth checking out if your on vacation in Disney but it's not as good as it was when they opened. I wish more people would check it out and that they would fix what they had, because I don't see them adding in any new attractions, anytime soon.

scr33n

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009, 11:06:43 PM »
A W E S O M E  ! ! ! !   :spaceace: :spaceace:

Sure that we are in 2009  ??? :P  and .... there's also people who play  :shock: :wink: :'(

Thanks Bruno for this trip through time  :-* :-*

good look in finding out the burger time and the qbert  :-\
maybe screen would be kind enough to build them for you  :oops:

;D ;D
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 08:07:07 AM by scr33n »
PROJECTS FROM SCRATCH:

Galaga - PacMan - Donkey Kong Red Cab - Track & Field Upright - Tempest - Burgertime - Gyruss - Defender - Track & Field Cocktail - Robotron 2084

RESTORATIONS:

Q*bert - Timber

arcadefever

• View Profile
    • http://www.arcadefever.net
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2009, 09:24:05 AM »
Nice pictures....

Look like that a few games are long gone  :-\ Battle zone, and space war, star wars ....

Here a few pictures when i went....

http://www.arcadefever.net/DISNEYQUEST/DISNEYQUEST.html

:)

« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 09:26:01 AM by arcadefever »

atarikid

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 12:48:36 PM »
Whaaa... a GORF cabinet. My all time favorite.
Very very hard to find !
Coder of EasyMame
- Pinball Star Trek NG
- Mame cabinet

Dahlor

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2010, 03:09:41 AM »
I know it's been a while, but ever since I read this, I've wondered about that "Invasion" game.

Any more info/pictures on it?

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2010, 07:02:07 PM »
I know it's been a while, but ever since I read this, I've wondered about that "Invasion" game.

Any more info/pictures on it?

You're right! I've completely forgotten this  :oops: I have some materials (pic+vid'). I'll check for that asap  8)

baritonomarchetto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2010, 10:35:25 AM »
Nice to see that one year after the first post lots of "must-have" games you mentioned are in your arcade Bruno ;)
"A true Gentleman leaves no puzzle unsolved"

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2017, 08:36:05 AM »
An interesting video about the cancellation of Disney Quest, right here.